**The Mental Health Thread**

Arknor, so sorry you are going through all this, you are doing the right thing reaching out, even if it's hard, and especially when agencies keep pushing you away.

Reading your posts, what strikes me is that you need help in getting help, someone who can help articulate your needs to services, make phone calls on your behalf and so on. I'm too far away, otherwise I would offer myself. There are local charities and churches that would likely able to help with this, if no-one on the forum who lives closer can. The salvation army will try to help anyone, irrespective of personal beliefs or lack thereof, and I pretty much guarantee there's nothing they haven't heard before. I can probably get contact details if that would help.

This isn't your fault, and we are here for you.

yea it sucks because I don't think it's even a thing everywhere seems to always involve phone calls...
A fear of phones in Autism seems to be really common. Face2Face isn't much better but for some reason it just is as a last resort.

I wish I could do everything via text...

The options do exist, but finding them can be a challenge. Statutory (state paid) advocacy only kicks in way too late (usually after being sectioned etc) so looking at charities that can offer similar is needed, but when you're at crisis point, finding it can be hard.

https://giveusashout.org/ offers free mental health support via text message and have a good reputation.

makes me wonder if they are semi retired or young and still learning stuff.

I dunno what would be best but I guess either way they aren't likely to be experienced in hidden disabilities, especially when it comes to adults...
The reason I was diagnosed with ADHD last year is that the doctor was young and open minded/learning about current stuff IMO.

I was on a phone appointment about an eye infection, she asked about my general health. I said "I'd say I'm depressed but that's quite normal". She asked some questions and suggested I look for an adult ADHD or perhaps autism assessment. Honestly I almost cried just at being listened to and someone having some insight. That started the ball rolling.

Unfortunately you'll generally find doctors vary, some are open minded and some are old fashioned. Some will get hung up on how you talk to them and some will obviously have experience listening and communicating with different personalities and conditions.

Still really struggling and now with added unrefreshing sleep. In addition to that I just snapped and burst into tears at the dinner table with someone else complaining that they were 'sooooo tired' despite having a full nights sleep regularly and actually leaving the house and going to exercise classes. I blew up at them for such stupid comments and well you can imagine how that went....

Just utterly defeated :/
Try not to get hung up on what other people say. Humans as a species are quite selfish and tend to focus on their own issues without considering the feelings of others around them. May I just suggests that in a situation such as that you give them the benefit of the doubt and don't dwell on it. Being sensitive to such comments around you will only worsen your stress and feelings.

I understand that there is a much bigger picture going on here but taking small bites out of the problem is much more manageable than trying to solve it all in one bite

GP was running 20+ minutes behind.
Rushed me in and out in about 5 minutes.
said he would read my letter in his own time thoroughly and only read about 20 seconds worth in front of me.
someone from social services is going to contact me within 3 days.
Blood test in 4 days time.
another appointment with him in 8 days time.

He updated loads of stuff on my medical record, I think it was mostly blank :confused:

it didn't even list me as autistic even though the diagnosis letter is on the system..

From an outsider pov what this Dr. has done today feels like a good step forward for you hopefully.

The fact he was interested in staying in the moment with you instead of you sitting in silence, bit also giving you the reassurance that he would be reading your letter when he has the time to consider it properly is good, granted might not have felt it at the time (i know I would have been thinking...."why aren't you reading it all!").

Him ensuring your official file is updated that proactively shows he cares about his job and the system understanding it patients

Him giving the timeline of progressing events that he is arranging is also really good too as this gives you contact points and lines in the sand where you know that something that is in some shape or form is support for you and understanding your suffering.

Also of only for the short term these could give you some times / dates to focus upon and then structure as much as you can your resting etc. In order to achieve attending them.

What you are going through is deep and engrained and will take a lot of unravelling, I really have every hope this guy is the start of something good for you :)

I don't come on this thread too often and very irregularly post as I suffer with my mental health and find it hard to put myself on a pedestal, as you have said though....knowing this "room" is here is a really great thing :)

Arknor, what were you hoping the GP would do? (Genuine question).

Have you had any contact with the crisis team?

Abbreviations after a doctor's name do not mean anything that would change your care.

A friend of mine died today. He has been unwell since 2015 so it wasn't a shock, yet it was at the same time. Had some very bad luck with treatment, including getting radiation poisoning from incorrect administered treatment. He was just about to hit 50. I have long felt that I shouldn't put off doing anything now in the hopes of doing when I retire, I may not even make it that far. It's a balance I guess but as soon as I'm back from my US holiday in April I am planning my next one. Quite a lot of apathy towards most things at the moment, the only things I really enjoy are my job and planning stuff like holidays.

A friend of mine died today. He has been unwell since 2015 so it wasn't a shock, yet it was at the same time. Had some very bad luck with treatment, including getting radiation poisoning from incorrect administered treatment. He was just about to hit 50. I have long felt that I shouldn't put off doing anything now in the hopes of doing when I retire, I may not even make it that far. It's a balance I guess but as soon as I'm back from my US holiday in April I am planning my next one. Quite a lot of apathy towards most things at the moment, the only things I really enjoy are my job and planning stuff like holidays.

To be blunt you’re a long time dead don’t wait tomorrow may never come

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been putting anything off and certainly don't see that changing. The world is my oyster and yet I'm not really taking advantage of that as much as I could.

Join the club mate. I find myself just coasting though life with no real direction and it's incredibly depressing. At least you enjoy your job :)

Longing for better times gone by doesn't help, but I dwell on that almost constantly :(

Join the club mate. I find myself just coasting though life with no real direction and it's incredibly depressing. At least you enjoy your job :)

Longing for better times gone by doesn't help, but I dwell on that almost constantly :(

I read somewhere that nostalgia is a coping mechanism for depression. I often think about how happy I was at school and pre 25 generally. Thing is, I can totally get back to that stage with a few changes and yet I can't find the motivation to do most of them.
Hoping my holiday next month kick starts me a bit.

I read somewhere that nostalgia is a coping mechanism for depression. I often think about how happy I was at school and pre 25 generally. Thing is, I can totally get back to that stage with a few changes and yet I can't find the motivation to do most of them.
Hoping my holiday next month kick starts me a bit.

It's a potential reason why so many people always go back and watch the same TV series over and over.

had my occupational heath interview, we both agreed i am still a bit broken but would benefit from a phased return and further benefit from permanent reduced hours
6 months off now ,beats me how i have an amazing lifestyle but ended up a bit loopy, i think its my habit of isolating myself from other humans tbh

had my occupational heath interview, we both agreed i am still a bit broken but would benefit from a phased return and further benefit from permanent reduced hours
6 months off now ,beats me how i have an amazing lifestyle but ended up a bit loopy, i think its my habit of isolating myself from other humans tbh

Humans need social interaction, depriving yourself of this will only cause issues.

Back
Top Bottom