The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
After getting my Merkur 34C + shaving accessories for christmas i'm finally getting used to using a real mans razor, I actually enjoy shaving now.

The only issue I seem to be having is shaving under my chin/around the neck area, every time i've had a shave i've cut myself and i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong?

Around my face/moustache etc I get a perfect shave.

I guess this will be down to the angle of the razor to your face as it turns over your chin. It's tempting to flick your wrist to compensate for this but this method isn't good apparently. So what I do is pull the skin up/down/left/right over to where I want it to get at the hair and continue the razor in the same direction, at the same angle, keeping the wrist locked (all the movement coming from my elbow and shoulder instead). Hope that makes sense.

Soldato
When I think about it I might actually be flicking my wrist, I'll trying and ensure I keep my wrist locked.

Do you shave with these razors every day? I've heard people like to alternate between these and a modern razor.

Soldato
I use my DE89 daily with Astra Platinum blades and I can shave fast and easy with no nicks or cuts.

My girlfriend bought me some Proraso cream for christmas and some Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandlewood which I use normally anyway.

Used Proraso for my last couple of shaves and its been nice. Very smooth glide.

She also bought me a nice brush and brush stand.

Associate
Just about the only thing you can do is experiment - be it with different soaps/blades/techniques w/e until you find what suits your own face. For me I just don't get on with feather blades - everyone else seems to love them & they just cut me to bits - the Israeli blades give me a smooth shave & rarely cut myself so I brought a load of them.

Soldato
How many shaves on average does a blade last? I'm finding that I can only get one shave per side of a blade, anything more than that and they're next to useless.

I don't have particularly manly stubble either.

Soldato
How many shaves on average does a blade last? I'm finding that I can only get one shave per side of a blade, anything more than that and they're next to useless.

2 shaves and i bin each blade, i use both sides on each shave.

Any more than that and i tend to get some irritation, which for the cost of blades isnt worth it.

Soldato
Can anyone give me some advice on which products to get?

I have a Merkur 34c with feather blades and a decent badger brush. Currently I am using a cheap shaving foam (Gillette Classic Sensitive Skin Shaving Foam), because my soap has run out, and I actually quite like it.

Before that I used Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap and I quite liked it but I feel it wasn't the best for me. (Prefer this Gillette foam in a way)

I often get spots on my face and I'm starting to think that it could be due to shaving irritation (and possibly red marks etc)? which probably means I have sensitive skin. Also after shaving I use a general skin moisturiser which I'm quite happy with.

A while ago I used a shaving oil in combination with the soap and it gave a much smoother shave, I didn't buy it again after I ran out due to it being expensive.

So which product(s) do you think I should go for considering the above? I'm thinking either a soap or cream plus an oil, and maybe a post shave product if it will offer any advantage over a general skin moisturiser.

Thanks

try using Witch Hazel as an aftershave, boots sell it as gel or in a bottle very cheaply. it is excellent stuff.

Associate
Odd question: What is the best/safest way to dispose of used blades? I'm concerned that a bin man could cut himself should he be rather unlucky and catch the blade. At the moment I wrap the used blades in tissue paper which I feel is sufficient but I'm wondering if there is a better way...

Soldato

You use one side per shave? Thats pretty weird.

I alternate sides with each pass. Pass once, turn, pass again, rinse.. pass once, turn, pass again, rinse... repeat.

I can get about 3-4 days out of a blade before I change. Depends how well I soften my face via shower etc prior.

Soldato
Odd question: What is the best/safest way to dispose of used blades? I'm concerned that a bin man could cut himself should he be rather unlucky and catch the blade. At the moment I wrap the used blades in tissue paper which I feel is sufficient but I'm wondering if there is a better way...

I normally end up snapping em in half and putting em in Beer or Coke cans lol :)

should probably get sharps bins really.

Commissario
Skully, I only use a blade for two shaves, maybe three but I'm like Hedge in that I just alternate per stroke and use both sides equally. I don't just use one edge per shave. I'd be interested to know what blades you're using, Skully.

I bought a blade bank from eBay for just a couple of quid but you could get any kind of tin, seal it and cut a small slit in the top.

Associate
There's a slot in the bottom of the thing the blades come in that you can push your used blades into, once you run out of good blades put it into the recycling - it's only plastic & metal, should be fine right?

Soldato
You use one side per shave? Thats pretty weird.

I alternate sides with each pass. Pass once, turn, pass again, rinse.. pass once, turn, pass again, rinse... repeat.

I can get about 3-4 days out of a blade before I change. Depends how well I soften my face via shower etc prior.

Skully, I only use a blade for two shaves, maybe three but I'm like Hedge in that I just alternate per stroke and use both sides equally. I don't just use one edge per shave. I'd be interested to know what blades you're using, Skully.

When I say one side I mean I use the top half of the blade, then on the next shave turn it over. I use both sides when shaving (as in turn the razor round in my hand).

I've tried Derby Extra and Astra Platinum.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend any decent razor and brush stands? We've now got a bathroom cabinet big enough to store all my shaving stuff and I would like to store my brush and my Edwin Jagger DE razor on a stand. It makes sense to me to use a single stand for both. I'm looking to spend no more than £40. I have looked on Traditional Shaving and Shaving Shack but a lot of the stands are quite expensive and a few of the cheaper ones are out of stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom