**The Mental Health Thread**

This person I was talking about earlier today has PTSD. Well, I don't know if it's diagnosed but it certainly seems that they have it given the experiences they've had and the reactions.

I'm sorry to hear that about your friend, it seems like they've really had a rough life. I really hope that they get the appropriate

I'm sorry to hear that about your friend, it seems like they've really had a rough life. I really hope that they get the appropriate

Thank you, they have been sectioned. Not sure how long for. She has had her phone taken away so is incommunicado. I think that is not a good thing, taking her music away and her communication with the world and sticking her in a cell with just her thoughts. Surely that can't be that helpful.

One of the hard things about this for me, at least, is that no-one knows what to say when you tell them. I was talking about it this morning to a friend who, after literally one minute just said, "well, anyway..." and started talking about his girlfriend.

"Anyway"? I think that things like this are just off the map for a lot of people so they don't know how to talk about them and end up reverting to something more familiar and understandable.

@Lysander will be honest, prior to my own mental health issues, i'd have like reacted the same as your friend, as it was so unrelatable before i really 'got it'.

I think i've mentioned previously but since my problems, i've been shocked when opening up slowly to others about what I was going though, just how many people are in the same boat. Have been on medication, through treatment, have their own real struggles. People you'd have absolutely no idea who on the outside seem so utterly confident and together.

Indeed, it's a case of until you've experienced it yourself it's hard to understand. Probably why there's such little understanding in general of mental health, across the board though not just the general public but the health sector as well.

Thank you, they have been sectioned. Not sure how long for. She has had her phone taken away so is incommunicado. I think that is not a good thing, taking her music away and her communication with the world and sticking her in a cell with just her thoughts. Surely that can't be that helpful.

One of the hard things about this for me, at least, is that no-one knows what to say when you tell them. I was talking about it this morning to a friend who, after literally one minute just said, "well, anyway..." and started talking about his girlfriend.

"Anyway"? I think that things like this are just off the map for a lot of people so they don't know how to talk about them and end up reverting to something more familiar and understandable.

I'm really sorry to hear this, but it might be for the best. I think they do it to isolate the problem and to remove any barriers to treatment. Well atleast in theory. I've only ever been asked if I would feel safer in a facility once when I was at my worst. So, I can't really comment but I really do hope she gets the help she needs.

Can she receive good old fashioned letters? If not maybe send some anyway so she knows how much you've been thinking of her. That can really help. She's probably feeling very alone right now. Maybe suggest a visit in the future, give her something to look forward to.

The sad reality is most people really don't understand mental health and it makes them uncomfortable. As a teenager I was told by my mum she'd almost ended things, I'm ashamed but remember thinking how pathetic and weak a person must be to even think of it. Having lived through it, I don't think that now. What I do know is depression really changes how you view things, changes your decision making abilities and can force you to be selfish. Even when you're not like that. I made some monumental mistakes, and did some pretty selfish things that at the time I didn't for a second realise where mistakes until after it was pointed out and I was starting to recover.

People can try their hardest to be understanding but as others have said, until you've gone through it, you just don't get it.

Thank you @Vidar

I wonder how long she will be away for. We're talking about someone with a ream of issues from self-harm to depression and suicide attempts, possibly PTSD. Wonder if it could be a week or two.

People generally find it uncomfortable as they don't know how to respond, especially if they have never been through it themselves, or they might have their own issues and feel embarrassed, ashamed, or uncomfortable, and don't want the focus of such a conversation turning towards themselves.

Sorry to hear about your friend, but she's receiving support and for want of a better term, is lucky to get a bed right now, which are few and far between.

It's tough on you indeed but where she is the risks will be mitigated, which I'm sure you understand can only be a good thing.

Thank you @Vidar

I wonder how long she will be away for. We're talking about someone with a ream of issues from self-harm to depression and suicide attempts, possibly PTSD. Wonder if it could be a week or two.
From experience, it'll probably be 3 to 6 weeks. If you need any questions answered about psych wards let me know and I'll try and help.

From experience, it'll probably be 3 to 6 weeks. If you need any questions answered about psych wards let me know and I'll try and help.

That's a long time. What will happen in that time, do you think? I mean, what processes could they take her through? Sorry, I know that's a vague and very open question. Any insight you can give would be interesting.

That's a long time. What will happen in that time, do you think? I mean, what processes could they take her through? Sorry, I know that's a vague and very open question. Any insight you can give would be interesting.
OK, so bear with me.

Psychiatric wards and hospitals are generally only used when the risk is considered high. That could be suicide or a danger to others. Generally speaking, the ward or hospital will be looking to stabilise each person and discharge them as quickly as possible but since the ward round is once a week it'll normally take at least two weeks. One to see how you are when you have been admitted to the hospital and then based on behaviour one or more per week after that.

The best way to make friends on the ward is to go out smoking. Basically, everyone smokes and it is a great way to get out regularly and be in contact with people.

It is incredibly boring. Just remember you are not allowed certain things in so if they have a laptop or a mobile phone they'll have to get it charged by a member of staff in the ward office or some other locked room. You can keep the phone or laptop in your room though you just can't charge it.

Don't make the mistake I always make and shut yourself off as being in contact with the other patients can be really good. The staff are good as well (although very busy so there is a lot of waiting around).

As for processes other than one ward round a week, there isn't much. So headphones (make sure they are wireless) and a laptop are pretty useful.

I know that was a rubbish explanation but if you have any more specific questions I'll answer.

OK, so bear with me.

Psychiatric wards and hospitals are generally only used when the risk is considered high. That could be suicide or a danger to others. Generally speaking, the ward or hospital will be looking to stabilise each person and discharge them as quickly as possible but since the ward round is once a week it'll normally take at least two weeks. One to see how you are when you have been admitted to the hospital and then based on behaviour one or more per week after that.
Psychiatric wards are only ever accessed when there are risks at all, no risk, no admission.
Ward rounds once a week? Not in ours or any that I know of, it's once a day, or more, depending on risk, current and historical presentation, and known diagnosis of any MH illness I.e. schizophrenia, you leave a schizophrenic without review for a week? Absolutely not.

Psychiatric wards are only ever accessed when there are risks at all, no risk, no admission.
Ward rounds once a week? Not in ours or any that I know of, it's once a day, or more, depending on risk, current and historical presentation, and known diagnosis of any MH illness I.e. schizophrenia, you leave a schizophrenic without review for a week? Absolutely not.
You must be lucky. I've only ever seen a psychiatrist once a week and they are the only people who can discharge you and yes I do have schizophrenia.

My friend is out now, she was released at 5am yesterday morning her time. Apparently an average day consisted of forcing them to eat [not sure what "forcing" means in this context], giving them various medication and having them attend discussion circles when they sat around and talked about their issues, depression and experiences. She also played a lot of Uno. She says she feels "1% better" than when she went in and that the experience was, overall, ****.

I want to thank everyone who supported me and who gave advice and opinions. I was so relieved yesterday to hear she was out.

I've got a small problem that I'm worried might set me back years.
In August, I have to get on a plane and fly to Poland. I can't get out of it because it's a family event and my wife is insisting on it.
The last time I got on a plane I attempted to fight people to get off. Once I got to my destination I had a total meltdown and refused to get on the plane to come back home, necessitating a very long and stressful train journey back.
It took me 5 years to recover from that. I was a total wreck.

I can see it going one of two ways; either I'll be absolutely fine, or I'll have another meltdown and be back where I was 5 years ago.

I can see it going one of two ways; either I'll be absolutely fine, or I'll have another meltdown and be back where I was 5 years ago.
Can you not drive there? Sure it'll take a long ass time, but still.
What is it that causes the panic attacks? Is it fear? Just thinking if you can get to the bottom of that some, it might help.

I went to my first session today for my ADHD diagnosis. He said it'll take about 3 months in total, but I am glad I have started.

It's fear of being trapped. Once the doors shut on the plane I can't leave.
We looked at driving but I don't think I could handle that either.

Something that helped me when flying was reading an article that said to "come to terms with your fate", if you're going to die in a plane crash so be it, there's no pointing worrying and fighting what will be. I know the feeling of the doors closing but really one way to look at it is to relish the chance to sit back and relax and let the flight crew take responsibility for your safety.

Back
Top Bottom