The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

With a bit more fag packet maths I think you are probably right in terms of a pay off period. A lot depends on the additional revenues you can generate by hosting other events. I was at Tottenham for eh NFL this year and it was incredible in terms of how they leveraged it. A couple of those and half a dozen concerts probably gives you a fair boost to normal match days. I prefer something new also. Old Trafford has never been a great stadium and now its second rate.
Madrid started in 2019 I think but it was impacted by Covid and is only close to completion now. I think Everton's has gone up a bit quicker.
Both Glazers and Ineos will want to make use of new OT to get the money back asap. Wouldn't be surprised if Utd try to rival Wembley/Spurs for mega events. Concerts, NFL etc. Not to mention bidding for Europa League and Champions League final hosting. Hosting EL, preferably CL, final would bring in a bit of money. I also wonder how much extra Utd could make from home games with extra 25k attendance. More tickets, more food and refreshments. Could be around 30% increase?

Forgot about the impact Covid will have had on Madrid's work. On the Wikipedia page for European stadia, OT is 12th. If it gets upgraded or rebuilt to 100k then that would be 2nd assuming Barca's 105k is what they end up with. Just imagine if Ineos build a new OT with 100k capacity and club makes most of the opportunity and increases income. Glazers will be thinking they should have done this years ago!
I am totally against this tbh. I also preferred old wembley to the new one too.
Agreed. I want them to keep OT but I don't think they will. At least not for the men's team. It would be nice if they could keep the existing pitch, reduce stadium capacity to 30-40k and renovate as part of that to keep it in existence but also for women's team.

Madrid managed to do their stadium without knocking it down because it means more to them than the financial costs.

This is purely a financial decision to do it as cheaply as possible.

Tottenham's stadium might be a "masterpiece" but it has no soul. Just like City's and Westham's stadiums.

Eh?

Manchester United's owners hope to make a final decision on whether to spend more than £2bn on a new 100,000-seat stadium by the end of 2024.
rather than renovating the existing stadium, which would cost around £1.2bn and take longer to complete.

£800m cheaper to renovate O.T. you’ve also got the issue of railway line. Not to mention that there isn’t a viable stadia thats going spare that they could use in the mean time. Swiss Ramble has United as bringing in around 140m from match day so unless O.T takes more than 6 years to complete - Madrid have taken 5 years and that was done during Covid as well.

New in this case certainly seems the way to go and you could get the new one as the best in the world - the way United use to be pre-glazers.

Eh?

£800m cheaper to renovate O.T. you’ve also got the issue of railway line. Not to mention that there isn’t a viable stadia thats going spare that they could use in the mean time. Swiss Ramble has United as bringing in around 140m from match day so unless O.T takes more than 6 years to complete - Madrid have taken 5 years and that was done during Covid as well.

New in this case certainly seems the way to go and you could get the new one as the best in the world - the way United use to be pre-glazers.
Agree with this and it's a point often overlooked that a new build albeit costing more allows for the full use of Old Trafford. Renovate Old Trafford at a Min £1.2bn you are still going to have at best reduced capacity and for sure much reduced income from parking, hospitality etc.

Whilst I am not in favor of something as sprawling as say the SoFi stadium, Looks impressive, no doubt, there is no way you future proof your stadium by an Old Trafford Renovation. I like what I am hearing around the idea of keeping the design concepts in tune with the community and history of Manchester.

Madrid managed to do their stadium without knocking it down because it means more to them than the financial costs.

This is purely a financial decision to do it as cheaply as possible.

Tottenham's stadium might be a "masterpiece" but it has no soul. Just like City's and Westham's stadiums.

Blame the glazers for that, they let it rot instead of keeping on top of it through the years riddled the club dry with debt got jim to bail them out and take the load so they can keep profiting in the future could now have been doing what Barcelona and Real Madrid are doing

For example Real Madrid Renovated Bernabéu 1982, 2001, 2019–2024 and now it's looking like a modernized world class stadium without leaving

Old Trafford is more than just a stadium, it's soul and history so will be sad to lose that

Last edited:
I'm all for a brand new stadium.

For years, fans have criticised the Glazers for "papering over the cracks" regarding United's problems.

Now, some fans are upset about the potential of having a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium, as they prefer refurbishing the existing one, even though it has significant flaws and would likely need many further refurbishments in the future.
Isn't this also just "papering over the cracks"?

Yes, it's unfortunate that a club might have to leave the old stadium filled with great memories. But come on... Do these same fans squeeze into their old childhood bedroom with their wife and kids just because of the "memories," even if they can afford a much bigger five-bedroom house? A stupid analogy, I know, but just trying to make the point that sometimes people need to move on for things to improve.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it sad that some people think things must stay as they are, or that significant improvements should be held back because of "memories" and "soul".

Last edited:
Im all for a new stadium. I hope they make it into a complex with hotels, shopping centres, entertainment (cinemas, bar, clubs etc). Since the announcement other day I have been thinking up ideas on stadium/complex design just for fun. I had an idea that the 3 pronged fork of the red devil should be used as walkways into the stadium in some way. Hard to explain, maybe I can sketch up a picture later.

Im all for a new stadium. I hope they make it into a complex with hotels, shopping centres, entertainment (cinemas, bar, clubs etc). Since the announcement other day I have been thinking up ideas on stadium/complex design just for fun. I had an idea that the 3 pronged fork of the red devil should be used as walkways into the stadium in some way. Hard to explain, maybe I can sketch up a picture later.

Problem is the majority of those things already exists as part of the Lowry shopping centre over the canal or by Hotel Football next door. Hell the Lowry is even pretty run down as there just isn't the demand for it with the Trafford Centre less than 5 miles away.

A big motivation for a new Stadium will be Sir Jim's desire to create a personal legacy. Don't forget he a guy in his 70's and will be on a mission. Any refurb will have a limited lifespan so better to spend the money now. The whole area around the current stadium badly needs regeneration and I can see the stadium becoming a destination. Don't forget that an increased capacity of c 25,000 will bring a lot more fans from overseas and they will need catered for. I've been to the Spurs stadium three times and it is incredible. The dwell times are a lot longer than the in and out at OT and that's because it's a nice place to be - they have done an awesome job of it. For me it makes zero sense to try and renovate.

Just find it amazing to put a lot of our first team out after a season of injuries onto crappy Astro turf or similar. Biggest summer signing, yeah throw him on, what’s the worst that cou— oh, oh… he’s injured.

You have to play them at some point. You can look at every injury and say "shouldn't have played him that game".
I meant the preseason, playing on shoddy surfaces games. I get that they need to gel, but for friendlies with those kinds of pitches, it’s just asking for trouble. I dread to think what the World Cup will be like.

Yeah I'm sure going into the season with no preseason would be far better. We just need to pick our preseason destinations better, if you don't have a proper pitch, we don't go there.

Yeah I'm sure going into the season with no preseason would be far better. We just need to pick our preseason destinations better, if you don't have a proper pitch, we don't go there.
That’s not what I was saying, come on. I’d be all for it if preseason was played on surfaces akin to actual pitches. As I said, playing on the crappier ones is just asking for trouble and with our injury record, even more so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom