The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Caporegime
Or the whole thing is a deliberate troll and he's an entirely different bloke called Isildur.

They have messed with the timelines so much then it could be the "real" Isildur. He was born in the second age in SA 3209, son of Elendil and founded Gondor albeit around SA 3500 . Numenor is destroyed by the great flood in SA 3320 and we know Amazon plan on covering that as that is the vision the Queen keeps seeing which is 2320 years later than the period we are in now. Plus Isildur was around 250 years old when the Orcs shot him with the ring so Amazon can play around with people living centuries.

I mean Morgoth made Mount Doom in the first age but what are Amazon going to do? Once Sauron makes his base in Mordor in SA 1000, he basically stays there for 2500 years with nothing much happening.

To be honest I am currently lost as to what year we are meant to be in at the moment. Looking at Isildur we should be around SA 3230 ish. But if it is then Sauron has been living in Mordor for 2230 years already and has already built Barad-dûr and the black gate and the Rings of power including the One Ring have been in existence for over 1600 years.

So none of it makes sense. Best to just ignore what Tolkien wrote and enjoy the show.

Reactions: Kyo
Soldato
They have messed with the timelines so much then it could be the "real" Isildur. He was born in the second age in SA 3209, son of Elendil and founded Gondor albeit around SA 3500 . Numenor is destroyed by the great flood in SA 3320 and we know Amazon plan on covering that as that is the vision the Queen keeps seeing which is 2320 years later than the period we are in now. Plus Isildur was around 250 years old when the Orcs shot him with the ring so Amazon can play around with people living centuries.

I mean Morgoth made Mount Doom in the first age but what are Amazon going to do? Once Sauron makes his base in Mordor in SA 1000, he basically stays there for 2500 years with nothing much happening.

To be honest I am currently lost as to what year we are meant to be in at the moment. Looking at Isildur we should be around SA 3230 ish. But if it is then Sauron has been living in Mordor for 2230 years already and has already built Barad-dûr and the black gate and the Rings of power including the One Ring have been in existence for over 1600 years.

So none of it makes sense. Best to just ignore what Tolkien wrote and enjoy the show.

There's no timeline, real-time, distance, scale or realism in this show. It has no rules, nothing is of consequence, thing happens, move onto next thing.

Soldato
How many episodes are there for this series please? Had a look last night but its like trying to skip the recap, impossible

Enjoying the show, bit slow in places but the last episode was really good

Soldato
There's no timeline, real-time, distance, scale or realism in this show. It has no rules, nothing is of consequence, thing happens, move onto next thing.

This statement is true for much modern sci-fi and fantasy. Star Trek - Kelvin, Mickey Mouse Star Wars, Wheel of Time and others. Shows like House of the Dragon and the Expanse stand out because they buck the trend.

I don't hate this show, it has its moments but to me it feels like so much squandered opportunity especially given the resources available.

Last edited:
Soldato
This statement is true for much modern sci-fi and fantasy. Star Trek - Kelvin, Mickey Mouse Star Wars, Wheel of Time and others. Shows like House of the Dragon and the Expanse stand out because they buck the trend.

I don't hate this show, it has its moments but to me it feels like so much squandered opportunity especially given the resources available.

Jackson managed to incorporate all those elements.

A masterclass in how not to adapt Tolkien and at the same time waste 1BN.

18YM3Y0.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime

The one thing we know about it is that they've crushed the sprawling thousands of years timeline into a single human lifetime. On the one hand, that seems somewhat justifiable from a needs of making something for TV standpoint. I'm not sure it'd be remotely possible to make a series that span millennia in that way and make it anything other than a niche interest. Still with five series to work with I'd have though they could have spanned at least a century or two. A timescale on which elves are unchanging, dwarves age, and humans pass through generations.

Caporegime
The one thing we know about it is that they've crushed the sprawling thousands of years timeline into a single human lifetime. On the one hand, that seems somewhat justifiable from a needs of making something for TV standpoint. I'm not sure it'd be remotely possible to make a series that span millennia in that way and make it anything other than a niche interest. Still with five series to work with I'd have though they could have spanned at least a century or two. A timescale on which elves are unchanging, dwarves age, and humans pass through generations.

Yeah drawing it out over a few hundred years from the original 3500 would have worked but that would have meant all the initial humans would have died and then we would have had to get new ones.

You could have done it though by covering the start of Mordor and having Sauron battle the elves on and off for years and not introduced the human characters until season 2.

Associate
That's all they've got in response, they know what they're watching is garbage, but they didn't like people being critical of it, so they've decided to tell themselves they liked it and now they can't go back on it. All this because some people reflexively cannot stand anything being criticised...

It's just so stupid, but thats the internet for you!

:)

I think that's a little tunnel visiony. Me and my partner are really enjoying it, but can absolutely see where everyone else is coming from. Sometimes a show just feels comfortable and that's all the reason you need to enjoy it.

I'll be glad when it's over to be honest.
You.

Could,

just,

stop,

watching,

it,

now,

and,

pretend,

it,

is,

over,