The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
^ might be way off, but are you outside in the cold much?

I was outside on the Wednesday. Just the usual walking through town but I spend most of my day inside. I haven't had a shave since then purposely and it seems fine today but might just leave it till tomorrow. Nothing changed with my shaving routine. Have a hot shower, bluebeards cream, shave, cold water. I didn't use any afterbalm which might have been it. Will remember for tomorrow.

Commissario
I shaved this evening using Old Spice shaving cream - Not the stuff made in the USA but the original recipe made by Shulton in India. I liked it so much that I've already ordered three more tubes and some aftershave lotion!

Associate
Anybody able to help out with the shaver and brush stand? It's the one item holding me from placing the order. (Or at least, requesting the order for Christmas!).

If not - How/where do you guys store your shaver when not in use?

Thanks.

Associate
A quick question :D

I have just started DE shaving and it seems to be going ok, after my initial issues of holding the razor at far to much of an angle and having it skip all over I am now managing quite fine.

However my stubble seems to be made of stone or something and doesn't seem to want to be removed very easily especially around my throat. So really my question is are they specific blades designed for a tough growth or is there something I am missing.

I am using a merkur 34C with Astra Platinum blades at the moment and I have some Derby extras to try as well. Also using the bluebeards revenge luxary shaving cream and a badger hair brush.

Associate
Try the feather blades. They're apparently the sharpest, that may help.

On my own shaving related adventures, got through my second DE shave today after having to let my beard grow out a bit due to bad rash from my last 4 blade shave.

Although I got rid of it all eventually, it was quite difficult. Had to do a fair few passes, and as the blade clogged up sometimes it just stopped cutting through the hair and 'skimming over'. I don't plan on leaving it to grow as long again, but if I do I should probably use my electric trimmer to bring down the thickness the day before.

How many people use an alum block? When do you use it? Immediately after a shave? Do you use it instead of or before a post shave balm?

Associate
Ok, thanks. The block is weird, very solid and doesn't seem to produce any lather. Just wet and rub on nicks/areas likely to suffer?

Commissario
Rinse your face, wet the block with cold water and rub it on your face. Wait a minute or so and then rinse again, don't leave the alum on your skin for too long. I don't use it very often, just if I know I've nicked myself enough to need it and that's a rare occurance now.

Soldato
Nope, just uses disposable BIC things from the supermarket.

If I get a Merkur 34C, do I need double or single edge razor blades?

The thing with DE shaving is it's more of a personal preference to choose to do it. You might buy him a DE razor as a gift, he might feel inclined to have to use it and then eventually he could decide it isn't for him and stop using it.

It's like buying him brown sauce when he has always eaten ketchup, if that makes sense? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
The thing with DE shaving is it's more of a personal preference to choose to do it. You might buy him a DE razor as a gift, he might feel inclined to have to use it and then eventually he could decide it isn't for him and stop using it.

It's like buying him brown sauce when he has always eaten ketchup, if that makes sense? :p

To be fair though has anyone who hasn't shaved themselves in this "artist" way gone back to regular shaving? I mean I am pretty much a girl as most people who have seen my face in the post a pic of yourself thread would agree. I used to shave with a trimmer and now since I have gone to using a blade it's just sooooo nice haha. If you buy him nice kit and he uses it, I bet you he will go out of his way to buy his own blades and cream/soap. Going back to BICs seems laughable and he should be mocked if he does.

Associate
Treated myself to a Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Classic this evening, to replace the cheap and cheerful Boots own brand DE razor I've been using for the past few weeks. Hopefully won't take too long to be delivered!

Associate
I got mine next day from shaving shack, it's a really nice feeling item!

I seem to have had much better results cutting through my beard this morning coming from a few days growth, just a shame I have to shave daily! I will try some of the feather blades and see if they make a difference.

Associate
Can I just say that, for 50p, the Palmolive Shave Stick is amazing! Unbelievable value for a decent lather.

Also, alum blocks are miracle workers. Shaving is so much better for using one.

Can't wait to get a decent razor at Christmas now.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good but cheap electric shaver? My snout is getting a wee bit chilly with this weather so i'd like to keep some hair on instead of getting rid of all of it! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom