The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought myself a setup consisting of a Merkur 34C, TBOS Sandalwood (cream), pure badger brush & stand and a selection of blades a couple of weeks ago, having previously used the same Mach 3 (+ cartridge!) for more months than I care to remember. I'm very pleased so far - just working through the blades to figure out my preference.

However, two items I still want but haven't figured out which to go for yet are:

• Balm
  • Blade bin
Does anyone have any suggestions for the latter? None of the e-tailers I bought the first items from seem to have any!

I'm currently using the TOBS shave balm, it's very nice.

EDIT : This one

Last edited:
I hate being clean shaven personally. I spent £15 on Amazon on a Remington electronic shaver which gets it down to about 1-2 days worth for me and only takes about 45 seconds. SO I just down this 3 times a week and i'm good to go.

I couldn't stand shaving it was a chore for years and I had to spend a few days a weke clean shaven which sucked. One of the best £15 i've ever spent and a year later it's still running perfect.

It gets it exactly how I want it, no fuss at all

If you buy 'feathers' the packs have a slot to dispose of your used ones. Pretty damn handy.
The selection I got didn't include any Feathers. But I don't yet know which blades are best for me anyway. Otherwise a nice idea.

I just use a tin piggy bank. It was free with some sweets inside. I glued the lid down just in case someone tried to open it or it got knocked over.
I like this idea. I'll find a tin piggy bank. Thanks.

^ They look great.

Makes total sense you would post that here doesn't it?

Do you feel "cool" now?

Hehe, having stubble is much more comfortable than a leccy shave or scraping 5 blades over a dry/unprepared face. Thank goodness we're no longer at the whims of mass marketing, well almost :p

8446915965_f798758a44_z.jpg

Super close today :)

Try some base Aloe Vera gel, it does a wonderful job at healing skin. Trumpers extract of limes skin food is usually highly recommended too, Feek has some.

I have some older Aloe Vera gel but its labelled as aftersun. It worked very very well as aftersun. Despite being aftersun do you think it will do the same thing?

I last shaved on Friday morning so to say I was stubbly today with four days of growth would be an understatement. I used Mr. Taylors cream which previously I was unsure about but I recently revisited it so now my opinion has changed and I like it. I used my favourite blade, the Med Prep in my Merkur 39C and had a fantastic shave. Three good passes, a touch up and I've had a superb smooth shave with no irritation. I probably didn't need the touch up but there was lather in the brush and it seemed a shame to waste it :) I used ToBS Shaving Shop aftershave balm and then a few dabs of Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve aftershave cologne.

I've got no thoughts about using straight razors although I won't rule them out for some time in the future. However I am looking at the Above The Tie razors, specifically the Atlas and Titan and more specifically the Stainless Steel 7 Piece Set. Yes, it's expensive but it's effectively six different razors so divide the total cost by six. I should never need another safety razor again.

Last edited:
Uck - tried a Bluebird blade from my selection pack this morning. Horrible shave. Maybe I was unlucky and just got a bad one, but it was essentially like shaving with a dull blade.....lots of tugging and irritation, and not even great results at the end of it all. Gillette Silver Blues still the clear winner for me.....so far.

Uck - tried a Bluebird blade from my selection pack this morning. Horrible shave. Maybe I was unlucky and just got a bad one, but it was essentially like shaving with a dull blade.....lots of tugging and irritation, and not even great results at the end of it all. Gillette Silver Blues still the clear winner for me.....so far.

I've read good things about the Silver Blues and have one ready to try on my next shave. Yellow 7 O'Clock I've found good too. Worst has been a Derby Extra, irritated my skin and felt blunt to shave with.

I last shaved on Friday morning so to say I was stubbly today with four days of growth would be an understatement. I used Mr. Taylors cream which previously I was unsure about but I recently revisited it so now my opinion has changed and I like it. I used my favourite blade, the Med Prep in my Merkur 39C and had a fantastic shave. Three good passes, a touch up and I've had a superb smooth shave with no irritation. I probably didn't need the touch up but there was lather in the brush and it seemed a shame to waste it :) I used ToBS Shaving Shop aftershave balm and then a few dabs of Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve aftershave cologne.

I've got no thoughts about using straight razors although I won't rule them out for some time in the future. However I am looking at the Above The Tie razors, specifically the Atlas and Titan and more specifically the Stainless Steel 7 Piece Set. Yes, it's expensive but it's effectively six different razors so divide the total cost by six. I should never need another safety razor again.

Interested in price.
Checks price.
Opens mouth.
Closes mouth.
Closes page.
Logs off internet.
Feels sick.

One word to describe you my dear: GIT! :p

I've read good things about the Silver Blues and have one ready to try on my next shave. Yellow 7 O'Clock I've found good too. Worst has been a Derby Extra, irritated my skin and felt blunt to shave with.

Sae for me, Derbys was terrible for me, but they where early shaves and I think my technique has got better so might give them ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom