The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
There's just so many caracthers in this that no-one cares about, why do we have to have this whole CW section on Numenor? The Isildur story-line makes no sense, why didn't he just quit? why put people's lives in danger? why did his friends get fired as well? that makes no sense, well I suppose it is because they could jam something about priveledge in there (he's white obviously so duh) because his frinds clearly had to struggle to make the grade to get on the ship whereas it was handed to Isildur on a plate. Then we get to follow made up Isildur's sister around the town as she does various things and keeps being asked to do some cleaning up, they keep showing shots of her face, but to no effect. She's just there, because woman. Then it's cringe time with some CW love-action with Berek(?) - Pharazons son...

Another obvious problem with this is show is the complete lack of scale to anything except for the sweeping shots, which are just an illusion, there's is no grandeur, no feeling of being in a World at all, just some basic small locations within Numemor for example. and 30-40 extras at most. With PJ you were shown the vast distances they covered as the Fellowship etc the thousands fleeing from Saruman's white hand, the huge Orc army before they marched off etc then off we go back to teleport time.

Soldato
Oh another great comedy moment as Galadriel goes full Karen (again) on Miriel and demands to see the manager, quick cut to the prison door being slammed on Galadriel...

:D

Of course she escapes, super easy, barely an inconvenience. But even still, very unintentionally funny.

Last edited:
You mean like using eagles to fly to Mordor instead of sending a hobbit and his friends by foot...;)
I appreciate you might just be saying that as a bit tongue in cheek, but I wanted to add to why that wasn't possible as it's often said by people without them realising how impossible it was to do.

First you have to remember, that let's say the eagles flew frodo to drop the ring in, mordor was massively defended, with a very determined sauron feeling the presence of the ring, nazgul, orcs all over the place. You'd need an army of eagles and then some to ensure you didn't mess up and the frodo killed/ring lost to sauron. Any plan had to be as close to 100 percent fool proof, and going by eagles is not subtle, so that doesn't work as it'd draw attention and start the beginning of the return of sauron.

You also have to remember, that there was one massive defense that sauron put into the ring that ensured his and the rings survival, and that is that it was next to impossible for anyone to actually cast the ring into the fire of Mount doom. Think about it. Not one single person managed it. Anyone who had the ring in their hand would have failed. Its why elrond didn't just kill isildur and take the ring and then chuck it in, as he'd be in the same situation.

If frodo has taken the ring by Eagle, flown right over the army, quickly rushed to chuck the ring before the nazgul and orcs got to them, frodo would have kept the ring and died to the orcs and then sauron took the ring back, with the eagles and frodo/the ring bearer now dead.

The only way was to sneak past, which required someone small and sneaky, and that person had to have no desires of grandure, no desire for power to be corrupted, no power themselves that should they be corrupted, they could at least hopefully be stopped/killed.

and then draw the attention of sauron away to allow that ring bearer to sneak in, and even that failed!

The ring was only destroyed because golum fell into the fire with the ring in his hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raz
Soldato
6321add40bc96.webp

Which only happened, Tolkien wrote in his letters because Eru Ilúvatar intervened to make him trip, otherwise it was considered that there was no living being on Middle Earth (sans maybe Tom Bombadil) that could have destroyed the ring in Mount Doom.
Exactly. So eagles or not, sauron knew that the ring was safe. Its why he didn't put a giant locked door in the way, with 24/7 security right outside it.

He knew the ring was safe and no matter what someone would do to try and cast the ring into the fire, they wouldn't be able to.

Associate

There's likely a reason for the painted (non real) armour approach; the actress size and physical strength/endurance is likely not in a state that is capable of wearing actual armour, however cosmetic (and lighter than real armour) like the actors in LotR and Hobbit trilogy. The vfx shot of her hanging onto a dagger on the climb up the icy mountain was another example of this (arms did not sell any type of physics involved in doing such a stunt, as was the punch on the ice a bit afterwards. As well as the massive swords on their backs carrying no physics that would make them more believable). And whilst some of those shots could have been done better with better setup by director or vfx team, there's only so much you can do without real props that have weight on them, and none of the main cast appear to really be able to handle anything of weight for an extended period of time.

Soldato
There's likely a reason for the painted (non real) armour approach; the actress size and physical strength/endurance is likely not in a state that is capable of wearing actual armour, however cosmetic (and lighter than real armour) like the actors in LotR and Hobbit trilogy. The vfx shot of her hanging onto a dagger on the climb up the icy mountain was another example of this (arms did not sell any type of physics involved in doing such a stunt, as was the punch on the ice a bit afterwards. As well as the massive swords on their backs carrying no physics that would make them more believable). And whilst some of those shots could have been done better with better setup by director or vfx team, there's only so much you can do without real props that have weight on them, and none of the main cast appear to really be able to handle anything of weight for an extended period of time.

i think its possible to get decent looking armour with good prop masters

5e9da9c717cac8f868e732ecaad00cac.jpg

This is just a random cos player and it looks 100% better for example
ea15359b4deddd222118024469312e2a--female-armor-steel-plate.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
i think its possible to get decent looking armour with good prop masters

Aye. I did like Faora's look, and it felt legit too. :) But unfortunately, it doesn't appear that we're getting anything close to that quality of effort here. :(

:: edit ::
Although, Antje and that cosplayer appear to be of a physically more imposing stature and presence (and can carry the look and weight of something like the armours), something that Morfydd is sadly lacking in due to her more diminutive stature.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just rewatching the uhd release of the LOTR trilogy, still amazing. Am watching with a bit more of a critical hat and it’s definitely got issues of it’s own. Currently Legolas is annoying me a bit, seems every so often he just stares into the sky and says something prophetic.

He's literally the worst part of the trilogy. Mostly it's his wonky contacts!

He's literally the worst part of the trilogy. Mostly it's his wonky contacts!
The issue with legolas imo, is that what worked well in film 1, they leaned into more of in film 2, and then it went down even better, so leaned way too much into it in film 3 and it was pants. Then they continued with that style in the hobbit too.

In particular film 1 he did some cool fight scenes, the arrow into an orc face, take it back, shoot someone, or shoot 1 guy, have it half come out the back of the orc ls head, the other one from behind runs into the orc and gets hit with it too.

Film 2. Slide a shield down the stairs and rid it while shooting orcs.

All good stuff.

Film 3. The whole oliphant scene, riding its trunk etc. Just cringy.

Soldato
It took me decades to get that jingle out of my head. Now I can't stop going woah bodyform in my head!

No word of a lie I made that joke on Reddit the day after it aired, and someone possibly stole it, or maybe it was made completely independent. Anyhoo, but the first thing that entered my head when I watched the horse scene was "Wooooaaahhhhhh Bodyform"...

I was going to post it on here, but then I thought, "They be a touch sensitve round these parts" and thought better of it.

:)

Back
Top Bottom