The Militaria Thread: Collecting and Identification

Tea Drinker
Don
Yes but nothing is really massively valuable. I think our house insurance covers everything up to individual values of 2k with a few bits listed.

The art and antiquities are in the safe deposit boxes

Tea Drinker
Don
Deactivated Soviet Tokarev TT33 7.62mm Pistol. 1945 dated Izhmash production, in good, original deactivated condition, with holster, spare magazine and cleaning rod. The Tokarev was a reliable, well-made pistol and is based on a Browning type action. Millions were made in Russia and China, and several other communist countries from 1933 until the late 1960s. They are a very tough weapon and capable of taking a lot of abuse. They are still in use to this day, all over the world and many have been captured in Afghanistan recently.

DeFH0n1.jpg

rhxuDRh.jpg

NNxDQsK.jpg

Pk1tGLE.jpg

RJpIAVt.jpg

VTaLDsm.jpg

Soldato
Final update on the luftwaffe clock

My brother-in-law made me a walnut desk mount in his workshop, I've mounted the clock in an acrylic surround painted to match the colour of a typical luftwaffe aircraft panel

RHLdldo.jpg

Associate
Little bit cheeky but I was wondering if any of you collectors could help. i'm trying to track down an original badge for the 79th Welsh armoured division (Hobarts Funnies). I've come across many reproductions that are pretty poor.

the badge I am looking for is the bulls head in a yellow triangle. In fact anything 79th specific would be of great interest to me as my late grandfather was a CSM in the unit.

Soldato
OP
Oooh, missed your latest purchases, Macca! I do want a TT30/TT33 but just haven't got around to it, really. How are you liking it?

The Sten is pretty cool too - from D&B? He was selling some off quite cheaply recently.

I did some cleaning this week and thought I'd take a pic:

ateh8Oeh.jpg
Major points to anyone who can name them all :)

Soldato
Ive seen mention of a militaria facebook group thats active in here previously, can someone clue me in to what its called?

Soldato
OP
Anyone know how legit the worldwidearms swords are?

WWA is well-known as a bit of a minefield (pun intended!). Any sword they list as unique is usually a genuine antique; any sword they list as a pattern or model is almost certainly a reproduction. It's a very annoying way of doing business, I feel. Reproductions have their place and there's no shame in them so why not avoid confusion and call an item what it actually is?

Out of interest, what are you after?

What a great collection, :cool: You need to hang them all on one wall.

Thanks! I have much of it on walls around the house, with 7 around the PC as my man-space. :)

Soldato
WWA is well-known as a bit of a minefield (pun intended!). Any sword they list as unique is usually a genuine antique; any sword they list as a pattern or model is almost certainly a reproduction. It's a very annoying way of doing business, I feel. Reproductions have their place and there's no shame in them so why not avoid confusion and call an item what it actually is?

Out of interest, what are you after?

Yeah thats what I thought. The pattern swords are ridiculously cheap, far too cheap to be real :/ which is sad.

Right now im poking about for a nice 1889/1900p naval cutlass...also looking for a nice deac sks/type56

Soldato
OP
Did you get anything in the end, theleg?

I recently picked up my first Wilkinson. The quality is amazing and I can't wait to research the original owner (about 1875, in date). Plus, it's been sharpened.

mmjQmuVl.jpg
R2v5aLLl.jpg
SWzBKksl.jpg

Soldato
OP
You're probably all subscribers anyway but Hickok45 does at least one really good yt video of a sten gun, amongst thousands of others.

https://youtu.be/jt70ilN_PgU

He's great, as is Forgotten Weapons.

Does it have the owners name on the blade?

Mike Noble has a few interesting British swords on his website at the moment. He really knows his stuff and is a nice chap.

http://www.mjnoble.co.uk/

No owner's name, but most Wilkinsons have a serial number on the blade's spine as the company used it to record who they sold their swords to. Some of the records are minimal but some are quite enlightening.

Thanks for that dealer - I haven't seen him before. :)

Associate
No owner's name, but most Wilkinsons have a serial number on the blade's spine as the company used it to record who they sold their swords to. Some of the records are minimal but some are quite enlightening.

Thanks for that dealer - I haven't seen him before. :)

Yes I know a few people who have had interesting results from Wilkinson sword serial numbers.

I've bought a few items from Mike Noble over the years and always been happy. His prices for antique gun's are generally excellent, better than most other places in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom