The Matrix 4

Permabanned
Except now they are all basically the same thing.

Even if that where true, they all exist within the same sub genre :confused:

nearly everything from the last 10 years is forgettable and most of the films that aren't like interstellar are near the start of the previous decade so pretty much an anomaly

Again, that's an entirely subjective opinion. Just like me saying Interstellar wouldn't even make my top 10 the year it came out ;)

Caporegime
Even if that where true, they all exist within the same sub genre :confused:

Again, that's an entirely subjective opinion. Just like me saying Interstellar wouldn't even make my top 10 the year it came out ;)
so make a list? and what was the top 10 films of 2014 then?

oh damn 2014 was actually a pretty good year for movies according to google

Soldato
all the new waves of actors too where are the good ones? whos selling out the box office these days? chris pratt? :cry:

Yea I noticed this as well. There are no real "superstars" like back in the 80s and 90s. There is no one like Arnie or Stallone etc. around in this generation. Which is why they keep being brought for action movies even though they are in their 70s.

Permabanned
so make a list? and what was the top 10 films of 2014 then?

oh damn 2014 was actually a pretty good year for movies according to google

Really? You're making me posit my own subjective opinion to prove that there's objectively been no good films in the last 10 years?

I'm not arguing against YOUR opinion that nothing good has been made in years, that's fine, that's an opinion. But to say OBJECTIVELY that nothing of any worth has been created is frankly twaddle.

Caporegime
Really? You're making me posit my own subjective opinion to prove that there's objectively been no good films in the last 10 years?
I was not going to pick apart your list, I was just curious how many of them would have been recent rather than from 5-10 years ago.

probably needs a whole thread on it and a poll to decide if movies are getting worse or not

Caporegime
It's funny watching people saying The Matrix copied Dark City or vice versa but then forgets another movie that came out at the same time call Thirteenth Floor which was literally about a computer generated simulated world and the source material of that was from a book written in 1964.

I am not saying the Matrix copied that but the idea itself isn't new and you can't copy an idea, only the execution.

Permabanned
Yea I noticed this as well. There are no real "superstars" like back in the 80s and 90s. There is no one like Arnie or Stallone etc. around in this generation. Which is why they keep being brought for action movies even though they are in their 70s.

No, they keep getting brought back for their own franchises. There's a world of difference between people like Arnie and Stallone vs say Mark Rylance and Robert Redford... Not knocking either of them of course, they're great at what they do and made my childhood!

People who grew up watching the golden age of Hollywood where probably saying the same thing about Jimmy Stewart and Humphrey Bogart as you are about those two. It's all in when you're standing.

Soldato
No, they keep getting brought back for their own franchises. There's a world of difference between people like Arnie and Stallone vs say Mark Rylance and Robert Redford...

People who grew up watching the golden age of Hollywood where probably saying the same thing about Jimmy Stewart and Humphrey Bogart as you are about those two. It's all in when you're standing.

They have been in a bunch of other recent action roles, not just "their own". I can't think of any young actors as big now as they were.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Part of this discussion is that people get older and look back with rose tinted glasses, while failing to realise it's because they've gotten older and have more to compare against. Today's actors are superstars in their generation's minds. Laugh at Chris Pratt in comparison if you really feel he's not worthy of A-list (he 100% is imo, he has amazing screen presence), but he's not the only one. Take a look at the cast of Dune for example. Almost everyone in that movie is a reputable actor and there's a wide variety of ages.

Permabanned
Part of this discussion is that people get older and look back with rose tinted glasses, while failing to realise it's because they've gotten older and have more to compare against. Today's actors are superstars in their generation's minds. Laugh at Chris Pratt in comparison if you really feel he's not worthy of A-list (he 100% is imo, he has amazing screen presence), but he's not the only one. Take a look at the cast of Dune for example. Almost everyone in that movie is a reputable actor and there's a wide variety of ages.

This.

A lot of it just comes down to 'why can't things be the same as they where when I was younger?'

Soldato
Having finally watched I'm surprised no-ones mentioned the god awful RATM cover of Wake Up at the end?!

23rd Dec :D -

Along side the rest of the "it's an homage" type stuff, did anyone else feel like the female vocal cover of Rage Against The Machines "Wake Up" just summed up the failures of the film perfectly - A poor copy which was far worse than the Original was.

EDIT - It was by Brass Against, whose female vocalist was arrested for peeing on the face of a fan at a gig :D

Soldato
Best I can say is it wasn't entirely awful, maybe a 5/10 due to a few interesting ideas that sadly never really went anywhere. Not worth the price of a cinema ticket for sure.

Back
Top Bottom