The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
How is that ridiculous?

Skin colour isn't irrelevant at all.

And here we have a film based on the survival of one of the last isolated tribes of the amazon...oh yes, there's their leader played by Trevor Armstrong from Chipping Norton. Look at his flowing golden locks and those glistening blue eyes, his classic pale complexion. That's ridiculous. The cast of black panther being white is ridiculous. Jamaican/Irish accents that can't stay consistent is ridiculous.

Geographical and sociological isolation is a fact of history and the modern world. In fact it's only very recently with the advent of mass transport that wider integration outside of major cities has become a thing. This is reflected in literature, particularly in the portrayal of historical periods. Individual skin colour of characters can be irrelevant but in a wider group it is not.

I'm sorry that reality offends your sensibilities.

Haha I'm not the one offended here, you've made it very clear just how offended you are. I'm laughing at how triggered you are over such an insignificant thing as a non white actor playing a fantasy character/being that has never existed on Earth.

Caporegime
Haha I'm not the one offended here, you've made it very clear just how offended you are. I'm laughing at how triggered you are over such an insignificant thing as a non white actor playing a fantasy character/being that has never existed on Earth.

You seem to have mistaken offence for dislike and disconnection. Again, probably more of an indication of your feelings.

Associate
My pet peeve with this series so far, is not with the story or anything like that so far, that I can ignore for a "retelling" (old LotR trilogies and now current Amazon reteller), but... My biggest gripe... is that for supposdely 60 million an episode, there was so many visual bugs that it bugged me out (took me out temporarily from watching the film). In some stuff (bad movies, bad visuals, etc), you can ignore it, as it's expected, or in some other stuff it's done so well you can hardly see or guess where the issues are. Here? Whoever is running the visuals/3d division needs to handle things better instead of just trying to make things look "real" on screen. There's more to it than that.

Kept slightly vague to avoid spoilers for anyone. So if you've seen it, you'll know which scenes I'm talking about without being specific for those who have not seen it yet.

1. Whilst panning out from the water after diving in, it looks good. Until you notice the water crests aren't getting any smaller very quickly, but the person who dove in was getting noticeably smaller FAST.
2. Whilst attacked in the sea, something that large when diving into the water, should have created enough water displacement to basically overwhelm and stop anyone swimming from the wave created by the displacement. Instead, we got a large spash of a overhead "shower", and nothing more above or below the waterline camera.
3. During the tower, when the two are talking, the tracking for the background was off, WAAAY off. The camera movement and background were not in sync during various moments, taking you out of the scene, as well as the lighting blatantly being a lit scene and not sunlight.

:: edited in during edit ::

4. When flaming ally fell from battle, it fell at a speed that didn't match up with the flames from the scene around them. So either the battle was being fought at Dragon Ball speed levels, or it's something the vfx team should handled better.
5. When punching through a barrier, there is no impact felt at all given by the one throwing the punch. It's more camera work and the directors fault here for not conveying the strike properly by setting the scene/shot better, although the vfx crew may have had a hand here too.

Basically everything looks good, but the "physics" of it all is WAAAY off. And that's when I got taken out of each scene it happens in.

Soldato
My pet peeve with this series so far, is not with the story or anything like that so far, that I can ignore for a "retelling" (old LotR trilogies and now current Amazon reteller), but... My biggest gripe... is that for supposdely 60 million an episode, there was so many visual bugs that it bugged me out (took me out temporarily from watching the film). In some stuff (bad movies, bad visuals, etc), you can ignore it, as it's expected, or in some other stuff it's done so well you can hardly see or guess where the issues are. Here? Whoever is running the visuals/3d division needs to handle things better instead of just trying to make things look "real" on screen. There's more to it than that.

Kept slightly vague to avoid spoilers for anyone. So if you've seen it, you'll know which scenes I'm talking about without being specific for those who have not seen it yet.

1. Whilst panning out from the water after diving in, it looks good. Until you notice the water crests aren't getting any smaller very quickly, but the person who dove in was getting noticeably smaller FAST.
2. Whilst attacked in the sea, something that large when diving into the water, should have created enough water displacement to basically overwhelm and stop anyone swimming from the wave created by the displacement. Instead, we got a large spash of a overhead "shower", and nothing more above or below the waterline camera.
3. During the tower, when the two are talking, the tracking for the background was off, WAAAY off. The camera movement and background were not in sync during various moments, taking you out of the scene, as well as the lighting blatantly being a lit scene and not sunlight.

Basically everything looks good, but the "physics" of it all is WAAAY off. And that's when I got taken out of each scene it happens in.
Thanks for pointing all that out I forgot this was a documentary and not a piece of fantasy fiction :rolleyes: :confused:

• Haha
Reactions: Kyo
Associate
Thanks for pointing all that out I forgot this was a documentary and not a piece of fantasy fiction :rolleyes: :confused:

Nothing to do with documentary or fantasy. More about consistency within the actual product itself given the price sunk in (per episode, some 60 million apparently) and the fact that a LOT rides on this pilot series being successul than anything else.

Man of Honour
Isolated hidden village of hobbies...except they're a multicultural paradise. Why is Lenny Henry there with his preposterous accent?!

The origins of the Hobbits in Tolkien's work is quite diverse, coming from all over and doesn't exclude darker skinned groups, the harfoots apparently originally were of swarthier of complexion. Personally was OK with Lenny's portrayal. The harfoot accents were a bit dodgy and some of the cast were struggling to maintain that traveller brogue, for want of a better way to describe it, which was a bit distracting along with the turns of phrase sometimes having modern touches which don't really fit LOTR - which also was apparent in other areas as well.

Not onboard with the dark skinned elf - that was both obviously done for external reasons and doesn't fit with the established universe, however the actor did a credible job of portraying the character so I don't find it detracting. The elves in general are lacking a bit - rarely is their powers exposed and in LOTR every elf, even small parts, have a screen presence of an elf beyond just the costume they embody the whole demeanor, an aura as if permanently sneering but in a kind of detached way just a calm aloofness, etc. in this show they might as well be your average soap cast but in elvish costumes.

Don't get me started on the female dwarves though, it is something in the Tolkien universe which just does not convey well to screen and should be left inferred, never mind any other aspects of it. Fortunately it is, at least so far, a fairly small part which can easily be skipped past.

Soldato
Heck people ate enjoying the crap show that is Marvel these days I'm sure they will enjoy this.

It's quite amusing watching the so called "review bombing"

Just how many people did they peave off with the shows PR?

How successful could this have been if they had only have stuck to Tolkien work instead of butching it and just wanting the IP.

Man of Honour
The opinion gatekeeping in some of the reviews is hilarious - obviously a campaign given the repeated use of the same key phrases and style... which is a bit sad.

Soldato
It is nothing like as bad as the trailers and other preview stuff indicated but kind of bland. The concept of a female black dwarf really doesn't work on screen but is a fairly short section, the rest of the diversity/woke elements so far are fairly innocuous and don't really intrude unlike a lot of stuff lately.
I'm hearing it looks good but is dull as ditch water.

Associate
With your "logic" you could never have a person of colour in any Shakespeare play/movie because they'd stick out like a sore thumb. In fact in any play/movie written before POC started living in Europe and/or didn't explicitly mention that this character wasn't white. Can you not see how ridiculous that is. For most characters skin colour is irrelevant.

i don't think a lot of people realize how long POC have been living in UK/Europe hence why you get people complaining about the being in historical dramas. and for POC in LOTR, can anyone show me were Tolkien said there were NO POC in middle earth ?

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Not familiar with Tolkien lore but what was

The being that came out of the meteor. Gandalf?

Man of Honour
Not familiar with Tolkien lore but what was

The being that came out of the meteor. Gandalf?

In the lore Gandalf doesn't arrive in Middle Earth until the 3rd age, the show is set in the second age. It is possible it is one of the other Maiar - I've not checked when the others arrived.

Though Gandalf also had a similar relationship with insects for instance the moth in LOTR and an immunity to fire, the character who'd fit the best from the lore is Alatar but I don't really see his function in where they seem to be going with the story.

EDIT: Read an article which made an interesting point - if it was Gandalf it would explain why he had an affinity for Hobbits in the 3rd age, setting of the LOTR movies.

Reactions: Kyo
Back
Top Bottom