The Militaria Thread: Collecting and Identification

Soldato
Did you get anything in the end, theleg?

I recently picked up my first Wilkinson. The quality is amazing and I can't wait to research the original owner (about 1875, in date). Plus, it's been sharpened.

http://i.imgur.com/mmjQmuVl.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/R2v5aLLl.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SWzBKksl.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

I did :o very easy to get carried away spending :o

Ill post up some pics when i get around to it. Nice condition to your new one there.

Soldato
OP
I got a good hit on my Wilkinson - a British officer who rose to the rank of colonel and fought very actively in the India frontier of the Empire for decades. He's mentioned in a few books too. No wonder he bought the best quality fighting sword available - and had it sharpened!

Also, a new purchase has come in, but can anyone identify what's unusual about it?

U8PhLpdl.jpg

The dark colour is a beautiful black patina - hardly any rust or proper pitting at all.

CAVkWCKl.jpg
ciLHEkel.jpg

Associate
Afternoon all, I'm after some assistance. I found a fork a few years ago when helping sort out my Grandma's place after her passing. It's engraved with some numbers. I'm not sure if it's related to my Grandfathers service in the military, but I'm hoping someone here might have some idea.
WOOHp0g.jpg

Soldato
Can anyone help me identify these trench art casings? Bought earlier this year at Martinpuich in the Somme area. Dated 1915 and presumably German rather than allied. Can anyone tell me what type of piece would have fired these?
Casing by Luke, on Flickr
Trench art by Luke, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
@Maccapacca I am insanely jealous! Where did you do that?!

Can anyone help me identify these trench art casings?

Luke, I'm no ordnance collector but I think HL is Haniel (&?) Luege, Düsseldorf (manufacturer), the date is obviously the date it was made, and it looks like it might be 77mm - a guess. The 50 might be a batch number. The thing to Google would be WW1 artillery headstamps for a list of markings. :)

@Sharlaw, sorry - no idea!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ha ha, that's brilliant! I'm not too far from Bisley so I must get down there. Are there lots of hoops to jump through for a novice to have a go there?

Man of Honour
Can anyone help me identify these trench art casings? Bought earlier this year at Martinpuich in the Somme area. Dated 1915 and presumably German rather than allied. Can anyone tell me what type of piece would have fired these?
Casing byLuke, on Flickr
Trench art by Luke, on Flickr

I sent the photo of the shell casing to my eldest son who lives in Germany, and does a bit of collecting/buying/selling himself, but predominantly medals, although he has quite a bit of WW1 stuff in a cabinet.
He has his deceased German father-in-law's WW2 Luger pistol, his father-in-law was in the S.S., but my kid keeps that on the down low, he also has a WW1 pistol, (maybe a Luger, I don't know), which was my German daughter-in-law's grandfather's.
My kid said that H.L. was Haniel Luege, the manufacturer in Düsseldorf, the H.L. 8 was probably an inspection mark, H.L. 50 may be the lot number, and St at the top might mean strengthened.
I didn't ask what kind of piece would have fired it, I'll email him again.

Man of Honour
I sent the photo of the shell casing to my eldest son who lives in Germany, and does a bit of collecting/buying/selling himself, but predominantly medals, although he has quite a bit of WW1 stuff in a cabinet.
He has his deceased German father-in-law's WW2 Luger pistol, his father-in-law was in the S.S., but my kid keeps that on the down low, he also has a WW1 pistol, (maybe a Luger, I don't know), which was my German daughter-in-law's grandfather's.
My kid said that H.L. was Haniel Luege, the manufacturer in Düsseldorf, the H.L. 8 was probably an inspection mark, H.L. 50 may be the lot number, and St at the top might mean strengthened.
I didn't ask what kind of piece would have fired it, I'll email him again.

I've copied and pasted my kid's second reply;

Is it the same one in both pictures? It’s probably a 77mm cartridge case but he needs to measure the diameter to know what fitted inside. Although as it’s been turned into a vase it might be difficult.

If it is 77mm or 7.7cm case then the field gun used is easy enough to find by searching 7.7cm field gun. http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cc/cc24.htm

Back
Top Bottom