The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Let's start with £40 and see how we get on? Is that realistic?

From Shaving Shack

- Merkur 33C Classic Double Edge Razor (EdwinJaggers out of stock)
- Progress Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Mixed Badger and Boar Bristle Shaving Brush

£34.48 Delivered

From Super Market

- Palmolive Cream £2 (or less)
- Palmolive Soap Stick £0.50 (49p in Asda)
- Witch Hazel £2 (or less) as aftershave

From Superdrug

- styptic pencil £1.99 (for any cuts)

Total: £41 or less

a good starter razor, a good brush, a good soap and cream, a good aftershave and a cut stick.

Then its just blades, Astra SP are good consistant blades, but shaveshack are out of stock. Wilkinsons from boots or Personna's from the supermarket are ok to start with. I think you can get some blades as a free gift from shaving shack, there are 10% off codes around.

Soldato
Well I've started using Astra stainless blades, and have to say, they don't even compare to the Merkur super's I had, been left bleeding a few times (probably due to bad technique), but don't really want to use the rest of the blades I have left.

think it's time to order a selection of blades.

Soldato
From Shaving Shack

- Merkur 33C Classic Double Edge Razor (EdwinJaggers out of stock)
- Progress Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Mixed Badger and Boar Bristle Shaving Brush

£34.48 Delivered

From Super Market

- Palmolive Cream £2 (or less)
- Palmolive Soap Stick £0.50 (49p in Asda)
- Witch Hazel £2 (or less) as aftershave

From Superdrug

- styptic pencil £1.99 (for any cuts)

Total: £41 or less

a good starter razor, a good brush, a good soap and cream, a good aftershave and a cut stick.

Then its just blades, Astra SP are good consistant blades, but shaveshack are out of stock. Wilkinsons from boots or Personna's from the supermarket are ok to start with. I think you can get some blades as a free gift from shaving shack, there are 10% off codes around.

Cheers buddy - I will start the shopping. I've just that the Shaving Shack do a 'free gift' on orders over £10 and there are a few blades to choose from. Which would you get?

Soldato
Cheers buddy - I will start the shopping. I've just that the Shaving Shack do a 'free gift' on orders over £10 and there are a few blades to choose from. Which would you get?

I've tried all of those blades over the last year or so. The best for me out of those were 7 O'Clock Yellows or Astra SP. But everybody likes different blades.

Dont bother with those Israeli blades with the pic of a blade on them, you can get those (Personnas) at the supermarket for about £1.80 so may as well try some others.

What i would say when you start is stick to the same blade for a good few weeks, you want to keep everything the same to work on your technique.

It might also be worth sticking with canned goo to start with so you aren't learning how to make a good lather and figuring out DE shaving at the same time. The lather quality and blade angle with no pressure are the key to shaving this way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers for the feedback regarding blades. Could somebody please spare a second to talk me through what the big differences between blades are, and what impact they have?

Associate
Got a couple of creams today, Trumpers coconut oil which I love and was running low on so thought it was time for resupply. Also got an extract of limes by Trumpers which I'm a bit disappointed with the scent, it's a bit more soapy scent than limes. I was hoping it was more like Key Lime by Queen Charlotte Soaps which I've ordered from the States before and really liked. Was hoping the Trumpers would have been a good alternative.

Associate
Soldato
Came today. Bowl is really nice quality. Going to try it out tonight.

IMG_20130708_134549.jpg

Soldato
I wouldn't advise anyone on one particular blade. You should buy a sample pack and find which suits you personally.

http://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html

Absolutely this. When I first started having a "proper" shave I went straight for Feathers because sharpest must be the best, right? After finding them a bit aggressive for my baby-soft features, I tried a sample pack and discovered that Gillette blades are by far the best for me - either Silver Blues or 7 O'Clocks.

Associate
Just ordered myself a Merkur 34c from the traditional shaving company as they're on offer at the moment. Thought I would treat myself and it will be an interesting upgrade from a wilkinson sword DE razor that I have been using with Derby extra blades over the past 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom