The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every god damn every time I decide to go and order everything they are always out of stock of the Edwin Jagger and Merkur 34c, they always seem to never have them!

The Edwin Jagger DE89L is in stock at Amazon.

My order of 100 x Med Prep blades appears to have gone missing in the post so hopefully they'll get a replacement shipment out today as I've only got one left. It's frustrating as it's the second shaving related order that's vanished in the post.

With three days growth, I used a Feather in my 39C this morning and was reminded just how efficient that razor is and with the Feather it was a great combination. I used Indian Old Spice lather cream today and finished off with Indian Old Spice aftershave and a dab of Old Spice cologne. I love that classic, spicy scent!

Thanks Feek, ordered that, umm guess I need a collection of blades, ssoap and brush, at teh cheaper ends if possible!?
Ohh and im betting one of those pencils ill need at a fair few point.

Just to add I have ordered,
Vulfix Styptic Pencil & Case
Popular Blade Sample Pack (60 Blades)
Shaving Cream Soap
‘Eucalyptus & Menthol’ 150 ml

As seen these recommended in one comment or the other, as a first outing, is their anything else needed?

Wouldn't bother with a styptic pencil, just rub an alum block over your face.

The Edwin Jagger I was supposed to get for Xmas (actually got it earlier but that is another story) is great. I still need to order some proper cream but the Palmolive stick is serving me well at the moment.

Need to get a sample pack of blades, too.

Havnt read THAT much about it, but how do the Alum Blocks work?

Ended up getting the following then.

Edwin Jagger DE89L
Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol Shaving Cream Soap 150 ml
Popular Blade Sample Pack - 60 blades ( what a good one to start with?)
SAL Alum Block 100g
Proraso Shave Cut Healing Gel 10 ml( as im expecting a few curse words to be flung at the mirror during the learning curve)
Medium Turned Hard Wood Bowl (Beech)
Muehle RHM 5 Chrome Shaving Brush Stand
OMEGA 76 Pure Bristle Shaving Brush ( cheap brush, but for a first outing)

Last edited:
Out of all the blades in that sample pack, I'd go with the Lab Blues first. It's said that those and the Med Prep blades are very similar and the Med Prep blades are quite simply the best I've used.

Both the block and the pencil can be ignored if you're careful and take time to work out how your face works, how the growth develops, and how you should prep.

cu3ed - go straight to Feathers if it is an adjustable (I'm not familiar with it but I imagine it is). Feathers are unforgiving blades if you're careless or too keen but will give you the smoothest shave without spending significantly more on blades.

[FnG]magnolia;23514901 said:
go straight to Feathers if it is an adjustable. Feathers are unforgiving blades if you're careless or too keen but will give you the smoothest shave without spending significantly more on blades.
The DE89L isn't adjustable. I'm not sure I'd recommend using a feather as a first blade without getting a bit of practise in first. The feather blades are pretty much the sharpest available and as you say, unforgiving. With a poor technique a feather blade will shred your face!

I assumed the Feathers would be a touch much, I dont have a strong beard any ways, and would be shaving coming out of the shower after using a proper scrub on the face, so everything should be nicely softened up any ways.

Stupid question, but I assume you take a little soap on the brush, then using the bowel to "froth" it up, use then just rinse the bowl out?

Feathers is what I would aim for, but having a lighter beard it made more sense to get a good average shaver and see what kind of results I got, for me it might be enough, plus always an option to go by a better razor down the road.

Stupid question, but I assume you take a little soap on the brush, then using the bowel to "froth" it up, use then just rinse the bowl out?

I leave my brush to soak in hot water whilst I shower. I take a small pea size amount of cream, put it in the bowl and add a dash of water. I then froth it round for about a minute getting rid of all the big bubbles and the mix is all swollen and spongey. I will keep adding a splash of water until the consistency is right. There are some good vids on youtube.

Bowl is rinsed out and dried. Brush is rinsed, shook off vigorously then rubbed on my towel until dry.

Last edited:

I think the key is to keep working it until the large bubbles all go and the lather is rich.

^Tells you about good technique with the razor. Not flicking your wrist for example.

Last edited:
Thanks for those, I actually watched a bunch of his vids, as he even did a shave with the one I ordered, he seemed pretty impressed with it.

Will give those others a watch though.

Quick question: After a few uses my badger brush seems to be 'frayed' at the edges. By this I mean it still holds its general 'bulb' shape however the hairs on the outside of the 'bulb' are not particularly uniform and some are bent, certainly they look a little 'frayed'. Is this normal? Or the sign of a bad technique? To use I'm circling it in soap for a few seconds and then in a soap bowl for about a minute before applying. After I thoroughly rinse the brush before wiping it on a towel to get it reasonably dry before putting it on a stand.

Obviously when wet the brush shape changes slightly but appears to 'return' to its shape when dry apart from the previously mentioned few stragglers. Thanks!

Feathers is what I would aim for, but having a lighter beard it made more sense to get a good average shaver and see what kind of results I got, for me it might be enough, plus always an option to go by a better razor down the road.

Don't aim for a particular brand of blade, aim for the one that works best for you. If you get good, close and comfortable shaves from [say] an Astra or Derby blade then that's absolutely fine and dandy. You then get the benefit of the cost because feather blades are double the cost of everything else!

/edit - RastaManBob, no problem there, that's the bloom of the brush and there will always be a handfull of stragglers at the edge.

Last edited:
Some great customer service from Traditional Shaving. I order one of the D. R. Harris almond shaving soap refills and when it arrived it seemed to be lavender even though the box said it was almond. Sent them a message on their website and they replied saying it must have been a packing error at the factory end and have sent me a replacement free of charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom