**The Mental Health Thread**

Why do you feel you need to come off the medication?

Coming towards winter is the worse time to try and come off imo, due to the miserable weather and shorter daylight hours meaning we spent less time outside, as well as the financial and social pressures of things like Christmas.

(Seasonal affective disorder sufferer here - about to go on my meds any time now to help me through winter)

Been on same meds for 20 years.

Thought i could come off of them slowly but last couple days i have been very down / anxious etc...

Other health issues cause my depression too...

Docs seem useless to be honest.

Last edited:
Felt really bad today. Depression / anxiety. 20 plus years a sufferer.

Been trying to come off of medication over last 10 weeks.

Unsuccessful as i went back on it today...

Anyone tried breathing exercises for mental health issues?

10 weeks is way too fast to come of meds you have been on 20 years. You are probably having withdrawal symptoms. It took me 6 months to get of Escitalopram with many rough days.

Breathing and talking therapy have helped me a lot.

Escitalipram is what i am on...

You need to taper super slowly it’s a powerful drug and stopping too quick causes chaos. It takes some people years to fully get off it. DR’s are useless at tapering as they are told by the drug company’s that it’s not addictive and only mild withdrawal should be felt. They are lying ********…….

Try and reduce by 1mg a month and it will help if your DR can swap you to the liquid version as it’s far easier to reduce the dose. Only trouble is it’s mega expensive so they can be reluctant to allow it. There are quite a few support groups for people getting of Escitalopram or Lexapro as the yanks call it.

It was a hell of a rollercoaster getting of it for me luckily I had a lovely lady Dr who had gone through it herself and was super helpful and understanding. My Anxiety was caused by long term steroid use for my U/C.

Try and find an understanding Dr or Nurse it will help loads…

Felt really bad today. Depression / anxiety. 20 plus years a sufferer.

Been trying to come off of medication over last 10 weeks.

Unsuccessful as i went back on it today...

Anyone tried breathing exercises for mental health issues?
Really sorry to hear this, but try to give yourself a little pat on the back for giving it a go.

I tried coming off mine in 2020 with terrible results (I have complex ptsd), and whilst my therapy has changed my life in so many positive ways, I've come to the realisation that if the tablets help to give me a great quality of life, then I'll happily stay on them.

Mindfulness definitely helps, but takes a lot of practice. Eating well, not drinking alcohol and getting out and about to take in your surroundings is also helpful.

You're not alone in your battle and fair play to you for posting this.

Things like mindfulness and breathing techniques can help some people. I think it's important to make it a regular thing, so doing a set of exercises at a certain time each day, perhaps in the afternoon or after work to help relax.

Thanks guys.

Its not been easy. Not good when other health problems are causing issues too.

I want to come off of medication but after 20 years on them its so difficult.

My older brother just doesnt understand at all about mental health. He just thinks its all rubbish etc. So, cant talk to him at all about what i go through. Got nobody i can talk to.

Its a daily struggle.

I was thinking of trying different meds but, its such a pain to go through all that process.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Its not been easy. Not good when other health problems are causing issues too.

I want to come off of medication but after 20 years on them its so difficult.

My older brother just doesnt understand at all about mental health. He just thinks its all rubbish etc. So, cant talk to him at all about what i go through. Got nobody i can talk to.

Its a daily struggle.

I was thinking of trying different meds but, its such a pain to go through all that process.
Did the current medication work when you were taking the full dose?

If yes, then is that a bad thing?

If no, then perhaps speak with your GP about changes.

Having had depression for over 25 years, I was on all of the standard meds and nothing seemed to work. It was only when I decided to get professional help from a psychologist and psychiatrist that I not only got prescribed the right medication (Efexor) but I was then diagnosed with cptsd in 2019.

Did the current medication work when you were taking the full dose?

If yes, then is that a bad thing?

If no, then perhaps speak with your GP about changes.

Having had depression for over 25 years, I was on all of the standard meds and nothing seemed to work. It was only when I decided to get professional help from a psychologist and psychiatrist that I not only got prescribed the right medication (Efexor) but I was then diagnosed with cptsd in 2019.

It worked, to a degree i guess.

Forgot I was subbed to this thread but a little (positive) update from me:
Finally seen a psychiatrist about the ADHD and given medication for it. Initial dose didn't cause any issues and *maybe* helped? New higher dose (36mg knock off Concerta) has changed my entire life!
No longer fatigued, sleeping/resting well, able to focus and read once more and hopefully on the path to fixing myself :)

Forgot I was subbed to this thread but a little (positive) update from me:
Finally seen a psychiatrist about the ADHD and given medication for it. Initial dose didn't cause any issues and *maybe* helped? New higher dose (36mg knock off Concerta) has changed my entire life!
No longer fatigued, sleeping/resting well, able to focus and read once more and hopefully on the path to fixing myself :)

That’s fantastic news…

A little vent.

Struggling a bit at the moment due to being surrounded by negativity. I do have mental health issues. Runs in my whole family. Depression to anxiety to ocd. With me it's depression. Comes and goes and have been great for a long while.

Long story short my relatively wealthy parents/family (mums side) are stuck in a pathetic land dispute over inheritance (now years in).
Its taking its toll that they are both on the brink in terms of mental health. (my mum was committed).
What makes it particularly frustrating.. This is over what is probably worth 10k-20k on a 500k-1mln estate.
All of my mums siblings and parents we'll off. Houses alone 600k-2mln with little or no mortgage. Incredible really.

My sister is same, stressed at work (overloaded in new job) and house buying stress. She will burn out. She's working extended hours to keep up with the pressure.

Friends are absent. Just wanting to stay in and never come out. We started doing stuff online during covid. Now there's always an excuse not to meet up. "yeah I'm up for that".. "OK let's pencil in this date".. "um, I can't because... "

Has a health scare in September. Which really knocked me. A&E multiple times. Resolved now, but really brought home "time is ticking". And frustrated me more my wealthy family are bickering over nothing.

What keeps me going is going out kayaking, biking etc etc. But it's hard with the deluge of negativity/passiveness from people around me.

I'm actively trying to make new friends around my activities. But so far it hasn't worked.found a few kayaking people. But it's become clear they are single and looking. So it's faded out. Trying a new group of not single MTB people next that I've found.

Job is pretty dire too. Working on what's the best course of action here too. Do I want to take a new job in the current market? But I feel. I will have to it's that bad at work.

In an ideal world I'd cut everyone out who's negative. But it's family, so I need to manage this.

I do find it sad that I'd be happier in my own right now with all external people "gone". But am working on this.

So, this isn't a sympathy post. More just venting frustration. I've taken time to insulate my home against the negative financial stuff. And I have (fortunately) no real worries there.

I'm actively trying to fix things I can. Friends. Job. But the family thing is a drag.
Not fancying medical treatment yet as going outdoors is keeping me buoyant right now.

Thanks for reading. Just wanted to pen it down to a neutral audience!

Last edited:
@413x - sounds like you're doing what you can, keeping busy, actively trying to improve; and the circumstances which are impacting you the most are those not in your control (the inheritance woes, and not being able to connect with those around you).

Consistency is key here I think, if you continue to put yourself out their with the kayaking, meeting likeminded people will happen as a matter of course. Difficult as it might be, don't get lost in someone else's issues; by all means offer your advice, then move on. Make sure you're sorting your own oxygen mask out first.

@413x - sounds like you're doing what you can, keeping busy, actively trying to improve; and the circumstances which are impacting you the most are those not in your control (the inheritance woes, and not being able to connect with those around you).

Consistency is key here I think, if you continue to put yourself out their with the kayaking, meeting likeminded people will happen as a matter of course. Difficult as it might be, don't get lost in someone else's issues; by all means offer your advice, then move on. Make sure you're sorting your own oxygen mask out first.

Yeah I've been OK ish. Apart from health scare.
But last night I got a text from my mum at 330 am. Never fun! Saying about the escalation with my step dad's mental health.
Really annoys me that is completely illogical. But it is out of my control.

So it's whacked me today.

Got my first MTB meet this weekend with new people. Looking forward to it.

Best decision I made in life? Moving away from my family area. (they all live under 20 miles from each other, and most 5 miles).

So yeah just a overflow day today!

Last edited:
This year is just getting worse and worse. Dad died at 58 in Feb, my Nan died 10 days ago. Grandad obviously devastated, married for 60 years. Had 3 falls since she passed away. In hospital now, found a tumour on his spine, lost feeling in his legs. Oxygen levels dropping… not looking good.

Just feel like everyone in my life who I love is leaving all at the same time. I wish I could turn back the clock a year. I hate feeling like this.

Back
Top Bottom