US: The Man in the High castle

Soldato
Season 3 has just come out, watched the 1st 2 episodes so far. Apart from trying to remember what happened before it's carried on being excellent.

They're going more into the 'traveller' theme now, there's at least 3 different timelines - the one Juliana is from (the main one in the show) where her sister is dead, then the one in which Juliana's sister is from where Juliana is dead, and a third with Juliana being alive and married to the trade minister's son. Plus all the other storylines (oberstgruppenfuhrer, joe, the war between the japs and nazi's, it's hard to keep up at times!!"

Soldato
Well, it's been out a couple of weeks now hasn't it? I'm exactly the same as you though, 2 eps in and trying to remember whats going on! I guess I should look for a recap video on YouTube or something.

Man of Honour
I both love and hate that each season it is quite laborious getting going almost suffocating, you feel disconnected from it and some stuff is just obscure rather than complex but then in the last third of the season it just launches and wouldn't have worked the same way without the stuff before it.

Soldato
Up to episode 5 now and as if by magic it's starting to get interesting!

Those 2 deaths! :eek: Completely unexpected, holy ****.

I thought the Rockwell/Smith comparison was showing how Rockwell had gotten the better deal... then BAM!

Last edited:
Associate
Finished Season 3 last night and enjoyed it as much as season 2. The story really kicks in from about episode 7 onwards. Can't see them going past season 4.

Its certainly not an easy watch which has been said before. I find the resistance scenes quiet infuriating whereas Smith and Kido make the show.

Soldato
Finished Season 3 last night and enjoyed it as much as season 2. The story really kicks in from about episode 7 onwards. Can't see them going past season 4.

Its certainly not an easy watch which has been said before. I find the resistance scenes quiet infuriating whereas Smith and Kido make the show.

Agreed, but you forgot Tagomi! He is great.

I think the show is a really interesting idea, but I'm not enjoying all the subplots. I think its because I've found it difficult to connect with some of the smaller characters like Frank and Bobby.

I am expecting Himmler to die and I guess John Smith would have to become Fuhrer. While that would make sense given they haven't mentioned any other prominent Nazis, it would be really odd for him to take control given he's in the US. If someone else was to take over from Himmler then I can't imagine how they will play things other than by him fitting the same slightly mad, beliggerant towards the USA mentality that Himmler had, in which case I am not sure what it would add to the story.

If John did take over then it gives the potential for him to take things in a different direction. I suppose he could do this anyway as Reichsmarshall in the US. He looked noticeably hurt by "Day Zero" and he clearly wants his son back, I imagine by trying to steal him from his other reality now he knows he could exist in his world since Thomas is dead in his.

Soldato
Another good season!

interesting now we know you can only travel if their counterparts in the other reality is no longer alive, and will be interesting to know where they go now that Juliana has travelled. I suspect she's going to end up bringing John's son back with her!

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Another great season. Smith, Kido, and Tagomi are just brilliant. I'd watch a show without any of the sci-fi aspect that was purely the political back and forth between the Reich and the Empire.

Soldato
Yeah, just finished it yesterday actually.

The ending seemed a little simplistic after some of the complexities of it. Also, maybe I'm missing something obvious but who were the people coming through the portal at the end? Where had they come from?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Yeah, just finished it yesterday actually.

The ending seemed a little simplistic after some of the complexities of it. Also, maybe I'm missing something obvious but who were the people coming through the portal at the end? Where had they come from?

"From everywhere" as they answered in the show. And wtf were they completely unsurprised by the fact that they ended up in some underground bunker with nazi insignia while randomly walking along a street and going through the portal. The ending was lazy and took too many shortcuts. It deserved better. It deserved something more complex. What if Smith abandoned his reich position, exited to the universe where his son was still alive while blowing up that bunker in process, just to discover that his son was now MIA and the-other-dimension-Smith was a commie thus ending up arrested by none other than other-dimension-Hoover. Because all Smiths in all dimensions ended up on wrong side of the history. What if After Smith's departure American Reich fell but America still ended up split between two fighting fractions, black and white. And so on.
Well, we got what we got, it was still an interesting ride.

Associate
"From everywhere" as they answered in the show. And wtf were they completely unsurprised by the fact that they ended up in some underground bunker with nazi insignia while randomly walking along a street and going through the portal. The ending was lazy and took too many shortcuts. It deserved better. It deserved something more complex. What if Smith abandoned his reich position, exited to the universe where his son was still alive while blowing up that bunker in process, just to discover that his son was now MIA and the-other-dimension-Smith was a commie thus ending up arrested by none other than other-dimension-Hoover. Because all Smiths in all dimensions ended up on wrong side of the history. What if After Smith's departure American Reich fell but America still ended up split between two fighting fractions, black and white. And so on.
Well, we got what we got, it was still an interesting ride.

It's maybe too esoteric, but I thought that the people coming through were actually the people who had read the story/book The Man in the High Castle and the High Castle world people get to realise that they are just in a story...

The show started off strong, then seemed to drop over the seasons until they rushed it to an ending this season.
I thought John Smith would end up running to the other world to be with his wife and son there, the suicide thing just seemed out of character for him.

The people coming through the tunnel was just random, surely many would have died, if they existed in the high castle world already. Would have made more sense to have had those who had died in the series make cameo appearances.

Soldato
I finished it a couple of weeks ago. I liked it overall, some seasons more than others (I think the second season was the best) but it did feel like a show that never quite capitalised on it's premise.

Permabanned
I heard it was the be all and end all so I caught it after season 1 had aired and now seen it all and IMO it is overrated.

I would have preferred if it was like a RTCW game.

Back
Top Bottom