The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Caporegime
When did this happen? Perhaps I didn't notice, but I thought they were consistent in the orcs keeping out of direct sunlight but coping with daylight if it was behind clouds. There were quite a few shots showing the sun going behind clouds and the shadow moving across the landscape and stuff.

When they killed Medhor.

Soldato
Also can't work out if they're running split timelines or not. The rings should already have been forged about 1500 years before isildurs birth and he seems to be early 20s (can't be older than 25 as he hasn't graduated yet). He should be about 100 when numenor falls and yet that seems to be rapidly approaching!

This is one of the major downsides to compressing the second age into a series like this, everything is completely out of kilter with Men, Elves are fine as they're immortal, but Men are short lived, even the men of Numenor in comparison.

Caporegime
This is one of the major downsides to compressing the second age into a series like this, everything is completely out of kilter with Men, Elves are fine as they're immortal, but Men are short lived, even the men of Numenor in comparison.

It's throwing things off and really isn't doing justice to the timescale over which saurons plans come to fruition and just the extent of the war.

Soldato
Also can't work out if they're running split timelines or not.
Maybe they're going to do a West World and reveal it wasn't a single timeline at the end of the season

I'm also wondering if this story is the arc that turns Galadriel into a noble elf with compassion like in the trilogy, because right now it seems to be Galadriels angsty teenage years and with elves living so long I guess it could be explained that way

Soldato
Still not really feeling the vibe, even with Ep4. One consolation is that the cringing depiction of the Hobbit ancestors (nomadic Halfwits or whatever non Tolkien canon they are being called) was absent, but that also meant we are no closer to finding whether the tongue tied extra terrestrial (!) is Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast or someone else the story writers have conjured up.

There has always been a problem with bringing Tolkien to the screen, especially the almost biblical span of the events through The Silmarilion and the LOTR Appendices, just doesn't quite gel into a close detailed story with modern idiom and mannerisms.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's never actually said as I remember, though I think you just observe that Gandalf sense that in Frodo.
Yeah, it's never explicitly stated, however Gandalf knows the ring corrupts whoever has it and seeing as Bilbo had the ring 60 years and Frodo had it for nigh on 20 years (Gandalf knows hobbits are by their very nature the most resistant to the rings corruption) they agree the best choice was a hobbit.
I think he says who would pay any attention to small hobbits.
No army was large enough to breech the black gate so they decide on a small sneaky group to carry the ring undetected.

Caporegime
More because he seemed resistant to most of it's effects I thought?

As I recall, they weren't planning on the Hobbits taking the ring. They had a big council meeting arguing what to do for ages, and then Frodo said he would take it and they formed the Fellowship. It was more because they couldn't agree on anything else than because it was their first choice plan.

Man of Honour
I’m glad they gave some mention in this episode to Gladriel having absolutely no tact. Her lack of temperance as a ‘dismissive elf’ has been a little grating so good to see it noted as a negative! I would hope her character development is dropping those tendencies. Still, how she got the city onside like that… quite the flip flop.

I like the dwarfs in this the best, by far.

I’m not being wowed as a whole but, as I’ve said, “TV show” - they rarely draw me in.

Soldato
I thought I would start watching it again before watching ep 4 knowing what it would be like and I have to say I am enjoying it more second time round. Taking more things in.

Last edited:
Soldato
So we watched the first 4/5ep back to back and I have to say I think it fell flat on it's face.

There's big stories completely missed and as such the events seem entirely random.

Soldato
As I recall, they weren't planning on the Hobbits taking the ring. They had a big council meeting arguing what to do for ages, and then Frodo said he would take it and they formed the Fellowship. It was more because they couldn't agree on anything else than because it was their first choice plan.
Elrond's reply to Frodo after stating he would take the ring but didn't know the way was something like this, ""I think that this task is appointed for you, Frodo; and that if you do not find a way, no one will." So it was certainly bubbling under and as the wiser heads at the Council couldn't come up with a better idea stayed as Plan A, so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom