The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
There's likely a reason for the painted (non real) armour approach; the actress size and physical strength/endurance is likely not in a state that is capable of wearing actual armour, however cosmetic (and lighter than real armour) like the actors in LotR and Hobbit trilogy. The vfx shot of her hanging onto a dagger on the climb up the icy mountain was another example of this (arms did not sell any type of physics involved in doing such a stunt, as was the punch on the ice a bit afterwards. As well as the massive swords on their backs carrying no physics that would make them more believable). And whilst some of those shots could have been done better with better setup by director or vfx team, there's only so much you can do without real props that have weight on them, and none of the main cast appear to really be able to handle anything of weight for an extended period of time.

You may have a point with certain scenes, but she's just standing up here. I think this is all part of what many fans said before the show even aired based on clips and photos etc - she doesn't look the part, but of course we told to "shut up" and "wait an see"...and lo and behold here we are, she's not up to it physically or from a straight acting standpoint.

To be fair to her a lot of why she's turned into a meme machine is not her fault, miscast, trerrible writing, awful script etc I mean none of the Elves actually look like Elves, - that's not her fault.

But as C Kent alluded to, they have to do better than what she's wearing there.

Soldato
The issue with legolas imo, is that what worked well in film 1, they leaned into more of in film 2, and then it went down even better, so leaned way too much into it in film 3 and it was pants. Then they continued with that style in the hobbit too.

In particular film 1 he did some cool fight scenes, the arrow into an orc face, take it back, shoot someone, or shoot 1 guy, have it half come out the back of the orc ls head, the other one from behind runs into the orc and gets hit with it too.

Film 2. Slide a shield down the stairs and rid it while shooting orcs.

All good stuff.

Film 3. The whole oliphant scene, riding its trunk etc. Just cringy.

I agree with this, it's a shame because it's also part of the same battle where we get one of best moments in the Trilogy.

Eowen's ( and Merry's) epic "I am no man" slaying of the Witch-King of Angmar.

Soldato
Eowen's ( and Merry's) epic "I am no man" slaying of the Witch-King of Angmar.

As much as the "I am no man" scene fits the movies so much better, I am still bitter at the fact that they didn't include the full quotes between the two from the books.

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"

A cold voice answered: 'Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."

A sword rang as it was drawn. "Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. "But no living man am I!”

Soldato
Rings of poo is like bad bad fan fiction.

The type of fan fiction that would have you chased off fan fiction forums.

Some of the sets look like they were made for fan fiction though, the Ice Troll set was poor, the ones on Numenor are poor, the raft one was crap, the Eleven sets meh, even the ones in Khazad-Dum, I mean look at that scene with Elrond and Durin, the "explosion" in the mine - I mean come on 1bn dollars?

Jackson's sets were far better, they felt real, they felt alive, and that's part of the reason why LOTR was a living World and this isn't.

The talent differenetial working on these two projects in all areas is gigantic.

Soldato
How many season are we getting?
Guarantee of 2 as it was renewed prior to dropping - they were also working on 2 seasons at once. Guess we'll have to wait until S2 airs to see if Amazon thinks it's worth the money for more. If they've got 50 hours planned then you'd have to think it runs for a good 8 seasons if all goes to plan.

Permabanned
I'm loving this series so far but I'm surprised to see many overly critical comments about it in this thread. Trying to compare it to the original films or the books isn't the way forward.
You can go and watch Eastenders and Love Island and Strictly Come Dancing instead though if The Rings of Power is so bad ? ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Guarantee of 2 as it was renewed prior to dropping - they were also working on 2 seasons at once. Guess we'll have to wait until S2 airs to see if Amazon thinks it's worth the money for more. If they've got 50 hours planned then you'd have to think it runs for a good 8 seasons if all goes to plan.
50 hours over 5 seasons were the original plans.

Soldato
I'm loving this series so far but I'm surprised to see many overly critical comments about it in this thread. Trying to compare it to the original films or the books isn't the way forward.
You can go and watch Eastenders and Love Island and Strictly Come Dancing instead though if the The Rings of Power is so bad ? ;)

Interesting first post

Caporegime
You can go and watch Eastenders and Love Island and Strictly Come Dancing instead though if the The Rings of Power is so bad ? ;)

You have not seen what I have seen.

Soldato
I’m in tears over this second video, that’s gold :D

I’m enjoying the series, the slow pace is fine as it all builds the story and I actually think it looks a lot like Peter Jackson’s LOTR and thankfully nothing like the dreadful Hobbit movies. I find Galadriel is well cast tbh, despite the memes I think she’s portraying a young version of Cate Blanchet’s Queen very well.

The hobbits are annoying as **** though, the only thing that part of the story has going for it is the stranger.

Last edited:
Caporegime
1st season is 8 episodes isn't it? At some point they are going to have to up the content to hit 50 hours in 5 seasons.
It is 8 episodes, they're gradually getting longer episode by episode so far by a minute or two, it wouldn't surprise me if the last episode (or two) are longer, say 1h20m each, that'll end up nearer 9h/10h total for S1 than 8h.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom