The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Yeah, you load it up with a double-edged blade.

You can't really cut yourself. Hence the name; "safety razor"

It's not as quick at first, but it's a closer shave and you soon get the hang of it, and won't go back.

You can cut your face to ribbons with a DE easy if your not careful... the only safety part about it is you can't do any real damage... unlike a straight where you could do your self some serious harm...

Associate
Save making a new thread, can anyone recommend a shaving brush to me at all? I'm sorted on most other things, but still need a brush. I want a badger hair one as I hear these are the way to go, but I also dont want to start shelling out tonnes of money on one.
Saw this and thought it may be good, since it comes with some soap too. Would it be any good to start off with:
http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/catalog/Taylor-Of-Old-Bond-St-Two-Piece-Gift-Set-p-2742.html

Soldato
AFAIK you want at least a best badger hair brush. A 'pure' badger brush is made from some pretty course hair and isn't so good to use (like that in your link). Edwin Jagger often have offers on their best badger brushes and come in at about £16 IIRC (I think that's what mine cost).

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.../@cEdwin Jagger Best badger shaving brushes@b

I have a medium one, but it doesn't look like they're on offer ATM.

Soldato
AFAIK you want at least a best badger hair brush. A 'pure' badger brush is made from some pretty course hair and isn't so good to use (like that in your link). Edwin Jagger often have offers on their best badger brushes and come in at about £16 IIRC (I think that's what mine cost).

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.../@cEdwin Jagger Best badger shaving brushes@b

I have a medium one, but it doesn't look like they're on offer ATM.

Yep, a best is what you want to begin with :)

Soldato
I'm gonna get a Merkur at some point, I keep seeing these threads. I'm on a 2 month beard at the moment, so I'm going to get massive irritation when I decide to get rid - might treat myself and make it easier when I go back to clean skin.

Soldato
I'm a proper cheapskate, DE with Derby blades (I bought 100 for £10 over a year ago). The razor isn't a Mekur, it's a Wilkinson Sword classic. Cost about £3.

I tend to use cheap shaving soap with a brush (lasts ages), not the best shave but much better then disposibles or any of the multiblade razors I've tried.

I also find I get a bit of a rash building up over a few days. When I stopped shaving on the weekend this got a lot better.

Soldato
I don't have a routine, I shave when I feel like it in a random method using whatever razor is in the bathroom.

I used to care, have cut-throats, safety blades and the like. Then I realised that shaving is a tiresome chore and no amount of fannying about will change that. It'll only make me a girl.

Although with Movember starting tomorrow, I may change this viewpoint.

Associate
I brought a safety razor last Christmas as a present to myself, got a nice brush & some soap with it & I actually enjoy shaving now. I had various Gillette things before & never got on with them.

If your thinking of upgrading, do your face a favour & go for it.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Hi guys, this is one helpful thread! Well i'm bad at this shaving malarkie i tend to shave once a week. After i do shave i get really bad irritation and burning, so i tend not to shave again! and i get a lot of ingrown hair too.

Gillette fusion
Gillette Scrub
Gillette moisturizer

Can someone spec me a good setup! max £100

Associate
If you want a preview of using razors like the merkur but without the expense, boots do a cheap (£3.50 + 5 blades) plastic version, may be worth a try before investing in a pricier version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom