The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Define 'normal' :)

nor·mal/ˈnôrməl/
Adjective:
Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
Noun:
The usual, average, or typical state or condition.
Synonyms:
adjective. regular - standard - ordinary - common - usual
noun. normality - normalcy - perpendicular

Associate
I've found the bluebeards revenge is really quite good stuff. However if I were to make any suggestion re your recent purchases it would be to use the Derby blades first if as you say this will be your first *proper wet shave* before going anywhere near the Feather blades. :eek:

As I've said before: those feather blades are sharper than a sharp thing on a sharp day. Be careful buddy. :D

I went with the feathers, took a risk. It paid off big time. Was pretty careful and only did two passes, but man did I feel smooth.

I did still have a bit of shaving rash left from my previous fusion, and that flared up a little, so I'm gonna wait for that fully go before doing my next one, to see how I get on.

I loved the feel of the proper lather.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good shaving brush which lasts a long time? I.e. hairs not falling out after 12 months :p

I have a Progress Vulfix 660 and the hairs started to fall out after a year or so.

Also interested in some shaving oil to use in combination with soap.

Soldato
Hi guys. I had my first 'proper' shave yesterday. Most areas of my face are the smoothest they've been for years. Have a few questions though.

- Okay, so my Edwin Jagger was all shiny before I used it. Now it looks quite grotty. How do I clean this thing?

- A few hairs of the brush were coming off, onto my face. Is this normal? Also How do I clean the brush?

- The lather, how thick? Also when I apply it to my face, if I don't shave that area within about 10 minutes or so, it seems to set and dry.

- After a couple of strokes with my razor on a particular area, all the lather disappears. Should I apply more or just keep shaving that area?

Soldato
Hi guys. I had my first 'proper' shave yesterday. Most areas of my face are the smoothest they've been for years. Have a few questions though.

- Okay, so my Edwin Jagger was all shiny before I used it. Now it looks quite grotty. How do I clean this thing?
Polish it with a dry cloth. Try and dry it after each use and always take the blade out when finished.

- A few hairs of the brush were coming off, onto my face. Is this normal? Also How do I clean the brush?
Normal at first. Clean in Borax as below
http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/english-shaving-cleaning-your-shaving-brush.html

- The lather, how thick? Also when I apply it to my face, if I don't shave that area within about 10 minutes or so, it seems to set and dry.
Thick enough to be opaque. You'll get faster so don't worry.

- After a couple of strokes with my razor on a particular area, all the lather disappears. Should I apply more or just keep shaving that area?
Only shave an area once. Try to avoid shaving an area with no lather. Leave it for the next pass.

Associate

I just let it be grotty most of the time. If you want you can spend ages cleaning and polishing it every time you shave. About once a month or so I give my razor a good clean with some cream cleanser i.e. cif/jif.

Totally normal for the brush to shed hairs for awhile. It should stop with maybe a hair coming off every now and then. The brush just needs a good soak and rinse after use. A couple of times a year I soak mine in vinegar to clean out the build up of soap. Some people use shampoo to clean there brush.

You really just need to practice and find out what works. I'd guess you have too much water and air if it is drying out.

After a couple of strokes with my razor on a particular area, all the lather disappears. Should I apply more or just keep shaving that area?

You shouldn't be shaving an area without lather on it and yes you should be reapplying more if you wish to shave that area again.

Soldato
If you can't find a 34C anywhere email the shaving shack & ask them to let you know when they get them in, that's what I did, didn't take long.

Emailed them and they're coming into stock end of the week.

Just had a notification from traditionalshaving who has just had more stock so ordered one from them.

Hope I don't destroy my face, I'm not even good at using normal razors. Moving due to cost really and the fact you don't get a nice shave.

Commissario
Hope it goes OK for you, just remember, use no pressure and don't overshave areas which are dry and without lather.

Cost?
Cost saving?

I've got two brushes, three razors, six tubs of cream, one tube of cream, three pucks of soap, three tubes of aftershave gel and one bottle of aftershave lotion. Add to that one bottle of cologne and remember that I have three more tins of shaving soap on the way. Oh and don't forget the sample blade pack and then then two packs of 100 blades in each.

That's in three months!

Now talk to me about cost savings :D

Soldato
Hi guys,
Looking to get my dad a decent shaver for Christmas, he usually uses the typical shop ones but something like the ones in here would be something different.

What would people that recommend in terms of shaver, cream and blades etc. Not mega expensive but a good quality one.
Cheers

Man of Honour
Hi guys,
Looking to get my dad a decent shaver for Christmas, he usually uses the typical shop ones but something like the ones in here would be something different.

What would people that recommend in terms of shaver, cream and blades etc. Not mega expensive but a good quality one.
Cheers

Quick copy and paste from the last page of what I got

Heres what I got as a birthday present, all products that were recommended here.

Razor - Edwin Jagger DE89

http://www.shaving-shack.com/edwin-j...de-blades.html

Brush

http://www.shaving-shack.com/progres...ing-brush.html

Shaving Creme

http://www.shaving-shack.com/taylor-...mond-150g.html

Whichever free gift from shaving shack you fancy, blades are a good idea.

Then the Sample pack from Connaught shaving Captain Planet has linked.

Blades and cremes are much a muchness it's mostly down to personal preference.

On to blades after my second shave with the Feathers I find they seem to dull very quickly, felt like it was tugging and I got a very small patch of minor irritation. So I'm going to try the Astra Superior Platinum in the morning and see what they are like.

Soldato
I shave around every 10 days and use a Merkur but can't remember the name of it (has a short handle and a yellow adjustment). Tried creams and brushes etc but now I just slap some cheap boots conditioner on my face and it does the job fine, don't bother with all that aftershaving chemical product crap neither.

Commissario
As mentioned before, I bought a tub of Proraso a couple of weeks ago and I'm really enjoying using it. I'm finding I get better cushioning and protection from it than I do from the ToBS creams and the same is true from MWF when I get a good lather out of it (doesn't yet happen every time).

I have three soaps on order from Mike's Natural Soaps so looking forward to trying them once they arrive.

Soldato
Been the proud owner and user of a DE89 thanks to this thread. It all started when my wife picked me up two tubs of shaving soap/cream from TKMax as they were a quid or two and knew I was low on my usual nivea sensitive foam gel. This was over a year ago and after reading this thread back then, I was going to plump for a Merkur 34C HD, though in the end chickened out and got a Phillips electric.
Along with the EJ DE89, I got an EJ medium Super badger brush.
Never enjoyed shaving so much as I have now, really feels like an event I look forward to now and the results are second to non. Never had my skin feeling so good after a shave.
The soap/cream that started it all are a Pecksniffs citrus blast shaving cream and Knayton Hall Black Tie. Like them both, although I got the tiniest bit of the black tie in my eye and it stung like hell and went bright red for hours. I've used it since ok, just really carefully.
Feek prompted my first post here as I currently have the urge for new soap, though justifying it while I have these tubs which could last a year or two is stopping me. Though sorely tempted to get some Fitjar Citrus kick. The ucanlikthis puts me off Proraso and not keen on my imagined scent off the wool fat.
Blades wise I got a Gillette tester pack from that Connaught link, along with the Derbys that came with the Razor, I also got a pack of Feather.
Tried the Derby, Black Gillette 7o'clock and Astra platinum. Astra's being the best of those three for me so far.
Brilliant thread b.t.w. Never thought I'd be so excited about shaving, watching shaving technique vis etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom