The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my first proper shave today and pretty pleased with it although I need to work on my technique. I couldn't get a real good lather going with the Proraso but reading through the guide a few pages back I think I was pressing the brush too hard. Used the Derby Extra blades that came from with my Edwin Jagger and found them to feel a little blunt so hoping my other blades turn up soon.

I'm going to cut down on my soap buying (maybe)

EJ89, Astra's, Col. conk (almond), Alum, Skin food (sandalwood).

That's all I need - I blame the B&B forum for my addiction that seems to have slowed now - they make everything seem, so, alluring.

Recipe
2 x tubes Shulton Old Spice lather cream, imported from India
1 x empty and cleaned ToBS tub

Method
Squeeze the contents of the former into the latter

Results
Indian_Old_Spice_in_a_tub-20130130-194533.png

Conclusion
Life is good :cool:

Need new cream/soap. Too many choices!

What do I get!?

Using tbos sandlewood at the moment it's nice but I do fancy a change. Lasted nearly 6 months!!

I hate shaving I really do, I use a Mach 5 and always end up feeling a little dry and sore after. I have sensitive skin and I'm looking for a nice new way to shave.

Not sure on budget guess a hundred or something. Any idea on what to get? I don't grow uber amount of facial hair, maybe 2 weeks is what someone would get in a day or 2 lol.

Thanks

I hate shaving I really do, I use a Mach 5 and always end up feeling a little dry and sore after. I have sensitive skin and I'm looking for a nice new way to shave.

Not sure on budget guess a hundred or something. Any idea on what to get? I don't grow uber amount of facial hair, maybe 2 weeks is what someone would get in a day or 2 lol.

Thanks

Edwin Jagger Chrome-Plated Lined Handle Via the rainforest company £23

Progress Vulfix 660S Super Badger shaving brush from same as above £15

Sample pack of blades
http://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html £10

Proraso Soap for sensative skin ( same as me) £6
http://connaughtshaving.com/001682.html

Proraso pre shave Cream ( again, found this very good) £9
http://connaughtshaving.com/proraso2012.html

You can add a few things, like maybe a balm etc for after the shave as I got, and an Alum block to help jsut after the shave, seems to be working for me, all thats left is im still learning my "technique"

MWF - Sounds gross but it smells and performs great!

cu3ed, it's OK, you can say Amazon because OcUK don't sell shaving gear (although perhaps they should) :)

Postie came today, four days from India is pretty good.

spicy.jpg

Last edited:

That's the one, but i buy the puck only for about £6 and use one of my ikea tins.

Lea sticks, also lanolin like MWF from here --> http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/ (also for super iridium blades)

Connaught shaving sell VITOS, it's about £4.50 for a refill size or about £15 for 1kg

Those three soaps are the only one's i will buy again out of the 15 odd i tried last year.

All produce excellent lathers and my face feels awesome after using them.

Last edited:
Just got myself the Kent BLK2 brush and the Tabac soap (our local CO-OP is closing down so got them cheaper than online), looking forward to getting home and rocking the old school Tabac scent

Bought a selection pack of blades as I was finding my Feathers just too aggressive. So far I am absolutely loving the Gillette Silver Blues - really smooth shave and zero irritation. They might just be my blade!

Have found on a couple of occasions my skin going a bit blotchy after with redness around the chin area, is this a shaving thing ( doesn't feel sensitive like razor burn or anything like that), but wondering if its the alum block that could be a bit "too much" for sensitive skin?

I've just taken the plunge and bought some bits and pieces to get me started with 'proper' shaving :)

How many shaves should each blade be used for typically? What's the aftercare for the razor per shave? Just let it dry? Take the blade out between uses?

Silly questions, but I am a novice :)

Depends entirely on your skin/hair. I shave on a Sunday night and use the one blade. I then use two from Mon-Fri.

Wash it and let it dry - yip.

Just got some MWF and some Grandpas Pine Tar soap to be ultra manly :)

I bought myself a setup consisting of a Merkur 34C, TBOS Sandalwood (cream), pure badger brush & stand and a selection of blades a couple of weeks ago, having previously used the same Mach 3 (+ cartridge!) for more months than I care to remember. I'm very pleased so far - just working through the blades to figure out my preference.

However, two items I still want but haven't figured out which to go for yet are:

• Balm
  • Blade bin
Does anyone have any suggestions for the latter? None of the e-tailers I bought the first items from seem to have any!

I bought myself a setup consisting of a Merkur 34C, TBOS Sandalwood (cream), pure badger brush & stand and a selection of blades a couple of weeks ago, having previously used the same Mach 3 (+ cartridge!) for more months than I care to remember. I'm very pleased so far - just working through the blades to figure out my preference.

However, two items I still want but haven't figured out which to go for yet are:

• Balm
  • Blade bin
Does anyone have any suggestions for the latter? None of the e-tailers I bought the first items from seem to have any!

If you buy 'feathers' the packs have a slot to dispose of your used ones. Pretty damn handy.

• Balm
  • Blade bin

I just use a tin piggy bank. It was free with some sweets inside. I glued the lid down just in case someone tried to open it or it got knocked over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom