**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
@Narj that's awesome

I've been batch cooking and my gas bill has dropped from £40 to £20 this month! I'm confused as to why so much because previously I was using the oven more which is electric, so not like i was using the hob every day. The only real change is the heating is now off. Though maybe it's also that bulb have dropped the rates slightly too

I don't necessarily find it therapeutic but it's certainly been nice to finally try recipes that turn out well :D and my body has been appreciating it too lol

Yep - batches make sense. I've been cooking more than needed and sticking those extra portions in the freezer. I have a lodger these days so it's nice to not just be cooking for myself too :)

I should probably be spending less nowadays but it's worked out about the same in all honesty. If there's one thing I'm doing in lockdown, it's treating myself to nice food and ingredients. I'm offsetting my gluttony with plenty of exercise :D

Re: energy use, I use a halogen oven to do quite a few things these days so that is supposedly more efficient. It also does amazing roast spuds/carrots/parsnips amongst other things!

Soldato
I find it interesting you both recommend going outside. I've taken this lockdown as an opportunity to embrace my inner agoraphobe. I've been leaving the house less than once a week, to collect shopping from click and collect :D

I think I'm not bothered by loss of social life or fresh air, I never liked those anyway. But maybe it'd be good for our relationship if me and my girlfriend didn't have to be 10 feet apart constantly. Could certainly do with some better exercise too.

I've also been investing in better ingredients and some kitchenware upgrades. It's definitely the biggest new expense, but worth it. Properly getting back into cooking!

Soldato
I find it interesting you both recommend going outside. I've taken this lockdown as an opportunity to embrace my inner agoraphobe. I've been leaving the house less than once a week, to collect shopping from click and collect :D

I think I'm not bothered by loss of social life or fresh air, I never liked those anyway. But maybe it'd be good for our relationship if me and my girlfriend didn't have to be 10 feet apart constantly. Could certainly do with some better exercise too.

I've also been investing in better ingredients and some kitchenware upgrades. It's definitely the biggest new expense, but worth it. Properly getting back into cooking!

I see where you're coming from, but oddly, I enjoy the outdoors much more now that I can be alone in public, if that makes sense! Far fewer people about means I can enjoy a nice peaceful walk through the woods, do a bit of wildlife spotting and enjoy the present moment. Each to their own. :)

Soldato
I see where you're coming from, but oddly, I enjoy the outdoors much more now that I can be alone in public, if that makes sense! Far fewer people about means I can enjoy a nice peaceful walk through the woods, do a bit of wildlife spotting and enjoy the present moment. Each to their own. :)
Funnily enough I've been the same. Normally I wouldn't go for a walk unless it was with my mum or nieces and nephews etc. I've not been going every day but I forced myself to and it was lovely because of the lack of people lol

It's a shame I'm starting back at work next week as it would have been good to drive to my mum's early morning and walk from hers to the vineyard that I used to go running through. That would have been a great walk, my local park gives me a half hour walk at most lol. I could do two laps but usually by the time I'm leaving loads of people start to appear. I'll have to save it for the weekends instead :)

Soldato
Funnily enough I've been the same. Normally I wouldn't go for a walk unless it was with my mum or nieces and nephews etc. I've not been going every day but I forced myself to and it was lovely because of the lack of people lol
Surely you can still fit some things around working from home? We're encouraged to stagger our day and fit our hours in however we like within reason.

Yep it's bloody great and I'll be a little sad at going back to a rigid routine again. I'd not gone deliberately exploring/getting lost in the woods since I was a kid so it's definitely been a welcome change.

I think enjoying the peace and quiet has reinforced the idea that I really need to have another go at selling up and moving out of London. Problem is I'm now even more confused about where I want to go than when I first got the idea. :)

Soldato
@Narj work haven't said we can stagger our day. We are usually allowed to accrue and use flexi time but that's normally if my colleague is there to cover my work or vice versa.

We are swapping out so I'll be working from next week and she'll be on furlough. Usually though, with flexi, we have to be starting from 10am at the latest.

The walk I was thinking of doing is normally a good hour's run at least, so walking would take too long on top of the hour round trip to my mum's.

If they open the car park at one of the bigger parks here then I can go for a longer walk there instead :)

Soldato
@Narj work haven't said we can stagger our day. We are usually allowed to accrue and use flexi time but that's normally if my colleague is there to cover my work or vice versa.
<snip>

Meh that's a bit of a pain. As we get more sun hours as the months go on, at least it's getting easier to do late evening jaunts so maybe that's an option. There do tend to be far fewer people around in the mornings although I've not quite managed to force myself out of bed before 7:30am yet. :D

Back on topic, my firm are bang on top of the mental health thing offering all sorts of assistance. People in difficult situations can request priority for a return to the office or an alternative location which is great for them. I wonder how common that is in corporate land given all the recent pushes for awareness.

While I am feeling a bit of work pressure-induced anxiety and demotivation in the current situation, this must be a nasty compounding factor for people with real issues. As I say, from my limited experience it seems trying to disrupt the downward spiral in any way possible is key. Take care of yourselves, all :)

Soldato
I'm going through a weird time. Home alone or at work. Phone my family and girlfriend (who I've not been able to see since March because of coronavirus restrictions) and her living with high risk people.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’m having this really annoying anxiety symptom and was wondering if anyone else gets it.

it’s like a gagging feeling in my throat. Almost feels like my throats narrow and when I move it gets worse instantly and makes me gag. Drops of water help, but it’s so annoying. My stomach is fine, no nausea at all, just this constant gagging feeling in my throat.

Soldato
I’m having this really annoying anxiety symptom and was wondering if anyone else gets it.

it’s like a gagging feeling in my throat. Almost feels like my throats narrow and when I move it gets worse instantly and makes me gag. Drops of water help, but it’s so annoying. My stomach is fine, no nausea at all, just this constant gagging feeling in my throat.

Maybe close your eyes and slow, deep breaths? Not for too long because it'll make you feel ill - like 20 seconds?
A suggestion to help calm you? I'm not a qualified health professional so take it as what it is. :)

Soldato
I'm in a weird place - kinda lost, but kinda not.
Got a job interview for a senior position higher than any I've gone for so technically they should have binned my application and everyone else has even just a small jump up the ladder. But they've invited me for an interview which is just weird.
Need to cycle more but been feeling so tired and just worn out wondering about things.
Cars broken down so added stress there over money and getting to work....

Soldato
Just been told the Clozapine levels in my blood are too high, so they have to reduce the dose and add something else. I'd rather they left me to it.

I'm bricking it as it was the only drug of a few which actually does the job of supressing voices. Before I went on Clozapine I was a jibbering wreck.

Soldato
I'm on clozapine as well, good drug helped me a lot. On 250mg currently what dose are you on? I had one red result where my white cells went to low.

Associate
Luckily i never went on clozapine. Still suffering with hallucinations and anxiety but I also have a lack of motivation. I have been trying not to eat chocolate and crisps as much and go on more walks.

Associate
been on quetiapine for a few weeks and still have hypersonmia, thought it would go after a week or 2. Average 10hrs sleep a night, luckily i've been furloughed. If i can't get switched back to mirtazipine (which i only want for sleep+appetite tbh) I will come off psych meds. Never noticed much from them anyway

Soldato
More ****ed off today than for a long time. It's funny how you can adapt to 24/7 dementia care and feel like you're managing quite well but all it takes is one ****ing idiot "out in the wild" and the response of staff to colour your day.

It's important to remember that it's ok to label certain people's actions as ignorant, lazy and even ****ish. People have marshmallow heads and a jelly cores. Bunch of *****.

Soldato
i dont see myself as part of society tbh theres everyone else and then theres me ,just dont feel i fit in ,ive been doing my own thing for so long now i dont even try to mix with people or make friends .sometimes spend 5 days without a face to face conversation ,but its like im socially self isolating .
put in this thread as its probably a mental illness ? or as im enjoying life maybe its just a choice
maybe im on the spectrum dunno
I'm becoming like this over time. I'm just happy in my own company now and I find being around groups/crowds of people hard work. I would go and live off grid if I thought I was capable of making a success of it. :D

I've also sold a lot of stuff and now own very little, I hate clutter and could move in a Luton easily. I'm also consciously trying to disconnect more from the streses of modern life.

I think it's just called getting older and wanting an easy life. Focusing on yourself if you're in a position to is a good thing IMO :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to join a support group of some kind, for carers.

The last couple of weeks have been hell with very few "good days" and a few bad nights thrown in. I've had to deal with some terrible scenes and very difficult situations alone with my poor mother, and I don't have an outlet. Friends and family are rarely in touch (scared, feel awkward?) and when they do ring, they don't get it. They mean well but there's only so many times I can hear "stay strong", "you're doing great". They don't know what else to say (and I don't blame them for that). I'm running on adrenaline/shock and I need an outlet that understands this hell.

Edit: I feel less stressed now thanks to music, browsing the forum for a while and good dose of CBD. Onwards an upwards (I'll be joining a group though. I can't go on like this and still be an effective carer.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom