The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
Our man threw a thirty page tantrum before the show even started, what makes you think he'll stop just because it's not running?
Oh, I'm sure there will be the odd post or 2 once the final viewing figures are released but the thread will go the same way as the WoT thread and that's had 5 maybe 6 posts in the 11 odd months since it ended.

Man of Honour
All the last episode has done is left me wanting for a competently written version of the series. There is so much more they could have done with it and so much better.

Soldato
All the last episode has done is left me wanting for a competently written version of the series. There is so much more they could have done with it and so much better.
The trouble is they've not got the rights to anything of note happening in the 2nd age.. last alliance of elves and men? Nope. Rise and fall of Numenor? Nope. Founding of Gondor? Nope. The most important bit of lore... the actual rings being made? Nope.

So you are left with this **** show where they have to to expand on fragments of information. Decent writers could have strung together a coherent story that encompasses the 2nd age the trouble is Amazon didn't hire decent writers.

Man of Honour
The trouble is they've not got the rights to anything of note happening in the 2nd age.. last alliance of elves and men? Nope. Rise and fall of Numenor? Nope. Founding of Gondor? Nope. The most important bit of lore... the actual rings being made? Nope.

So you are left with this **** show where they have to to expand on fragments of information. Decent writers could have strung together a coherent story that encompasses the 2nd age the trouble is Amazon didn't hire decent writers.

I don't buy that as an excuse - there was plenty of good ideas and the framework of a decent story there - especially in the last episode, but the execution and writing was really bad.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Was referring to the first part of your comment - I don't see the lack of rights a big hindrance to the story thread of the show - there are some good ideas to the basic points and nothing rights wise to stop them fleshing that out better, etc.

I take it from your comment you've not watched the last episode yet as they don't seem that constraint by the rights in terms of some of the things you've mentioned.

Soldato
Was referring to the first part of your comment - I don't see the lack of rights a big hindrance to the story thread of the show - there are some good ideas to the basic points and nothing rights wise to stop them fleshing that out better, etc.

I take it from your comment you've not watched the last episode yet as they don't seem that constraint by the rights in terms of some of the things you've mentioned.
I've not watched any episode just clips here and there :D, I think the longest was where our lord and saviour Galadriel schooled a bunch of Numenoreans in the art of sword fighting and it looked like bad fanfc of the Arya/Brienne duel.

Man of Honour
I've not watched any episode just clips here and there :D, I think the longest was where our lord and saviour Galadriel schooled a bunch of Numenoreans in the art of sword fighting and it looked like bad fanfc of the Arya/Brienne duel.

Ah right - the latest (last) episode covers a fair bit of stuff people have been saying they *couldn't* do due to rights - albeit they've obviously been constrained in some respects.

The story threads coming together in the last episode would have been really epic if written by someone(s) competent - I had to cringe a few times where they unimaginatively cribbed from the PJ movies.

Last edited:
Soldato
So it's Gandalf all along... What an absolute joke.

I still don't understand why 'the stranger' crashed into Middle Earth like he did, if it is an Istari then did they not just come across the sea and was met by Cirdan?

Caporegime

You have 170 replies here and are the second biggest poster and you don't even watch the ******* show? This is what people are talking about when they want a thread free of BS

Soldato
You have 170 replies here and are the second biggest poster and you don't even watch the ******* show? This is what people are talking about when they want a thread free of BS
yeah I got close to Darujhistan at one point but he's streaked away from me in the last page or 2 :( Knew I should have posted memes!

Man of Honour
So it's Gandalf all along... What an absolute joke.

I still don't understand why 'the stranger' crashed into Middle Earth like he did, if it is an Istari then did they not just come across the sea and was met by Cirdan?

Don't think it was confirmed, though it was heavily leaning that way... especially the demeanour at the end.

It is briefly mentioned in the source material that he visited previously without the Elves knowing - doesn't really say much about what he did which largely seemed of no real significance - would have made more sense to be one of the blue wizards but I guess fan service and all that...

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't think it was confirmed, though it was heavily leaning that way... especially the demeanour at the end.

It is briefly mentioned in the source material that he visited previously without the Elves knowing - doesn't really say much about what he did which largely seemed of no real significance - would have made more sense to be one of the blue wizards but I guess fan service and all that...

Yeah it wasn't confirmed 100%, but when they start throwing his literal quotes out it's pretty much confirmed :D

It'd have been ok if it was one of the Blue's to be fair, but yeah I've read that of the unfinished tails quite a bit and it's very vague.

Permabanned

I've seen better choreographed fights on stage, they even bragged that it didn't take long to make. They were actually proud of it. lol

"wall of text"

A few geeks? yeah, just a few.. lol. I've read the books, my kids read the books.

Well, I care about the show... Not so much your opinion, so I'm not reading all of that.... :)

Last edited:
A few geeks? yeah, just a few.. lol. I've read the books, my kids read the books.

Well, I care about the show... Not so much your opinion, so I'm not reading all of that.... :)

Would be good if you could at least absorb what was written rather than going off half cocked.
Thats fine your are of course welcome to hold your own views
Even when they are wrong ;)

Unbelievable. So basically confirmed troll then.

Probably doesn't even realise how utterly pathetic it makes his hate look.

Soldato

If you think any of my posts are 'trolling' go report them :)

In the past 3 pages Ive had a discussion with you MKW about how bad fantasy being made isn't a good thing as tv execs are far more likely to not bother sinking millions into projects that can't even pull viewership when the IP itself has millions upon millions of potential people to watch, a comment or 2 about the unbelievably bad horseback action scene, timelines not being respected, **** poor writing not being able to string together a coherent, well written plot that covers 8 episodes.

I'm perfectly free to criticise the show if I wish, just as you perfectly fine to slurp down any old tripe and ask for more. Instead of crying that people dislike the show and are vocal about it maybe try to counter the points raised within that criticism. if you are unable to do so then maybe stop moaning about us that point the flaws out.

Last edited:
If you think any of my posts are 'trolling' go report them :)

In the past 3 pages Ive had a discussion with you MKW about how bad fantasy being made isn't a good thing as tv execs are far more likely to not bother sinking millions into projects that can't even pull viewership when the IP itself has millions upon millions of potential people to watch, a comment or 2 about the unbelievably bad horseback action scene, timelines not being respected, **** poor writing not being able to string together a coherent, well written plot that covers 8 episodes.

I'm perfectly free to criticise the show if I wish, just as you perfectly fine to slurp down any old tripe and ask for more. Instead of crying that people dislike the show and are vocal about it maybe try to counter the points raised within that criticism. if you are unable to do so then maybe stop moaning about us that point the flaws out.

Seriously your not watching it, you cant help yourself with nonsense like slurp down any old tripe.

You have made your views known, I heavily disagree with them.
I have posted why I believe I do with why, you don't, you just post a view as if your some kind of expert.

Again, fantasy is not a highly demanded area. GOT resparked that and led to an inevitable rush for franchises that could be used. None are great interpretations, they are all basically middling.
Going hardcore geek will make that worse not better, hardcore geek fantasy isnt going to achieve high levels of general public support, GOT didn't get that because it was fantasy, it got it because it was based on good books, that had real emotion and scene setting and character development, and the shock moments that many hadnt seen in books of that kind until that point. Far more are like that now. Millions on millions is nothing, if you want a successful show you need mass general support not to pander to a few geeks.
Geeks across all genres are the worst, they become too invested in trivial details often and can't accept that for many writers and authors they change things.
Not to have to go over old ground again, but for example the Balrog stuff debated on here.

All the recent fantasy shows had more potential, but alas they haven't as yet delivered. Maybe they will improve some. The best parts of the best episodes were really actually good, but the bad bits of the worst episodes were really bad. Like most series. Its getting the good bits to far outweigh the bad bits thats the key.
Take SG1, I loved that, but over the whole series there were episodes I thought were guff, there were plot holes and all sorts of problem, plus at times LOL moments, and yet its one I would watch again.
And again, history shows us that series that don't get decent viewing aren't suddenly transformed, they get canned, completely.
I would rather even poor fantasy than none, thats my view, I would 100% rather see WOT and ROP as they are now, than see yet more drivel (IMO) like dancing on ice and stuff like that.

Its hard to counter criticism when the criticism is delivered in the same manner as a 3 year old throwing a temper tantrum in the sweets isle in Tesco.
There is from what I can tell a feeling in this thread from those that watch it with an open mind that the few who don't, don't really want to be engaged with at all.
When the standard response is to accuse someone who merely enjoys it as loving it and slurping down any old tripe, and having low standards etc then your not setting yourself up for an open debate at all, your just demonstrating a closed mind thats already made up, all IMO.

Back
Top Bottom