The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
kin hell are you lot big girls blouses. Make do with a 10 pack of bics at 59p and forget the foam.

£50 odd for a razor, some people are advertisers dreams.

I use a one bladed bic razor but I do use a proper badger brush and soap, granted they only last about 3 shaves but I dont shave that regularly, (usually once on monday morning once on wednesday because Im not worried about a bit of stubble over the weekend

I found that if I use gels/ nearly anything else my skin gets irritated but funnily enough the badger brush and soap stop my face from getting irritated at all!

Soldato
OP
I have purchased a Merkur....:cool:...comes free with 30 blades of somesort as well!

Will let you know the verdict when I get it!

I take it you shave in the same way as normal with one of these bad boys?

Soldato
I have to agree with some on here that shaving in the shower is a far better way to keep irritation to a minimum. Nice fresh hot water running which is a god send after a shave. Saves splashing water on your face and missing parts of your neck/face that still have oil/gel that can get under the pores and cause more irritation. Remember, its not just the shave that irritates.

Just stand under the shower after shaving and pat the fresh water all over your neck and face.

Associate
I have purchased a Merkur....:cool:...comes free with 30 blades of somesort as well!

Did you get it, how did it go? Seriously considering one of these if it will reduce spots after shaving.

Soldato

Hmmm.... If I got one of these with all those blades for free the gf would see them and use it to shave her legs, under her arms and shaving her *ahem* well anyhow she'll leave me with razor blades fit for nothing....

I used a Mach 3, have done for years, I just shave with either hot running water, or in the shower..... Niva face balm afterwards works quite well to soften the appearance of bumps etc.. Soothing as well.

Man of Honour
I use Nivea shaving foam, it's great and has a smooth glide over the surface and smells fresh, you also don't need to overuse it, one press releases enough foam to cover your whole face so it lasts ages too.

I have 2 razors though. Mach 3 Turbo and a Wilkinson Sword Quattro Turbo 2litre Titanium something, the silver and white one.

I like how hilariously overpriced Mach3 Turbo blades are compared to the Wilkinson....sometimes as much as £4 difference at some places round here but because sometimes i cannot find Mach3 blades in stock I grab the Quattro Titanium blades instead.

Both give a better feeling shave than the disposables that I have tried before.... FWIW shaving IN the shower is best :D

Associate
my stubble is so tough I have to make multiple passes over most areas which I think irritates some areas of my skin and secondly I'm never able to achieve a close shave at all.

How about using a cheap beard trimmer/ elctric shaver first to get rid of the bulk and then use your razor to achieve a close shave?

Soldato
Does anyone know what electric shavers are good, for when you really have to be out of the house in 5 minutes flat?

I normally do a wet shave, but keep an electric handy for when I'm in a rush or already late, however my old electric is getting on a bit and is giving me a bit of a rash on the neck now when used, so looking for a replacement.

Associate
Interesting thread. What's the main design difference between these double edged razors and say my gillette fusion? It's very hard to tell from the photos but is the DE razor just got 1 blade either side..? Is there any more chance you're going to cut yourself? Can do you a 'quick' shave with it?

Bar

Bar

Soldato
For "product" I would recommend the Elemis for men range - by far and away the best male skincare products out there. Granted its not made of cat urine and mustard so you risk being called a metro - but this stuff is the best. Not cheap but fantastic.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Merkur 34 C
Feather Blades
Mitchell Wool Fat Soap
Badger hair brush

The perfect shaving kit :)

Mine's not failed me once and I get 30 free blades each time I order at The Shaving Shack (RRP £12)

Interesting thread. What's the main design difference between these double edged razors and say my gillette fusion? It's very hard to tell from the photos but is the DE razor just got 1 blade either side..? Is there any more chance you're going to cut yourself? Can do you a 'quick' shave with it?

Yeah, you load it up with a double-edged blade.

You can't really cut yourself. Hence the name; "safety razor"

It's not as quick at first, but it's a closer shave and you soon get the hang of it, and won't go back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I use the fusion and so far have found it one of the best razors for quickness and smoothness when used with king of shaves gel. Tried the king of shaves razor last week it was terrible.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

For me it is

Merkur 34 C
Israeli made blades (thats what SS call them)
Taylor of old bond street cream (st james)
Pure badger shaving brush

Yeah the israeli are the blades you get free.

I tried the Derby/Israeli/Feather blade multipack to see which suited me.

Turns out I prefer the feather as they are much sharper and better for thick stubble :cool:

Soldato
I'm the worlds worst for rash, especially on the neck. I now use a Merkur and the results are "OMGWTFLOL". (i.e. excellent).

So, WIN

I don't wet shave because of the massive rash I get, thus generally use some babyliss trimmer every other day which does the job fine. Stayed in London the last few nights and used a disposable Gilette. Itchy and irratated tonight, and just can't believe I have never looked into something like this before.

Will ask for a Merkur from my Mrs for xmas.

*Lots of stuff*

Could yo link me up plz :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom