The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Associate
It wasnt awful. Okay but very slow despite running over 2 hours - not a lot of interest happened, as others have said - looks good but the rest is all a bit turgid. Obviously if you are triggered by Black Hobbits, Elves and Dwarves then it really isnt for you.

Was hoping Lenny Henry's character was going to go to an early grave but sadly no sign yet. Galadriel as the all -action sword hero is a bit jarring compared to Jacksons version.

Will keep watching on the assumption the action picks up sooner rather than later but for me HOD is better.

Soldato
Watched the first episode, visually this looks great and you can see where the money has been spent on the sets and CGI. Musically the soundtrack hits the spot, script was meh but with all the build up to the release it was to be expected.

When she was fighting the Snow Troll I was waiting for a wink to the camera with how the combat kept doing the same hit the Troll and look away with her back on show to it, It's been years since I last watched LOTR or The Hobbit but I don't remember the elf combat being like that.

Caporegime
Hugo and Kate were such powerhouses in their roles that it is almost impossible to replace them. I can't quite put my finger on it but they both seem very weak in strength of character.

I guess it is a slow start but I feel like I am watching Shakespeare not LOTR.

Soldato
A joke. It's like some Jamaican hybrid. Can't work out why everyone in that village has a different accent.
To paraphrase.... "To make a world that reflects our own".

Basically, ******** all reason other than everyone can see themselves in this show and relate.

Soldato
Sounds like it's as bad as I feared. I'm not bothering with it.
I dunno if you enjoyed the recent blandness that's the MCU offerings this'll be right up your street - if however you have a higher threshold for good TV shows you'll probably be disappointed - Seems to be the general consensus of folks elsewhere that have bit the bullet and watched the ones that dropped.

Soldato
Isolated hidden village of hobbies...except they're a multicultural paradise. Why is Lenny Henry there with his preposterous accent?!

To wind you up? I'll agree that Lenny henry is terrible casting, he's not a good actor, he was an even worse comedian but why is having actors that aren't white a problem? I didn't think any of the non white actors were any worse than some of the white ones. The women playing Galadriel is wooden, yeah she had a lot to live up to following Cate Blanchet but they could have cast it better considering she is the centre of the show.

Caporegime
To wind you up? I'll agree that Lenny henry is terrible casting, he's not a good actor, he was an even worse comedian but why is having actors that aren't white a problem? I didn't think any of the non white actors were any worse than some of the white ones. The women playing Galadriel is wooden, yeah she had a lot to live up to following Cate Blanchet but they could have cast it better considering she is the centre of the show.

It's not that they're better or worse, it just sticks out like a sore thumb. If you can't get the logic that an isolated, hidden community that is multicultural and has 472 accents doesn't make sense then nobody is really going to get it through to you.

Soldato
It's not that they're better or worse, it just sticks out like a sore thumb. If you can't get the logic that an isolated, hidden community that is multicultural and has 472 accents doesn't make sense then nobody is really going to get it through to you.

To you it does. You are assuming that it bothers everyone the way it bothers you because you're looking for it.

Caporegime
I read it elsewhere but I 100% agree that it’s the delivery of the lines that does it a bit of a disservice, like the language is too modern IMHO, Sir Ian McKellan and the others delivered the lines with such poetry you could believe they were of that age, this severely lacks that delivery sadly.

Overall I really enjoyed it though and I’m really looking forward to more of it.

Associate
I rather enjoyed the first episode, people being far too critical and getting weirdly angry about it all! Bit bizarre.
We’ll see where it all goes but nice dose of high fantasy to go with the grittier HotD. We’re getting spoilt for fantasy shows after so many years of proper rubbish.

If WoT can improve on its very average (as in bang average 5/10) first season then we’re golden.

If you want a truly disappointing fantasy adaptation should check out what was done to ‘A wizard of Earthsea’ (live action and to lesser extent animated versions) a good few years ago. Now that’s something to be angry about.

Edit: on the race stuff I do kinda get the criticism but it’s not bothered me in the slightest. For the elves there are already many varieties from high to wood. They live so long their communities don’t have to be isolated.
We know nothing of the halffoots (sp?) so maybe they’ll explain it maybe not, come up with your own head canon. They all seemed to be going for Irish accents. Forget where they live geographically, wasn’t where the shire would be, maybe central so could have been a convergence of communities after the wars to live somewhere safe?

Back
Top Bottom