**The Mental Health Thread**

I nearly flipped out last night, but thankfully I managed to stay in control, so I didn't do anything extreme. It was a shock to hear the voices for the first time in six months. I hope I can cope with it moving forward, as this usually ends with the mental health team putting me in the hospital.

Been in here before but lost the thread.

I'm not feeling myself lately, and i don't feel like I belong where I am. It scares me a little as I don't want to hurt anyone, or any relationships I have with people, but my head's all over the place at the moment.

I just sent this to my therapist I see through work. I am finding it a real struggle to battle my own brain between the downs of not wanting to be here and then being so up that I'm terrified of not being here, to a point I get so riddled with anxiety and stress that I am making myself ill.

eVsXjYb.png

Just so tired to fighting myself so much and wish I could find a middle ground with it all that my brain didn't want to fight me on.

I suffer or have suffered from mental health problems, had two really bad acute psychotic episodes one in 2006 and another in 2009 which resulted in me being on a mental health ward for 3 months at a time.

I have to take antipsychotic medication everyday and also clonazepam as required to treat feelings of panic. I’m becoming addicted to them but they’re the only things that work.
Jesus, that's tough man. Why do you think you are like that? Did something trigger it or is it in the family or something? Maybe your upbringing on how to deal with things? Wired up a bit different?

Been in here before but lost the thread.

I'm not feeling myself lately, and i don't feel like I belong where I am. It scares me a little as I don't want to hurt anyone, or any relationships I have with people, but my head's all over the place at the moment.
Don't dwel on things too much and over think them. Do the things that make you feel happy and good about yourself. Help others as the fulfillment of creating that happiness in someone else will make you feel 10 time better

My dad has recently self-diagnosed himself with PTSD. I have ignored his communication on the matter because it's just attention-seeking now.

He says things like this but then refuses to seek professional help. It's always something like this:

"I read an article on the internet/saw a documentary/read something in The Guardian and I am convinced I have condition X."
"Oh OK, that's terrible, you must see your GP about it so you can get properly referred for help."
"No, I know how to deal with it, so it's not necessary."

Rinse and repeat. Year after year.

Don't dwel on things too much and over think them. Do the things that make you feel happy and good about yourself. Help others as the fulfillment of creating that happiness in someone else will make you feel 10 time better

I guess part of that problem is if I do the things that make me happy I may alienate myself from others.

There's other things going on that I don't know if I should communicate in here right now....I literally spent ny childhood talking to others and helping others with their problems, you'd think I'd be better at it.

I guess part of that problem is if I do the things that make me happy I may alienate myself from others.

There's other things going on that I don't know if I should communicate in here right now....I literally spent ny childhood talking to others and helping others with their problems, you'd think I'd be better at it.
Ok well best of luck dude. Just try your best to simplify things a bit. Living life is a hugely complicated and full on thing. So much stuff going on it's a wonder how we don't all end up panicking or getting a bit anxious about things.

Just try your best to take small bites of any challenges you face instead of trying to solve or cure things with one fowl swoop.

I won't pretend I'm some sort of perfect human with all the answers to stuff but I think that what I've written above is a good route to go down.

Jesus, that's tough man. Why do you think you are like that? Did something trigger it or is it in the family or something? Maybe your upbringing on how to deal with things? Wired up a bit different?
I think it runs in the family, I’ve never been that healthy mentally even as a child but didn’t have my first psychotic break until I was 30. My mother had mental health problems and I believe my grandfather on mothers side did as well.

I think it runs in the family, I’ve never been that healthy mentally even as a child but didn’t have my first psychotic break until I was 30. My mother had mental health problems and I believe my grandfather on mothers side did as well.
I feel for you dude, knowing that it runs in the family must make you feel like you can't break the mould or something. I think it can though, maybe try and surround yourself with things you can feed strength from. Use them to try and fortify yourself and your mental state.

I wish I could help more tbh. It can't be easy

I feel so crap in the mornings, I fluctuate from okay to sad where I almost want to cry but never well up. I'm almost pining for something I can't have and it's really starting to take its toll on various aspects of my life.

I feel so crap in the mornings, I fluctuate from okay to sad where I almost want to cry but never well up. I'm almost pining for something I can't have and it's really starting to take its toll on various aspects of my life.
This so much! Overwhelming sadness but unable to release it somehow? Wish I knew how to break through this awful state of mind.

It's awful isn't it? Just know you are not alone <3

This so much! Overwhelming sadness but unable to release it somehow? Wish I knew how to break through this awful state of mind.

It's awful isn't it? Just know you are not alone <3

Yeah, it's naff. Had a little word with the wife last night (sort of, more of a cuddle and random statements) which I hope made their way in...but just the other evening we had similar and she was a bit 'oh' when I reminded her. We'll see.

On a positive note, I'm seeing a friend today for a round of golf which will be nice, then out for some dinner. :)

Do you ever feel like your candle is finally burnt out? I can't do this anymore. I've tried for so long battling this illness and I'm so tired, meds, therapy, the lot. Nothing has worked. I can't escape from this I am trapped. I pray every day to god to take me away, I'm not going to last much longer the pain never ends :(

Do you ever feel like your candle is finally burnt out? I can't do this anymore. I've tried for so long battling this illness and I'm so tired, meds, therapy, the lot. Nothing has worked. I can't escape from this I am trapped. I pray every day to god to take me away, I'm not going to last much longer the pain never ends :(
It sounds like you need something in your life to reignite that candle of yours.

The candle is still there mate, it just needs to be lit up again

Yeah, it's naff. Had a little word with the wife last night (sort of, more of a cuddle and random statements) which I hope made their way in...but just the other evening we had similar and she was a bit 'oh' when I reminded her. We'll see.

On a positive note, I'm seeing a friend today for a round of golf which will be nice, then out for some dinner. :)
I went through a period of my life around 4-5 years ago where I was super unhappy with everything and everyone around me. I tried to speak to my wife about it but to be frank it was a terrible idea as she had always seen me as this pillar of consistency and reliability and it was very difficult for her to break this mould with me. I can't blame her as that has been our existence with each other for the last 15 years.

In the end it was clear to me that I couldn't really rely on anyone for help and once this reality hit home I started to work on myself and bringing myself back into the lives of the people I loved the most. It took a while but I did it and I'm back to my own confident self again.

I really do think that we put so much pressure on ourselves as adults and if you are not fully invested it can break you a bit and if this breakage is ignored it becomes a real problem. We must face these fears and demons within us and if we cannot rid ourselves of them we should work with them to accept who we are and how we can help others find themselves too.

I went through a period of my life around 4-5 years ago where I was super unhappy with everything and everyone around me. I tried to speak to my wife about it but to be frank it was a terrible idea as she had always seen me as this pillar of consistency and reliability and it was very difficult for her to break this mould with me. I can't blame her as that has been our existence with each other for the last 15 years.

In the end it was clear to me that I couldn't really rely on anyone for help and once this reality hit home I started to work on myself and bringing myself back into the lives of the people I loved the most. It took a while but I did it and I'm back to my own confident self again.

I really do think that we put so much pressure on ourselves as adults and if you are not fully invested it can break you a bit and if this breakage is ignored it becomes a real problem. We must face these fears and demons within us and if we cannot rid ourselves of them we should work with them to accept who we are and how we can help others find themselves too.

Thank you for the reply.

I've been a bit better, bit having a downer today once I get home. Terrible really, I'm fine at work for the most part.

Thank you for the reply.

I've been a bit better, bit having a downer today once I get home. Terrible really, I'm fine at work for the most part.
Good man, it makes a huge difference to feel just a little bit better but the most important thing is that you can actually admit that you feel better. Take positivity and strength from that, make it your pillar and more forward working on the next thing.

We are all mighty inside, it just takes a bit longer for some of us to find that.

Felt really bad today. Depression / anxiety. 20 plus years a sufferer.

Been trying to come off of medication over last 10 weeks.

Unsuccessful as i went back on it today...

Anyone tried breathing exercises for mental health issues?

Felt really bad today. Depression / anxiety. 20 plus years a sufferer.

Been trying to come off of medication over last 10 weeks.

Unsuccessful as i went back on it today...

Anyone tried breathing exercises for mental health issues?
Why do you feel you need to come off the medication?

Coming towards winter is the worse time to try and come off imo, due to the miserable weather and shorter daylight hours meaning we spent less time outside, as well as the financial and social pressures of things like Christmas.

(Seasonal affective disorder sufferer here - about to go on my meds any time now to help me through winter)

Back
Top Bottom