The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Caporegime
Things really picking up with ep. 4. Definitely clichéd but it works.

Yeah I really enjoyed that episode, and didn't see any weird super slo mo (standard slow motion was used appropriately)

Galadriel actress is quite convincing now in the role, nothing particularly out of place other than maybe the ease of Galadriel pushing 4 soldiers in to a small cell.

Good to see what the hilt does.

Soldato
Yeah I really enjoyed that episode, and didn't see any weird super slo mo (standard slow motion was used appropriately)

Galadriel actress is quite convincing now in the role, nothing particularly out of place other than maybe the ease of Galadriel pushing 4 soldiers in to a small cell.

Yea she was a bit better this episode but still not convinced. That bit with the cell was quite bad, aside from that an excellent episode. The dwarf stuff is probably the best in the show, that relationship with Elrond and Durin (invested in the characters now) Kind of missed the hobbits this episode too.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Not impressed by galadriel. When she was arguing with the queen she just looked constipated. Not angry or intimidating. After the slow mo ridiculousness last week it really didn't add to her credibility as an actress! Much prefer Miriel.

Numenoreans are supposed to be some of the greatest soldiers ever to have existed, her just tossing 4 of them about like children is daft.

Also can't work out if they're running split timelines or not. The rings should already have been forged about 1500 years before isildurs birth and he seems to be early 20s (can't be older than 25 as he hasn't graduated yet). He should be about 100 when numenor falls and yet that seems to be rapidly approaching!

Soldato
Enjoyed that more than the first 3, pretty good episode and seems to be building the tension quite well now. Still can’t warm to MC, though I did enjoy her ‘let me speak to your father’ outburst. :cry:

Associate
Enjoyed that more than the first 3, pretty good episode and seems to be building the tension quite well now. Still can’t warm to MC, though I did enjoy her ‘let me speak to your father’ outburst. :cry:
Pretty much mirrored my thoughts! Think it's improving as getting used to characters and arcs now; although it's halfway through now so imagine it will kick into some more action soon!

Soldato
Have you read the Lord of the Rings? Genuine question. Whilst it's been surpassed by modern authors, in my opinion, it's still a cracking read. And it's always good to read the daddy of the genre so to speak.

Greatest writer? No. Greatest World builder? yes, unsurpassed, incomplete or not, contradictory at times or not. The depth and detail is incredible, I think that's why ME is the King, and stands where it is today, and will always stand more than likely. No fantasy writer has ever penetrated popular culture to this depth before.

Steven Erikson is a better writer and in terms of ambition I think the only who one comes close. His and ICE's world is spectacular. But you'll have guessed my thoughts from my username no doubt!

WOT. I can't speak the World building there I just know the writing sent me to sleep very early on, and most say is middle section is awful. I haven't read Sanderson, who everyone raves about, but maybe he'll get to finish ASOIAF as well, which I mercifully never read beyond book 1 and a bit of bk 2, thinking I'll watch the TV show then finish the books, but alas it looks like that will never be finished by GRRM.

Man of Honour
Forbes

Don't think they are a fan of Guyladriel

TBH reading that article paints something awkwardly clear - if this isn't building to something where a lot of the points the author makes don't lead to something then the script has been written by a half-wit. I've been tolerant with it so far hoping it was going somewhere but I'm increasingly coming to the same opinion too many things are just silly.

For example the orcs digging the trench ostensibly to stay out of the sunlight... only for them to stick some cloaks on and dance around in the sunlight when it suits them... (OK they might have needed to raid a human settlement to get them originally but going by the prisoner numbers, etc. that would have been significantly past-tense).

Last edited:
Soldato
I quite enjoyed Ep4.

I don't want to jump on the MC hate train but there's something about her that is a little bit off in giving a performance. She doesn't have that bit of 'oomph' in her voice. In the scenes where she is raising it it just sounds louder rather than more intense. I'm not really wording it well.

I then thought perhaps English is her second language but it appears that it isn't. I don't hate her in the role but there was the a scene in yesterdays episode where I just didn't believe her

Raz

Raz

Soldato
TBH reading that article paints something awkwardly clear - if this isn't building to something where a lot of the points the author makes don't lead to something then the script has been written by a half-wit. I've been tolerant with it so far hoping it was going somewhere but I'm increasingly coming to the same opinion too many things are just silly.

For example the orcs digging the trench ostensibly to stay out of the sunlight... only for them to stick some cloaks on and dance around in the sunlight when it suits them... (OK they might have needed to raid a human settlement to get them originally but going by the prisoner numbers, etc. that would have been significantly past-tense).

You mean like using eagles to fly to Mordor instead of sending a hobbit and his friends by foot...;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
For example the orcs digging the trench ostensibly to stay out of the sunlight... only for them to stick some cloaks on and dance around in the sunlight when it suits them...

When did this happen? Perhaps I didn't notice, but I thought they were consistent in the orcs keeping out of direct sunlight but coping with daylight if it was behind clouds. There were quite a few shots showing the sun going behind clouds and the shadow moving across the landscape and stuff.

Caporegime
When did this happen? Perhaps I didn't notice, but I thought they were consistent in the orcs keeping out of direct sunlight but coping with daylight if it was behind clouds. There were quite a few shots showing the sun going behind clouds and the shadow moving across the landscape and stuff.

Seemed consistent to me as well.

It went cloudy, then it was nighttime

Back
Top Bottom