The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
i had my first shave with my Fatip Piccolo last night, it's the first Open Comb DE i've used.

I had a very nice shave, nice and close, it's quite an aggressive razor as i didnt really need a touch-up pass after my 2nd pass.

The finish on the head and comb is fine, but the handle finish isnt very good as you can see from the pic, my Weber Bulldog handle fits the head, so i will try it with a big heavy handle next shave.

rjDGQig7

So having tried a 37c Slant and the Fatip this week, i like both of them and recommend them if any of you guys fancy a change, both very efficient razors.

Soldato
Been reading this thread for weeks now and decided to take the plunge.

Just bought myself a Wilkinson Sword Classic DE and will report back later tonight after "mutilating" myself, thought it prudent to spend a fiver on one of those to try 1st before splashing £30+ on a Muhle or Merker

Soldato
So there I was, styptic pencil at the ready and I've managed to have a shave without 'nicking' myself.

I'm impressed, not quite as close as I'd hoped but I suppose that comes with practice but could feel a hell of a lot less drag than with a brand new Fusion blade.

Must say 1st impressions are good and if this is what a cheap 5 quid one can do and feel like then I am looking forward to 'upgrading'

Soldato
I've not used a Wilkinson but I would imagine that it's the weight of the Merkurs, etc. that would help out as you don't really have to put any pressure on them. Though probably 8 months into DE shaving and I still get clumsy and cut myself.

Just got 100 Gillette 7 O'Clocks Yellow (as these were the best blade from the trial packs) for £10.99 from Shaving-Shack. Plus 10 Feathers as a free gift (which then forced me to buy a styptic pencil!) and finally some Poraso cream. With 10% off as well.

Should keep me going for this year easily!

M.

Soldato
Time to try out a new shave soap/cream and new aftershave balm. What t go for? Might try the Lime TOBS. Not sure which balm though.

i've stopped using balms, Proraso and Speick Aftershave lotions are both very good, i can see me using both for a long time.

Soaps - MWF, VITOS Super Extra Coconut (Almond scent) and Lea Shave Sticks (New Lanolin Formula) along with Proraso Menthol are my Favourites.

Soldato
I've got some Nivea balm that works quite well, I also got som L'Occotaine Cade balm that's very good (£20 a tube though but you don't need that much)

Commissario
Although I've found a blade which gives me no irritation, soreness or redness whatsoever I still like to use a balm afterwards.

My go to balm is ToBS Shaving Shop which I really like, it's a good texture and has a scent which isn't too strong but complements the matching ToBS shaving cream. I bought one from The Real Shaving Co but although it's a mild product, it irritates my skin so I gave it to my lad. I found this really strange as nothing else has caused any irritation.

This was an early purchase and I've got loads left, I don't rate it very highly at all and I recently bought Trumpers (lol) Extract of West Indian Limes which I've only used once but liked it. I think I won't be buying any other aftershave balms except for the ToBS Shaving Shop once I've used the others.

Soldato
Has/Does anbody use the ToBS Sandelwood shave cream?

I was tempted but would like to know if anyone has any experiences of it as my next stop is a brush and cream

Commissario
Yes, I've got that one, it was the second cream I bought after ToBS Shaving Shop. It's a good smelling cream and works as well as all the other ToBS stuff. The scent doesn't linger long after the shave but it hangs around long enough for Mrs. Feek to sniff me and go 'yum, I like that'.

Soldato
Had been umming over ToBS for a while, particularly which scent. Going on the fact the sandalwood is best rated at most places I decided to go for that to be safe (although I'm sure I'd like the lime or avocado equally too). Went for the matching balm too. Cheers guys ;)

Commissario
Out of the three ToBS creams I've used (Sandalwood, Shaving Shop and Mr. Taylors), Shaving Shop is still my favourite. I hadn't used it for a few weeks but picked it up a couple of days ago and had almost forgotten how good it smells once the lather appears. It really is fantastic.

Soldato
Can anyone give me some advice on which products to get?

I have a Merkur 34c with feather blades and a decent badger brush. Currently I am using a cheap shaving foam (Gillette Classic Sensitive Skin Shaving Foam), because my soap has run out, and I actually quite like it.

Before that I used Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap and I quite liked it but I feel it wasn't the best for me. (Prefer this Gillette foam in a way)

I often get spots on my face and I'm starting to think that it could be due to shaving irritation (and possibly red marks etc)? which probably means I have sensitive skin. Also after shaving I use a general skin moisturiser which I'm quite happy with.

A while ago I used a shaving oil in combination with the soap and it gave a much smoother shave, I didn't buy it again after I ran out due to it being expensive.

So which product(s) do you think I should go for considering the above? I'm thinking either a soap or cream plus an oil, and maybe a post shave product if it will offer any advantage over a general skin moisturiser.

Thanks

Associate
I've got some Mitchell's wool fat & find I get a bit of a rough shave with it, I tried out some Proraso shaving cream ( green tub ) & got a lot less irritation after shaving, so that might be worth a try - once mine has run out I'm gonna try the sensitive version to see how I get on with that. I've tried oil before & did't find it made much difference to me.

Soldato
After getting my Merkur 34C + shaving accessories for christmas i'm finally getting used to using a real mans razor, I actually enjoy shaving now.

The only issue I seem to be having is shaving under my chin/around the neck area, every time i've had a shave i've cut myself and i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong?

Around my face/moustache etc I get a perfect shave.

Soldato
I've got some Mitchell's wool fat & find I get a bit of a rough shave with it, I tried out some Proraso shaving cream ( green tub ) & got a lot less irritation after shaving, so that might be worth a try - once mine has run out I'm gonna try the sensitive version to see how I get on with that. I've tried oil before & did't find it made much difference to me.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of going for these:

Proraso Pre and Post Shave Cream (Sensitive)

Jermyn Street Collection Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin

Also I found the feather blades pretty cheap here.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-FEATH...le-Edge-Razor-Blades-/380382188630#vi-content £17 for 100, free shipping worldwide. Running out of those soon too, much cheaper than the Shaving Shack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom