The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

So five days to go - how are we all feeling about the prospect this season?

I'd be happier if we had seen more outgoings to signify a bigger break from the past. I'm thinking that McSauce, Eriksen, Lindelof, Sancho,Antony should all be exited.
The signings seem erm - Dutch and largely ex ten Hag players which really concerns me should we decide to bin him in November.
Yoro - fine, he's clearly a talent and should be an asset that can grow in value but he's so young and 19yo CBs are not the finished article
Zirkzee - No idea about him
De Ligt - injury prone, not good enough for European rivals? Risky but potentially better than Maguire, Evans, Lindelof
Mazraoui - no idea about him but Dalot needs genuine competition and AWB was never it

Still think we are short in central midfield. Casemiro is not a reliable no.6 on his own.
Hopeful for seeing further development of Mainoo, Garnacho, Mount, Amad.

Predict that we will challenge better for top four but believe there are at least 4 teams better than us. I'll settle for a more coherent style and better chance creation.

Overall, I'm just hoping to enjoy watching them a bit more. Last season was utterly depressing other than beating Liverpool and winning the Cup.
Feeling pretty optimistic and I think some of the business has been decent this summer. We have bared our teeth when we needed to and will sit on our hands to get the right deal e.g. Not paying over the odds for Ugate and striking a deal for De Ligt and Mazroui that is a reasonable price.

Agree with your point re outgoings and I suspect there will be at least two first teamers gone and I suspect it will be McSauce and Lindelof.

I wouldn't worry too much on if players have played under ETH, make no mistake these are Ineos signings. One thing that we are missing is big characters and leaders in the dressing room and lets be fair DeLigt fits the profile. I think his injury record is a little over stated but we have a bit of strength in depth now and we dont need to rush players back too soon.

Couple of things I want to see from ETH.

- Rashford continues to play like a second string dog and duck striker, bench him.
- Find his balls with the media!! Too many times when we have had clear decisions go against us you get the same 'oh the refs are trying, all we want is consistency, they are only human' If it's Pep or Klopp, they will call it out in the presser, low and behold decisions go there way all of a sudden. Call out that blatant inconsistent decisions every single time Michael Oliver refs us.
- Make a ****ing sub before the game is gone

Good run in Europe and If he can keep players off the injury table then top 4 should be the minimum expectation.

I feel pretty optimistic too. ETH has been backed and there are no excuses now. Another season of injury woe simply won't wash and he'll be out the door if performances are consistently poor. I think the optimism is mainly down to the fact we have a CEO and directors who know football, and are desperate to succeed.

Also, it does appear we've assembled a pretty strong squad with a number of exciting players. Bruno is among the very best, Mainoo and Garnacho look superstars already, and Amad/Hojlund show promise. I'm hoping Zirkzee will make a good start too. There are plenty of options in defence now, even if we do have a few injuries.

I wish I had your optimism which is a huge plot twist.

Shaw is unfit still, our new CB is out till November and Hojlund god knows how long he can stay fit.

All it takes is a couple more injuries and we are in trouble again.

We can't really have this attitude though, it will need to be dealt with. De Ligt and Mazraoui coming in is good. We still have Maguire and Lindelof at present. Yoro should be back in October/November which will boost things.

We're not exactly short at the back, IMO. If De Ligt ends up injured a lot then that's a failure of the recruitment team, his record isn't great.

Attack seems inexperienced, defense seems injury prone, midfield seems weak defensively. Older players are a year older/slower. Hopefully Onana is less error prone. Carrying Mount, Rashford, Sancho and Maguire.

If it goes poorly then surely they can't blame injuries next season? That's bad planning if injuries wipe out two seasons.

Top 6?

Not sure where all the optimism is coming from? The team is largely the same. I suppose Martinez being back should make quite a bit of difference, is that where the optimism is coming from?

Last edited:
No reason we shouldn't be coming 3rd behind Arsenal and City, Spurs and Chelsea aren't usually up to much and Villa have the Champions League now.

Liverpool are the unknown, but based on the vibe and the lack of signings, I'm expecting them to struggle a bit this season.

ETH is meant to be a good manager, he's got to show it now or he'll get the boot pretty sharpish.

I’d like to see Amass played more in light of the walking sicknotes that are Shaw and Malacia.

Really want ETH to give Oyedele some game time too. But I think that’s a pipe dream.

Attack seems inexperienced, defense seems injury prone, midfield seems weak defensively. Older players are a year older/slower. Hopefully Onana is less error prone. Carrying Mount, Rashford, Sancho and Maguire.

So negative. Attack is inexperienced but Hojlund was great for a while before getting injured and we have signed Zirkzee who will hopefully help out. Plenty of teams these days get large goal contributions from their whole forward line and midfield as well.

If it goes poorly then surely they can't blame injuries next season? That's bad planning if injuries wipe out two seasons.

Not if you have the number of injuries we had last season. You can't plan for that. Liverpool had an awful chunk of a season due to less injury issues than we had last season. We have brought in two CBs which is where our main issues were last season. There is also only so much you can do in one window. Would be lovely to be able to ***** £250m to replace and buy backup for all the positions we need it for but thats impossible.

Not sure where all the optimism is coming from? The team is largely the same. I suppose Martinez being back should make quite a bit of difference, is that where the optimism is coming from?

We came third 2 seasons ago so I don't see why last season with historically bad injury issues would be the marker for our upcoming season.

The only part of defence I am worried about is LB. CB we will have De Ligt, Maguire, Martinez and Yoro for 2 positions. RB we have 2 seemingly pretty robust players. Midfield we really need another player to replace/compete with Casemiro but apart from that we are fine. Mount has barely kicked a ball for us so I don't know how you are writing him off. Sancho has a good chance of being gone by the end of the window and hopefully in a more positive and firing United side, Rashford will find some form.

So negative.
I'd say more realistic than negative, but I will accept that it may come across that way - and I most certainly HOPE that it all clicks and, at the very least, we play some nice football. Most of the post is based on last season, assuming not a lot changes because most of the players are still the same. I'm no tactical expert but wasn't one of the biggest issues that the midfield were overrun/easy to play through, pretty much every match? Perhaps ETH will change his tactics here, whether the players can adapt is another question or whether he can get it right - not losing badly to City twice in a row suggests... maybe he can?

Attack is inexperienced but Hojlund was great for a while before getting injured and we have signed Zirkzee who will hopefully help out. Plenty of teams these days get large goal contributions from their whole forward line and midfield as well.
Hopefully Zirkzee will help out yes, hopefully, but it remains to be seen, he's not proven in the EPL.

There absolutely needs to be more goals from all players, United were 10th in the league in terms of goals scroed last season!

Not if you have the number of injuries we had last season. You can't plan for that. Liverpool had an awful chunk of a season due to less injury issues than we had last season. We have brought in two CBs which is where our main issues were last season. There is also only so much you can do in one window. Would be lovely to be able to ***** £250m to replace and buy backup for all the positions we need it for but thats impossible.
My point was that, this coming season, if it fails due to injuries then that's not going to wash. Agreed regarding buying a whole new squad but given above point about midfield and also previous point about aging squad, will much change here without new blood.

We came third 2 seasons ago so I don't see why last season with historically bad injury issues would be the marker for our upcoming season.

Was it a one-off? Rashford was on a mad one and Liverpool (and Chelsea?) underpeformed.

Mount has barely kicked a ball for us so I don't know how you are writing him off. Sancho has a good chance of being gone by the end of the window and hopefully in a more positive and firing United side, Rashford will find some form.

Where does Mount fit? Isn't he a like-for-like replacement for Bruno? Is he really the player we need?

Rashford will find some form.

Him in form is probably 10-15 goals, which will be welcome but until then he's probably going to sulk and just generally be a child on the pitch. Thankfully we have Garnacho! On that note, hopefully Antony either shows his worth or Amad is given more time.

Was De Ligt even good for Bayern (easier league)? How come they got rid? One benefit of new players is new mindsets, although most player do tend to go backwards when they join, hopefully that's changing now.

I'm not particulary annoyed by this - have simply accepted that the club is years away from being decent.

Last edited:
I'm no tactical expert but wasn't one of the biggest issues that the midfield were overrun/easy to play through, pretty much every match?

I would suggest that not having a LB most of the season and playing/relying on slow and old CBs means that any time your midfielders/forwards push up you either end up with a big gap between your defence/midfield or you leave masses of space to play around the midfield. Good time generally stay compact to avoid this. Having Martinez back along with a better CB alongside him will make a massive difference. Having an attack minded LB also helps a lot.

Football is a much more complex game these days than it was 10-20 years ago and an issue in one area of the pitch can show up all over the place and make it very hard to play the way you want. When you are constantly losing the ball and your defence is slow and passive, it affects everything.

Hopefully Zirkzee will help out yes, hopefully, but it remains to be seen, he's not proven in the EPL.

There absolutely needs to be more goals from all players, United were 10th in the league in terms of goals scroed last season!

Yes, we need more goals but why would we not have that with more players available. You score goals as a team. You can attack more when you have a solid foundation. Players who can pass the ball from the back. A keeper who can play out from the back more because his defenders aren't going to lose the ball if he sends it to them.

My point was that, this coming season, if it fails due to injuries then that's not going to wash. Agreed regarding buying a whole new squad but given above point about midfield and also previous point about aging squad, will much change here without new blood.

I would have thought it will, we have brought in 4 new players.

With a squad of Onana, Mazroui, Yoro/De Ligt, Shaw, Casemiro, Mainoo, Fernandes, Amad, Garnacho and Hojlund we would have an avg. age of around 24 I imagine. The only aging players in the squad that are likely to get game time are Casemiro and perhaps Eriksen but even then it will be as a sub for Eriksen.

Was it a one-off? Rashford was on a mad one and Liverpool (and Chelsea?) underpeformed.

That happens almost every season. There aren't that many season where all the "big 6" are firing on all cylinders. Will Liverpool do well this season? No incoming and new manager. Taking over from one of the best managers ever? Will Chelsea magically come good? I don't think it takes that much to get top 4 honestly. Even up until about March (I think) we were still looking up at top 4 and thinking it was very possible if we stopped being **** and thats considering how awful we were.

Where does Mount fit? Isn't he a like-for-like replacement for Bruno? Is he really the player we need?

No idea, hes played so little we have literally no idea. Again, look at it positively or negatively.

Him in form is probably 10-15 goals, which will be welcome but until then he's probably going to sulk and just generally be a child on the pitch. Thankfully we have Garnacho! On that note, hopefully Antony either shows his worth or Amad is given more time.

Based on pre-season and his performances, I can't see Amad being anything but first choice on that side.

Was De Ligt even good for Bayern (easier league)? How come they got rid? One benefit of new players is new mindsets, although most player do tend to go backwards when they join, hopefully that's changing now.

Money, doesn't fit the managers plans, wages. There are loads of reasons players move. By all accounts Bayern fans don't want him to leave.

I'm not particulary annoyed by this - have simply accepted that the club is years away from being decent.

That depends on what decent is. I think we can be decent this season. I don't think we can be competing for anything serious for another 2-3 years even if things go well but we can be decent and decent is all you need to be top 4 in the PL at the moment.

Shock Horror Shaw will miss the start of the season. Tries his damn best to be fit for England, goes with England, comes back and gets injured. Calf Injury picked up in pre-season. How did he do it ? walking from his car to the entrance to Carrington because he aint kicked a ball for Utd preseason that's for sure. Guy is made of balsa wood and paper mache, get his contract bought out and ship him off to America or somewhere. Utter waste of a squad space.

Shock Horror Shaw will miss the start of the season. Tries his damn best to be fit for England, goes with England, comes back and gets injured. Calf Injury picked up in pre-season. How did he do it ? walking from his car to the entrance to Carrington because he aint kicked a ball for Utd preseason that's for sure. Guy is made of balsa wood and paper mache, get his contract bought out and ship him off to America or somewhere. Utter waste of a squad space.

Theres no chance Ineos won't be replacing him next summer if he doesn't play most of the season. Hes simply not up to it at this level for a season and there is no point having very good players who miss 1/3 of every season.

Theres no chance Ineos won't be replacing him next summer if he doesn't play most of the season. Hes simply not up to it at this level for a season and there is no point having very good players who miss 1/3 of every season.
Jose was right about him all along.
Odds on we loan Amass get in Amrabat and play him at left back. Oh, we did that last year except it was Alvaro Fernandes. Sigh.
I agree with Fez, sell him asap.

It sounds as though Mazraoui is the one we should be most worried about in terms of injuries, the article on The Athletic doesn’t make for the best reading in that regard.

Last edited:
Jose was right about him all along.
Odds on we loan Amass get in Amrabat and play him at left back. Oh, we did that last year except it was Alvaro Fernandes. Sigh.
I agree with Fez, sell him asap.
Amrabat? How much will that cost for one good performance a season? Maybe he'll perform better in a better squad though? Is it worth the risk?

Back
Top Bottom