**The Mental Health Thread**

Permabanned
Deary me this thread got dreary since I was last in here! That's fine of course, better to acknowledge a hard personal truth then deny it but still.

The point to life is that it ends. The fact your time is finite is what gives each second meaning. You don't have to aim at some imaginary self aggrandizing landmark on the horizon of your future self just because society deems it 'proper' and 'valuable'. Find what you love and let it kill you, preferably slowly :p

Caporegime
Deary me this thread got dreary since I was last in here! That's fine of course, better to acknowledge a hard personal truth then deny it but still.

The point to life is that it ends. The fact your time is finite is what gives each second meaning. You don't have to aim at some imaginary self aggrandizing landmark on the horizon of your future self just because society deems it 'proper' and 'valuable'. Find what you love and let it kill you, preferably slowly :p
A fairly important realisation is that nobody knows what they are doing. Everybody is making it up as they go along.

All the self-help books and all the good advice, is coming from people just like you and me, who will also experience their own anxieties, and question their own purpose and life choices.

There are no answers. People who think they know the answers are simply suffering from over-confidence.

Permabanned
A fairly important realisation is that nobody knows what they are doing. Everybody is making it up as they go along.

All the self-help books and all the good advice, is coming from people just like you and me, who will also experience their own anxieties, and question their own purpose and life choices.

There are no answers. People who think they know the answers are simply suffering from over-confidence.

True, but at the same time I'd say the pursuit of 'answers' is not something to ever be discouraged. That's sort of my point. Make your own answers and don't be afraid to share them.

Associate
'self help' books are just sketchy peoples way to try and get rich from other people's problems.

I remember taking a glance at my parent's copy of 'The Secret', and have no understanding how any human can be that gullible or daft to actually waste money on such trash.

True, but at the same time I'd say the pursuit of 'answers' is not something to ever be discouraged. That's sort of my point. Make your own answers and don't be afraid to share them.

Whats the point when the majority of humans still believe that 'god did it'?

Soldato

I think you'd enjoy the audiobook/book by Derren Brown called Happy.

Caporegime
The irony is there are a prescribed set of societal norms ("answers" of a kind), and people who find different answers from those prescribed norms are often shunned.

Associate
Well my usual nicotine pouch website finally undid their stupid post brexit delivery charges, now just £7. Ordered another 6-12 month supply of self medication.

I was having another spell of several days stuck in bed with zero energy and always feeling sleepy. Popped a 15mg pouch and now wide awake.

Ordered two high strength mixpacks.

Only since its still a lot cheaper to import nicotine pouches then it is to buy any medicinal stims online.

Associate
Funny, we were just talking about this at work. About managers causing mental health issues and causing people to go off long-term sick. Some managers are toxic and the best thing anyone can do is leave them.

As someone said to me once, "people don't leave jobs, they leave managers".

true for me.. my Dad died (well after some time in a coma actually) and my manager was totally unsympathetic and ignored all HR rules about time off to go be with him while he was dying (he was in France). Ended up with a formal complaint about manager and moved jobs after. Evil bitch she was....

Associate
true for me.. my Dad died (well after some time in a coma actually) and my manager was totally unsympathetic and ignored all HR rules about time off to go be with him while he was dying (he was in France). Ended up with a formal complaint about manager and moved jobs after. Evil bitch she was....

From my previous experiences, all managers are like that. All places of employment are all about 100% productivity, deviate from that and you get nothing less than disciplinary bollocking for taking any time off.

Then everyone wonders why so many people are 'work shy'.

Caporegime
From my previous experiences, all managers are like that. All places of employment are all about 100% productivity, deviate from that and you get nothing less than disciplinary bollocking for taking any time off.

Then everyone wonders why so many people are 'work shy'.
You should be grateful to work for the man!

Capodecina
Soldato
Would appreciate that, i've dipped in and out of various schools of thought since my breakdown, nothing tends to stick very long though.

OK, there are two videos from Alan Watts. I can't find the one I wanted to share since it's been removed from Youtube. But I have something very similar. I think you may find them helpful.

I was going to write a short synopsis on both for you, but it's simpler if you just hear them.

Soldato
@Lysander thanks for the links, I possibly have heard the first a while back, it seems to ring some bells. I'll have a good listen when i'm back home from work later. My wife/son are away visiting family for a few weeks at the moment and these are the times my mind goes overdrive due to lack of distraction, it's both a blessing and a curse.

Permabanned
@Lysander thanks for the links, I possibly have heard the first a while back, it seems to ring some bells. I'll have a good listen when I'm back home from work later. My wife/son are away visiting family for a few weeks at the moment and these are the times my mind goes overdrive due to lack of distraction, it's both a blessing and a curse.

I'll swap you if you like. I love the GF and the kids to bits, but man do I treasure the times when they're away. I need that solitary time more as I get older I find. Time just to do nothing and not feel bad about it. Weird how people often prefer either one or the other.

Soldato
I'll swap you if you like. I love the GF and the kids to bits, but man do I treasure the times when they're away. I need that solitary time more as I get older I find. Time just to do nothing and not feel bad about it. Weird how people often prefer either one or the other.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely need this time alone. I'm a solitary individual and am always happiest in my own company or just those closest to me. I don't like big groups, my friendship circle is tight and small. I don't mind large social situations and can function fine but I don't overly enjoy them. Yes I miss my wife and especially my son like crazy, however i'd struggle without the time alone.

It's one of the benefits of having a wife who's not English, once or twice a year she'll go and see her folks, stay a week, a month, or like last year, stay 3 months. Other folks think it's strange that we have these times apart but it's a hard reset. She's quite sociable and loves being around people but also admits these little breaks are good, I firmly believe it's the reason we're still together after almost 14 years.

We still video chat each day without fail, we text through the day, we don't just totally ignore each other :D

Back
Top Bottom