The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crème? Surely it's cream, I've not seen any pots or tubes of shaving stuff called crème.

I Old Spiced again today, all the way through starting with the shaving cream and wrapping up with aftershave and cologne. Love that stuff.

Have had the best shave so far, or of my life tonight, using a Perma-Sharp blade, think ive found a trick.

Using the Alum block you slide you finger tips on it, give a crazy good grip on you skin and pull and stretch it out for the difficult areas.

Mostly just for the neck area and raising the skin off the jawline, so nothing extreme but makes a huge difference, plus a lot less irritation in those areas!

Just used my Merkur 34c with a Gillette 7 O'Clock blade for the first time today. Great shave. Was worried at first I will cut myself to bit but I took my time and used only the weight of the razor to shave. I did 3 passes with no cuts at all.

I think that's the closest shave I have ever had. I used normal foam in a can as that's all I have until my order arrives from shaving shack. Certainly can tell its the closest shave I have had all day as my face feels like its on fire. I used some moisturiser I had from some shaving gift I got given two years ago. Having the post-shave moisturiser seems to be a must.

Anyway, look forward to the next one when I have some decent cream and pre-shave oil.

Just used my Merkur 34c with a Gillette 7 O'Clock blade for the first time today. Great shave. Was worried at first I will cut myself to bit but I took my time and used only the weight of the razor to shave. I did 3 passes with no cuts at all.

I think that's the closest shave I have ever had. I used normal foam in a can as that's all I have until my order arrives from shaving shack. Certainly can tell its the closest shave I have had all day as my face feels like its on fire. I used some moisturiser I had from some shaving gift I got given two years ago. Having the post-shave moisturiser seems to be a must.

Anyway, look forward to the next one when I have some decent cream and pre-shave oil.

I've tried a few blades with my Muhle R89 and the Gillette is the best blade I've had, you need to get yourself either a styptic pencil or alum block as the burning will subside within minutes using one of those.

Im not sure, a couple of us at work have been doing a blade test and all buying different ones, the last ones to try are the Feathers.

I think if you find one that suits it's up to you but I guess it would be like PC parts (it is a computer forum after all) and everyone's always looking to upgrade

Anyone used it before?
Nope.

Just a thought, if you find a blade that does a sweet job should you keep going trying others or just settle?
If you've found a blade that works perfectly for you, gives zero irritation and is smooth and comfortable then I'd certainly stock up on that particular blade. I must have tried around 20-30 different blades and bought 100 each of ASCO, Feather and Astra SPs before I tried the Personna Med Preps. The first three work well for me in different combinations of my three razors but the Med Preps work better than all of them in all razors. I've swapped the Feathers, given the Astras to my son and will probably get rid of the ASCOs as well. I may try other blades but I'm very comfortable that what I've ended up with is the absolute best for me.

A blade may feel great, the Feather, Astra and ASCO ones did for me but the Med Preps have just taken it to the next level of smoothness and comfort. You'll know when you've found 'the one' for you as it will be unlike anything else.

I've got 300 of them already and will just add another 100 each time I place an order :)

Might be a mix of getting a better technique, find it kinds funny that the blade is was putting off using what looking like a rubbish blade lol. Will stick with them for a bit longer and see if the results stay the same. I think also I'm going to invest in a proper badger brush as I don't think the synthetic one is giving the best lather.

That irritation may be due to your first DE shave, it could subside once your skin is used to it or your technique improves. If not then experimenting with different blades and creams is always satisfying. (and you should always moisturise after any shave anyway! :p )

Just a thought, if you find a blade that does a sweet job should you keep going trying others or just settle?

I have a favourite blade but I'm not going to stop trying out others in the meantime. There might be something even better that I'm missing out on! :o ;)

I've tried a few blades with my Muhle R89 and the Gillette is the best blade I've had, you need to get yourself either a styptic pencil or alum block as the burning will subside within minutes using one of those.

I've got one on the way, So do you use the stick on your whole face after shaving? I thought people use it to help heal small cuts?

Has anybody used the wool fat soap, was going to get the TOBS Sandalwood cream but the wool fat soap appears to get really good reviews?

Didn't work well for me but I'm sure it works for some people, I found it hard to generate a decent lather. I now have a TOBS cream for sensitive skin which works much better for me.

Quick question, what does everyone use to mix up their lather? I was watching a YouTube video and some guy said he uses a coffee mug. I prefer the look of the little wooden bowls but the cup seems like it might be easier to hold since it has a handle. Also seen people just use their hand?

^ The little wooden bowls are really just meant for storage. And brush loading if you cba to take the soap out :p

I use my face, followed by palm or side of the sink for quick cold water shaves and a big antique bowl for lengthy hot water shaves (...but I really want a proper scuttle like the one below :))

attachment.php

Just got some of this through the post. Ive not had chance to use it yet and never used a proper after shave before only used balms. http://www.shaving-shack.com/proraso-after-shave-100ml.html

Anyone used it before?

yeah i use that Proraso Splash or Speick Splash, both are very good IMO.

Has anybody used the wool fat soap, was going to get the TOBS Sandalwood cream but the wool fat soap appears to get really good reviews?

MWF is one of my favourite soaps, along with VITOS Coconut and Lea Stick. They all produce awesome lathers.

Quick question, what does everyone use to mix up their lather? I was watching a YouTube video and some guy said he uses a coffee mug. I prefer the look of the little wooden bowls but the cup seems like it might be easier to hold since it has a handle. Also seen people just use their hand?

I use my face to mix the lather, i much prefer face lathering to using a bowl.

Last edited:
Nope.

If you've found a blade that works perfectly for you, gives zero irritation and is smooth and comfortable then I'd certainly stock up on that particular blade. I must have tried around 20-30 different blades and bought 100 each of ASCO, Feather and Astra SPs before I tried the Personna Med Preps. The first three work well for me in different combinations of my three razors but the Med Preps work better than all of them in all razors. I've swapped the Feathers, given the Astras to my son and will probably get rid of the ASCOs as well. I may try other blades but I'm very comfortable that what I've ended up with is the absolute best for me.

A blade may feel great, the Feather, Astra and ASCO ones did for me but the Med Preps have just taken it to the next level of smoothness and comfort. You'll know when you've found 'the one' for you as it will be unlike anything else.

I've got 300 of them already and will just add another 100 each time I place an order :)

Where are you ordering the Med Preps from? I rather fancy a go at these now, you sell them rather well ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom