The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

fez

fez

Caporegime
Was at the game on Sunday and we were awful. We’ve gone back to the same complete lack of effort we showed under Mourinho. No idea what to do to fix this. The only player that was OK was Herrera and surprise surprise he is one of few players we have who give 100% for the team.

Something has to change and if it’s a wholesale clear out of the players then so be it. It was embarrassing watching us amble around the pitch.

Soldato
Was at the game on Sunday and we were awful. We’ve gone back to the same complete lack of effort we showed under Mourinho. No idea what to do to fix this. The only player that was OK was Herrera and surprise surprise he is one of few players we have who give 100% for the team.

Something has to change and if it’s a wholesale clear out of the players then so be it. It was embarrassing watching us amble around the pitch.
Have said this for the last couple of weeks needs a complete clear out bring some youngsters in and a few decent players and stick to a game plan

Soldato
Pretty sure both VDS and Overmars have come out and said they're not interested in leaving because of what they're building at Ajax.
Maybe they have but would prefer him to Rio who ever we get in now it's to late for this window unless it's phealan as they won't have any input into transfers another mistake from Woodward this should have been sorted months ago

Associate
Its amazing what a few weeks makes after the form they showed when Ole first come in to what its come down to now.

Very puzzling indeed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its amazing what a few weeks makes after the form they showed when Ole first come in to what its come down to now.

Very puzzling indeed.
Not that puzzling, the team is carrying a load of deadweights who are only playing for the paycheque rather than the club/jersey. That type of player loses interest quickly. When their ‘interest’ wanes out come the lazy performances.

I’d also question the fitness of some of them. Martial in particular I thought looked a bit ‘leggy’ in recent weeks.

The club is just poorly run at the moment. OGS’s appointment before season end, still no DOF, no sign of any sort of long term strategy. Just one knee jerk reaction after another. Been a Man U fan for over 30 years and never been as embarrassed by the club as I am at the moment. They have the financial clout to be challenging but just the wrong people in the wrong positions and I don’t mean on the field.

My only hope is that Ole’s legacy at the club isn’t too badly tarnished by his permanent managerialship. Maybe I’ll be proved wrong but I don’t think there’s any manager out there who could turn the clubs fortunes around. There needs to be a massive shake up from the top down first.

Soldato
OGS’s appointment before season end,.

that's the only part of your post I completely disagree with.

1) The club had to start making plans for the summer one way or the other, so this makes perfect sense. Admittedly this should have gone hand in hand with the DoF - which of course is definitely required as well - and EW just looks more and more of a disaster the longer this takes. It is interesting however that this feeling is really strange - imagine if the results were completely reversed (ie instead of the PSG away game being the last great performance, it was the 1st and Utd won every game since)….it probably wouldn't make any difference in the table.....but the feeling around / about the club would be completely the opposite.

2) There is no basis for believing the results would have changed as its plainly down to the players either not wanting to play as required (ie lazy or disinterested) or having a terrible pre-season last summer, which may be part of the issue but definitely isn't all of it.

3) I am led to believe that the players already knew he was going to be made permanent manager (for right or wrong), so it would have leaked one way or the other which would have made the club look even worse in some respects. The sheer size of Utd (or any major brand for that matter) it would be nigh on impossible to keep that kind of thing a secret for that period of time.

Personally think EW and a few other heads need to roll above Ole before things will change fundamentally however (don't mind if EW just gets demoted back to the commercial director only again, but in his current position he is making the club much worse). IF new owners came in as well, even better but cant see that happening yet

Soldato
OGS’s appointment before season end
that's the only part of your post I completely disagree with.

I am led to believe that the players already knew he was going to be made permanent manager (for right or wrong),
if the players already knew it further highlights the total lack or control, hierarchy or 'rules' at the club.
The sheer size of Utd (or any major brand for that matter) it would be nigh on impossible to keep that kind of thing a secret for that period of time.
i'd disagree with that.....surely only 3 people needed to be aware of his permanent employment. EW, OGS and his agent/advisor put an NDA in place with huge financial penalties and you'll find it's easier than you think to keep things quiet. but as per above it just sums up how badly run the club is currently.

EW needs to be back solely in charge of the commercial side of the business where he clearly shines.

a couple of posts back someone asked who our picks were for ins/outs (though deleted as it seems you're not allowed to talk about Manchester United transfers in the Manchester United thread even if it's only fan speculation :rolleyes:) the club probably need at least 3 transfer windows imo to get things right but only if the structure of the club is put right first. wholesale changes are needed and not just in the players. certainly though the back line needs a serious overhaul. a good team needs a good defence. we've not had one in years. there's no one really i'd specifically pick to keep or lose out of the defence - wipe the lot out and start again maybe :p

Soldato
if the players already knew it further highlights the total lack or control, hierarchy or 'rules' at the club.

I wonder if Martial and his agent needed to know who he was going to be playing under to sign his new deal - certainly wouldn't be completely out of the realms of possibility ?

i'd disagree with that.....surely only 3 people needed to be aware of his permanent employment. EW, OGS and his agent/advisor put an NDA in place with huge financial penalties and you'll find it's easier than you think to keep things quiet. but as per above it just sums up how badly run the club is currently.

Im not suggesting the club isn't being run badly, it most certainly is - but board of directors and certain admin staff also need to know.....it could also be possible external agents also need to know to get list of targets confirmed internally (at least if there is moderate interest in a move at the very least)

a couple of posts back someone asked who our picks were for ins/outs (though deleted as it seems you're not allowed to talk about Manchester United transfers in the Manchester United thread even if it's only fan speculation :rolleyes:) the club probably need at least 3 transfer windows imo to get things right but only if the structure of the club is put right first. wholesale changes are needed and not just in the players. certainly though the back line needs a serious overhaul. a good team needs a good defence. we've not had one in years. there's no one really i'd specifically pick to keep or lose out of the defence - wipe the lot out and start again maybe :p

Three or 4 summers are probably required, I would agree with that (very difficult if not impossible to do anything major in the winter unless it wasn't completed in the summer for some reason).

I would agree with that, start from the back and rebuild the defence (despite his similar errors this season, would still keep Shaw, and lindelof and give Tuanzebe decent playing time as well)

Rashford, Lingard, Fred (still has a lot to learn), McTominay (a bit limited but will die on the pitch for the club) and as mentioned before Pereira - but majority of the rest can be phased out or sold immediately imo - would love to keep Herrera but that ship sailed long ago (and I don't blame him at all)

Soldato
I wonder if Martial and his agent needed to know who he was going to be playing under to sign his new deal - certainly wouldn't be completely out of the realms of possibility ?
if he needs to know then get shot....pandering to these players is partly why the club are in the situation they are. he and his agent have zero need to know OGS position had been made permanent. certainly inform them that plans are in place, blah blah details like that. specifics no. if he wants to play for the club then knowing Mourinho is gone should be enough. if it's not then he's in the same taxi as Mourinho. :p
but board of directors and certain admin staff also need to know
ah yea, board of directors - yea certainly. admin staff......**** no. why the hell do they need to know. as far as they are concerned OGS is on a temp contract until 'X' date. Unless of course part of the offer was an immediate increase in wages etc that may warrant certain admin staff knowing. though at a business like Man U I would hope their contracts of employment contain robust enough NDA/privacy clauses that it is enough of a deterrent....but then again i'm maybe asking a bit much given how the club is currently run ;)
it could also be possible external agents also need to know to get list of targets confirmed internally (at least if there is moderate interest in a move at the very least)
again absolutely zero need or reason to give any potential player such detailed specifics. yea, inform them that things are in place blah blah blah......if they insist on knowing details, either walk away or slap an NDA that will bankrupt both the player and agent on the table. if the player is genuinely interested in playing for the club he'll accept that. if he doesn't, well no big deal......just means we have a few less players kissing the badge while instructing their agent to look at other clubs.

Three or 4 summers are probably required, I would agree with that (very difficult if not impossible to do anything major in the winter unless it wasn't completed in the summer for some reason).
100% spot on....sorry I wasn't clear enough, I don't consider the winter panic as a legitimate transfer window. for the most part (IMO) it's for mid table clubs looking to maintain their position or lower placed teams trying desperately to cling to their respective leagues. a team of UTD's stature should have a sturdy enough squad to see them through a season. if a top 6 team needs to be looking at the Jan transfer window then they have either hit a massive injury crisis of unseen proportions or they are a team that by luck rather than design has found themselves in a top 6 position!

Rashford, Lingard, Fred (still has a lot to learn), McTominay (a bit limited but will die on the pitch for the club) and as mentioned before Pereira - but majority of the rest can be phased out or sold immediately imo - would love to keep Herrera but that ship sailed long ago (and I don't blame him at all)
agreed, almost.....Rashford….so tempted to say 'cash him in'..... though I reserve the right to change my mind on that several 100 more times :p. sometimes I look at him and think, he's as good now as he's ever going to be, just another Danny Wellbeck.
Lingard and Fred for sure, they need to be held on to. McTominay, again agreed…...a team full of his attitude and effort would be a ***** sight closer the top of the table than this crop of 'can't be arseds' (granted not all fall into that category)

also agree that Herrera is seemingly done. utter shame but a perfect example of how utterly stupidly the club is being run. i'll say no more on transfer speculation for fear of falling foul of some weird forum rule but for me there's more need to leave than stay. but all that said, if the club do not get the top end right, EW/Dof etc then having the best players in the world will make **** all difference to the clubs current malaise.

Soldato
if he needs to know then get shot....pandering to these players is partly why the club are in the situation they are. he and his agent have zero need to know OGS position had been made permanent. certainly inform them that plans are in place, blah blah details like that. specifics no. if he wants to play for the club then knowing Mourinho is gone should be enough. if it's not then he's in the same taxi as Mourinho. :p

That isn't how things are done these days however much fans might want it. The investment was huge initially (think Utd have paid majority of the add-ons by now so approx. 53m or so) so with his contract so near the end - we would have got peanuts if anything at all this summer

ah yea, board of directors - yea certainly. admin staff......**** no. why the hell do they need to know. as far as they are concerned OGS is on a temp contract until 'X' date. Unless of course part of the offer was an immediate increase in wages etc that may warrant certain admin staff knowing. though at a business like Man U I would hope their contracts of employment contain robust enough NDA/privacy clauses that it is enough of a deterrent....but then again i'm maybe asking a bit much given how the club is currently run ;).

Admin staff - board of directors meetings - minutes, those actually organising the contract itself, secretaries over hearing phone calls - yeah admin people would know very quickly.

Of course NDA's would be present, but proving who leaked it just from sheer number of people in the know might not always be easy, For instance there have been major accusations that team sheets / formations have been leaked both under JM and OGS, but still cant find out who did it. Maybe its true maybe it isn't but it isn't the first time Ive heard that from reliable sources this season.

again absolutely zero need or reason to give any potential player such detailed specifics. yea, inform them that things are in place blah blah blah......if they insist on knowing details, either walk away or slap an NDA that will bankrupt both the player and agent on the table. if the player is genuinely interested in playing for the club he'll accept that. if he doesn't, well no big deal......just means we have a few less players kissing the badge while instructing their agent to look at other clubs..

Actually there is yes. Majority of players that Utd will go for will have multiple offers. Imagine for a second you hear you are wanted at Utd.....but Moyes is taking over......vs going to Leicester / Wolves /or even Spurs at the new stadium (even without us trying to compete for those also interesting City / Liverpool etc). Of course new players have to know.

agreed, almost.....Rashford….so tempted to say 'cash him in'..... though I reserve the right to change my mind on that several 100 more times :p. sometimes I look at him and think, he's as good now as he's ever going to be, just another Danny Wellbeck.

He may not be a Rooney just yet (if ever) but he is still only 21, and until OGS has barely played upfront. He needs a solid /consistant midfield behind him to get used to (and defence would help too lol), He has also been struggling with ankle and shoulder injuries recently so hasn't been at his best for the last month or so. He is local too, which will always give him more credit. 10 times better than Welbad was ever imo.

Soldato
That isn't how things are done these days however much fans might want it. The investment was huge initially (think Utd have paid majority of the add-ons by now so approx. 53m or so) so with his contract so near the end - we would have got peanuts if anything at all this summer
1 players contractual situation does not dictate how a club should be run, irrespective of the amount they cost. the tail's wagging the dog in that instance. I understand what you are saying but releasing the news that OGS was getting the job permanently should have had no bearing on martials contract. you cannot run a club trying to appease an individual, that's a recipe for disaster.

Admin staff - board of directors meetings - minutes, those actually organising the contract itself, secretaries over hearing phone calls - yeah admin people would know very quickly.
only if they are allowed to. how do other clubs manage this situation? UTD are certainly not unique in this predicament they find themselves in.

there are what, a dozen directors of united, several of which are part of the Glazer family. you can't tell me this couldn't have been handled differently and much more quietly.
For instance there have been major accusations that team sheets / formations have been leaked both under JM and OGS, but still cant find out who did it. Maybe its true maybe it isn't but it isn't the first time Ive heard that from reliable sources this season.
hearsay - so no bearing on the OGS situation. with team sheets you have a mulitude more people (players for example) seeing these and potentially being a weak link in regards a leak.

Actually there is yes. Majority of players that Utd will go for will have multiple offers. Imagine for a second you hear you are wanted at Utd.....but Moyes is taking over......vs going to Leicester / Wolves /or even Spurs at the new stadium (even without us trying to compete for those also interesting City / Liverpool etc). Of course new players have to know.
still can't agree with that point. it's up to the DoF (oops we ain't got one yet) and EW to sell the club and the vision to potential targets. if they can't sell the Manchester United to potential players without having to disclose specifically who is going to be taking over the management of the team then there's something badly wrong. yea you'll potentially miss some of your targets. but lay out the plans for the club (while giving a sensible reason for withholding the managerial situation) and those that you miss will be tempered by the fact you get players who want to play for the club.
He may not be a Rooney just yet (if ever) but he is still only 21, and until OGS has barely played upfront. He needs a solid /consistant midfield behind him to get used to (and defence would help too lol), He has also been struggling with ankle and shoulder injuries recently so hasn't been at his best for the last month or so. He is local too, which will always give him more credit. 10 times better than Welbad was ever imo.
i'll concede that point for now....but it may change again. :p i like the lad, but 21 isn't 17 and he needs to dump the silly parts of his game and sharpish (step over stumbles - Ronaldo he definitely isn't.....bombing straight towards goal and runing mouth first into a wall of defenders to name but a few) and yes i'm being over critical of him.....he'll maybe read this a gee himself up a bit :D
that said even if he never improved one iota from his current abilities then, yea, he is 10 times better than Wellbeck.

perhaps i'm maybe starting to get sentimental in my old age, dreaming of the halcyon days when players wanted to play for the club and jersey rather than the mercenary itinerants most of them seem to be now. :(

Don
1 players contractual situation does not dictate how a club should be run, irrespective of the amount they cost. the tail's wagging the dog in that instance. I understand what you are saying but releasing the news that OGS was getting the job permanently should have had no bearing on martials contract. you cannot run a club trying to appease an individual, that's a recipe for disaster.....still can't agree with that point. it's up to the DoF (oops we ain't got one yet) and EW to sell the club and the vision to potential targets. if they can't sell the Manchester United to potential players without having to disclose specifically who is going to be taking over the management of the team then there's something badly wrong. yea you'll potentially miss some of your targets. but lay out the plans for the club (while giving a sensible reason for withholding the managerial situation) and those that you miss will be tempered by the fact you get players who want to play for the club.
It's very rare that I agree with Frank but he's absolutely right about this. It's hard enough for Utd to persuade the best players to join them over other clubs right now and you expect them to be able to do it while keeping the manager a secret? The best players will want to know who they're playing for, what system they'll be playing in, the role the manager sees them playing. Imagine competing for a player that's just sat down with Klopp or Pep who, with all their charisma, has told them how great they are, how much they want them in their side, playing in x role and how they will link up with x and y. What chance has Woodward or some DoF got of persuading that player to join Utd without having to double their wage offer?

There's also the reverse issue of signing players without having a manager. Even the strongest DoF set-ups require a managers input. Signing players that a manager does not want is a recipe for disaster.

Back
Top Bottom