The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
And in The Hobbit he described Hobbits as:

have long clever brown fingers, good-natured faces, and laugh deep fruity laughs...

And so Gollum found them hours later, when he returned, crawling and creeping down the path out of the gloom ahead. Sam sat propped against the stome, his head dropping sideways and his breathing heavy. In his lap lay Frodo's head, drowned deep in sleep; upon his white forehead lay one of Sam's brown hands,

Yes that definitely screams Hobbits of colour to me.

Maybe Sam and Frodo didn't have access to great washing facilities on their trek to Mordor, where I assume this passage comes from?

Maybe those "long clever brown fingers" had something to do with being gardeners and growers of things? maybe that's what JRRT was alluding to? maybe thinking the reader will make the connection that will bring these never-before-described beings to life?

Maybe?

Caporegime
No, once again you've failed to understand the point. The additions above make sense because the creator of the fantasy world deemed it so.

Again it's unrealistic because the creator of the fantasy world deemed it so.

Why are people such as yourself so keen to drag Real World western politics/issues etc into something that has no place in it? Ask yourself why it is so important to you to see these elements inserted into a fantasy setting that isn't reflective of the world that was created by the author. It's no different from any number of tales and myths created from places such as Africa/Asia where there isn't a white guy to be seen (nor should there be), but i'd stake my life on the fact that the same people cheering on diversity in a world created by a white dude from England would be the 1st to moan likes there's no tomorrow if there was a bunch of white actors cast in a show derived from an African myth for example.

Did he specifically say that there were never any brown hobbits/Elves/Dwarves?

Also, this series is not written or produced by Tolkien is it. It is a new adaptation of his world.

Sounds like you just got immensely triggered by having the absurdity of the Melanin argument ridiculed..

Soldato
No, once again you've failed to understand the point. The additions above make sense because the creator of the fantasy world deemed it so.

Again it's unrealistic because the creator of the fantasy world deemed it so.

Why are people such as yourself so keen to drag Real World western politics/issues etc into something that has no place in it? Ask yourself why it is so important to you to see these elements inserted into a fantasy setting that isn't reflective of the world that was created by the author. It's no different from any number of tales and myths created from places such as Africa/Asia where there isn't a white guy to be seen (nor should there be), but i'd stake my life on the fact that the same people cheering on diversity in a world created by a white dude from England would be the 1st to moan likes there's no tomorrow if there was a bunch of white actors cast in a show derived from an African myth for example.

He's trying to bait about the race mis-casting because the shows sucks, his post came from nowhere you'll notice. First post of the day, baiting. People who are rightly critical of the show of actually moved on as there's just sooo many terrible aspects to the show.

Soldato
Did he specifically say that there were never any brown hobbits
Some debate over harfoots, then again depends on how you want to interpret 'browner than'
/Elves/Dwarves?
yes
Also, this series is not written or produced by Tolkien is it. It is a new adaptation of his world.
his world, his creation, his rules.
Sounds like you just got immensely triggered by having the absurdity of the Melanin argument ridiculed..
And yet it was you that felt the need to bring it up in the 1st place, as to ridiculed, all you've done is interjected current western 21st-century social talking points into a fantasy setting that has established lore.

Soldato
Almost like Tolkien wasn't at all consistent and kept changing his mind, adding things retrospectively in later stories etc.

Yeah, but amazon knows better than the author, the 7 decades old fanbase, the scholars, the artists, Peter Jackson and his epic Trilogy...yeah they know better the Kathleen Kennedy clone, the intern-level "showrunners" and the writers of some of the worst dialogue on TV...

They know best, those people.

Soldato
Well I would prefer to focus on the content of the show, not the melanin of actors skins, but you guys keep bringing it up.
I think the best thing to do is just ignore when certain posters raise complaints. They're not happy with the show, and that is fine entertainment is subjective, but they can't stay away from the thread to keep bringing up their dislikes. Again, fine, it's a forum for discussion so they're entitled to do so.

I'm looking forward to tomorrows episode as the 3rd episode it felt like things started to pick up a bit. Dodgy horse riding segment aside, it's not been a bad show so far.

Man of Honour
In fact it's one of my biggest weaknesses in everyday life - I forget people's names within seconds of being introduced to them and it's very annoying but it's just how my brain is wired.

I don't forget a face, but I struggle to remember names in general and don't take much interest in names in movies/TV more the character.

Caporegime
Some debate over harfoots, then again depends on how you want to interpret 'browner than'

yes

his world, his creation, his rules.

And yet it was you that felt the need to bring it up in the 1st place, as to ridiculed, all you've done is interjected current western 21st-century social talking points into a fantasy setting that has established lore.

Can you quote where Tolkien wrote that there were never any brown elves/dwarves?

"all you've done is interjected current western 21st-century social talking points into a fantasy setting"

My post was literally critising those that use the real worlds biology of melanin as some sort of reason as to why Elves and Dwarves cannot be brown in a fantasy world where the trees walk and talk/wizards and socrcerers exist.

Can you not see how utterly absurd that argument is?

FYI - In the post you quoted I made no reference to any social talking points. I was saying how stupid it was to talk about how the real world's science behind skin pigmentation is somehow relevant to a fantasy world.

I kinda got the raised eyebrows about the race issue. It’s a world that doesn’t have airplanes and international travel so seeing supposed isolated communities being so diverse doesn’t necessarily make sense.
But then I watched the show and I found I couldn’t care less so it’s not a big deal. Even if it were you can just make your own head canon for those characters (if the show hasn’t done so already) so they or their family hail from elsewhere originally.

The "race" issue is interesting, since as they are a travelling folk they would come across far more "foreign" than say the Hobbits they evolved into that basically didn't leave the shire.

The closest real world I guess would be the roman armies, when they set out from Rome they would be Roma italian in effect. By the time they had spent 10 years on conquest they would be multi cultural as they absorbed conquested people into their ranks.
I see this as in effect happening ROP, a travelling community is including some diverse by very similar into their ranks.

But TBH I look past it and attempt to become involved in the story rather than fixating on facial expressions and the colour of people skin.

Soldato
I find it interesting why the shows story-telling, writing, acting, dialogue, pacing, costumes etc are so bad

As for The Harfoots, they take so little care of their own I doubt they would welcome any strangers to their company, as they leave their own to die on the road at the moment they become the slightest potential hindrance...

"We will wait for you" (but only where you're dead).

Hmmm, not really Tolkien's Hobbits these folk are they?

Soldato
Can you quote where Tolkien wrote that there were never any brown elves/dwarves?
Go back into the thread it's already been listed..
"all you've done is interjected current western 21st-century social talking points into a fantasy setting"

My post was literally critising those that use the real worlds biology of melanin as some sort of reason as to why Elves and Dwarves cannot be brown in a fantasy world where the trees walk and talk/wizards and socrcerers exist.

Can you not see how utterly absurd that argument is?
Can you point those out? Ive only ever seen folks say that Tolkien gave specific descriptions for the races, which included the colour of their skin, and thats why having <insert brown/black/asian/eskimo/martian> is wrong.
FYI - In the post you quoted I made no reference to any social talking points. I was saying how stupid it was to talk about how the real world's science behind skin pigmentation is somehow relevant to a fantasy world.
Again, are you able to point these posts out? I've just gone back a week and gave a cursory glance at posts and can't see one single person bring race into it? Or are you just making things up?

Associate
…rant…

As for The Harfoots, they take so little care of their own I doubt they would welcome any strangers to their company, as they leave their own to die on the road at the moment they become the slightest potential hindrance...

"We will wait for you" (but only where you're dead).

Hmmm, not really Tolkien's Hobbits these folk are they?
Clearly not seeing as they aren’t in the shire. No more than Sméagol was, the one that actually murdered another.

Caporegime
Go back into the thread it's already been listed..

Can you point those out? Ive only ever seen folks say that Tolkien gave specific descriptions for the races, which included the colour of their skin, and thats why having <insert brown/black/asian/eskimo/martian> is wrong.

Again, are you able to point these posts out? I've just gone back a week and gave a cursory glance at posts and can't see one single person bring race into it? Or are you just making things up?

Why do you think i am talking about you or what anyone in this thread has said :confused:

You seem to have taken my post very personally!

Caporegime
oh, so you are dredging posts up/talking points from weeks/months ago?

I was commenting on all the stupid twitter, reddit etc posts i have seen, talking about how Dwraves and Elves cannot be black because of how melanin works in the real word.

You have then seemingly gone on a rant about stuff that wasnt even that related to what i wrote.

Back
Top Bottom