The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Posties been!

8252919480_8cd7c45992_z.jpg

Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Classic
FREE 10 Derby Extra Double Edged Razor Blades (Only 1 Free Offer Per Order!)
Proraso Shaving Cream Jar (150ml)
Alum Block
Gillette 7 O' Clock Double Edged Razor Blades

The 34C certainly does feel nice and weight compared to the Boots own brand DE razor I have been using for the past few weeks! Looking forward to trying the 34C tomorrow! :D
:)

Soldato
Good choice of blades as well IMHO. I have a multi-pack I'm still getting through and found the Astras to be evil and the 7 O'Clocks / Derbys to be fantastic.

I need to order some goodies now - I've had mine about 6 months and only half way through the shaving cream!

M.

Commissario
You've made the same mistake as me. That Proraso in the tub isn't cream, it's soap. Admittedly it's soft soap but it's not a cream. I picked up a tube of Proraso which is cream and I much prefer it to the soap. Sapone is Italian for soap!

I didn't like the Astra SP blades in my DE89L but they work so well in the slant that I've bought 100 of them.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You've made the same mistake as me. That Proraso in the tub isn't cream, it's soap. Admittedly it's soft soap but it's not a cream. I picked up a tube of Proraso which is cream and I much prefer it to the soap. Sapone is Italian for soap!

I didn't like the Astra SP blades in my DE89L but they work so well in the slant that I've bought 100 of them.

I'm the opposite, the Atras are one of my two favourites in my DE89 along with the personna platinum. Will be ordering 200 of the Personna blades off amazon soon. £15 for 200 isn't bad at all.

Commissario
This really isn't the best thread to ask that question, you're probably better off starting a new one for it as this is really all about wet shaving with real soap, animal hair brushes and cold steel blades :)

Soldato
Merkur 34c, Proraso sensitive soap, feather blades = best shave of my life [/Pauly D]

I'm asking for some real shaving stuff for Christmas.

I'm after a razor/soap/brush/dish and blades.

Would it be best to get a 'shaving kit' with those items included or to buy them all separate? Either way could somebody recommend something for a first time 'real' shaving kit.

Soldato
To be honest there are loads above.

Personally razor:

Merkur 34c
Badger hair brush

Some generic stand I got from a link in this thread. I quite like the Taylor of Old Bond Street Lemon and Lime shaving cream (literally a finger tip full is enough for the entire shave and I go through several passes).

Blades are the hardest thing to get right in my opinion. I like the Gillette 7 O'clock ones and the Derbys. I hate the Astra ones as they seem to rip my face to shreds without even getting a good shave (probably dull blades but I've tried 3 times with the same result).

M.

P.S. Best to price it up off Amazon, Traditionalshaving, etc. and see if getting a set or separates will benefit you.

Soldato
I've asked for:

Feather Double Edge Razor Blades 10-pack - Feather
£6.90

Edwin Jagger Ivory-Coloured Plastic Handle Pure Badger Hair Shaving Brush
£16.36

Executive Shaving Company Stand with Lathering Bowl
£24.50

Proraso Shaving Soap For Sensitive Skin (150 ml)
£8.10

Merkur 34C Double Edge Razor (Safety razor) - Merkur
£31.95

Total: £87.81

What do you think?

Soldato
I've asked for:

Feather Double Edge Razor Blades 10-pack - Feather
£6.90

Edwin Jagger Ivory-Coloured Plastic Handle Pure Badger Hair Shaving Brush
£16.36

Executive Shaving Company Stand with Lathering Bowl
£24.50

Proraso Shaving Soap For Sensitive Skin (150 ml)
£8.10

Merkur 34C Double Edge Razor (Safety razor) - Merkur
£31.95

Total: £87.81

What do you think?

Straight in with the Feathers could be brave, you might be better off buying a variety pack and seeing which you get on with best. Try Connaught Shaving.

Don't buy the expensive stand, just do without or buy as cheap as you can.

Anyhow, you haven't even started shaving yet! Face like a baby ****!

Soldato
i've tried all of those, the only one i now use is a styptic pencil if i get a nick.

The alum block is now sometimes used as a deodorant, i passed the gel on with a soap i sold.

Soldato
Commissario
A couple of weeks ago I bought three shaving soaps from Mike's Natural Soaps. The Barbershop and the Coconut are absolutely amazing, I can't recommend them highly enough - My bathroom smelt of coconut for hours after I'd shaved and it even persisted after my daughter had a bath!

I didn't like the Bay Rum though and I'm giving that away via the B&B forum.

Come the new year, I'll be buying some more of these, they perform as well as they smell.

Soldato
Thanks for the update feek. I'm getting the Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper stick when it comes back in stock and I'm feeling flush... Tallow and lanolin is a killer combo :cool:

Nanny's is another artisan soap marker worth trying. I guess she's on the flip side of Mikes, tree hugger ingredients with mild scents. http://www.nannyssillysoap.com/ps/category.php?id_category=10&p=2
I've got the Lemony Lime with Goats Milk and it's nice and refreshing with decent performance. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom