The nervous wait to exchange....

• Thread starter Thread starter noj
  • Start date Start date
kitchen wouldn't put me off that looks areet

Weve been looking recently and the overall sqft number can be misleading.
could have all the apace in the world and a cack layout making it feel much smaller.

what sort of areas are you looking?

Sunderland area for the most part. Been looking around the £130k Mark 2/3 bed semis. This house is available for £98k fully referb plus about £10k of solar panels fully paid by the owner (to be discussed how they are connected up tonight). Its on an older estate not sure when the house was built. Also had all the insulation done and achieved a B energy rating.

It just seems really small. Looking at the pictures the living room and kitchen seem veeeeery close, barely bigger than my parents entire living room and they don't have a big house at all.

That's the entire bottem floor (not including the passage with stairs.) I hate fireplaces with a passion just a waste of room. The TV would instantly come of so tacky having it there but they have had to make use of the space. My plan would be take the tv and heater of that chimney wall and put the TV in a normal position lower down flush to the wall (not sure how wide it is but hopefully it's wide enough to put a 65 tv on without overhang) have a family friend who can fix the holes they have put in it for cheap.

Sunderland area for the most part. Been looking around the £130k Mark 2/3 bed semis. This house is available for £98k fully referb plus about £10k of solar panels fully paid by the owner (to be discussed how they are connected up tonight). Its on an older estate not sure when the house was built. Also had all the insulation done and achieved a B energy rating.

It just seems really small. Looking at the pictures the living room and kitchen seem veeeeery close, barely bigger than my parents entire living room and they don't have a big house at all.

That's the entire bottem floor (not including the passage with stairs.) I hate fireplaces with a passion just a waste of room. The TV would instantly come of so tacky having it there but they have had to make use of the space. My plan would be take the tv and heater of that chimney wall and put the TV in a normal position lower down flush to the wall (not sure how wide it is but hopefully it's wide enough to put a 65 tv on without overhang) have a family friend who can fix the holes they have put in it for cheap.
Yeah that's tiny fella. I would be low balling. There aren't many people who would be able to live with that - i.e. when you come to sell it may be an issue.

That's the entire bottem floor (not including the passage with stairs.) I hate fireplaces with a passion just a waste of room. The TV would instantly come of so tacky having it there but they have had to make use of the space. My plan would be take the tv and heater of that chimney wall and put the TV in a normal position lower down flush to the wall
Possibly looks way worse due to poor furniture choice? Two massive sofas are never going to work in that space. Our lounge is larger (4x4m ish with a fireplace) and we'll resolutely stick with a double seater (not a corner sofa!) and one armchair. Otherwise it'll look cramped. The previous occupants had a corner sofa and it looked daft. I'd look at moving the TV to the top-right corner in the pic and just having a double seater sofa on the left facing the fireplace. Saves you work.

Possibly looks way worse due to poor furniture choice? Two massive sofas are never going to work in that space. Our lounge is larger (4x4m ish with a fireplace) and we'll resolutely stick with a double seater (not a corner sofa!) and one armchair. Otherwise it'll look cramped. The previous occupants had a corner sofa and it looked daft. I'd look at moving the TV to the top-right corner in the pic and just having a double seater sofa on the left facing the fireplace. Saves you work.
Here's an alternative view
Yeah that's tiny fella. I would be low balling. There aren't many people who would be able to live with that - i.e. when you come to sell it may be an issue.
Already talked about it they will not accept anything below asking under any circumstances.

Well there would only be a 2 seat sofa opposite the chimney with a bookcase in the gap between chimney and window, small table in the other gap to connect blu ray plus shield and TV on the chimney wall. I'm quite a minimal person I don't like things.

Same as me, when I move in to my new flat I'll be in a similar vein. 2 seater sofa opposite chimney.

You could always lose those doors and put in sliding double doors so you get the whole room without any doors sticking in to the room but I don't know how much wall you have on that left hand side.

Small houses can have benefits to cost of running, and the solar definitely will have some on your bills.

Main questions would be if you have enough space to live there for at least a few years, and then the potential to extend or maintain value to the next buyer.

Your market for buyers will be smaller than usual due to size here though, but I don't know, lower end of the market is usually easier to sell into, with FTB wanting starter homes.

If it were me I'd say those double doors seem a bit domineering in a room that size, and I'd have probably just carried the flooring through both rooms for simplicity rather than a threshold.

Going for another viewing on our purchase this weekend so can also measure up stuff. Our seller is in track to be able to complete their new purchase by 30th. This will bring to a close 6 months since having our offer accepted and one week before our mortgage offer expires….cannot wait to be done with it.

@tamzzy for context we signed our contracts end of may. Congrats for getting there and I hope it’s over soon for you!

@Itchytrigg oh dear. My mortgage expires in 7 weeks so I hope the exchange and completion will be done by then.
Mine exipred end of November and im in the seaches and inquiry phase.

How long does that normally take?

And correct me if i am wrong but after that is done, the next ste is that they draw up the contracts to sign? How long does drawing up a contract take?
After i signed that, i make the bank transfer for deposit and exchange contracts with the vendor and then set a completion date?
At what point does it become "no return" for the vendor? at contract exchange?

Mine exipred end of November and im in the seaches and inquiry phase.

How long does that normally take?

And correct me if i am wrong but after that is done, the next ste is that they draw up the contracts to sign? How long does drawing up a contract take?
After i signed that, i make the bank transfer for deposit and exchange contracts with the vendor and then set a completion date?
At what point does it become "no return" for the vendor? at contract exchange?
Normally should be 4 months from initial enquiries to completion.
Mortgage offers are usually valid for 6 months...I would lock in an offer now before any further impending rate rises (I got a 50% LTV @ 2.35% for 10 years back in April).
Exchange of contracts are when the transaction is legally binding and any party can walk away at any point before then with no repercussions.
Completion is when you become the legal owner of the property and usually set at least 2 weeks after the exchange of contracts (YMMV)

Okay so yeah no to that small 2 bed.
The owners have no idea who owns the solar panels, installed by a friend and the company went bust. They have tried calling energy companies but there is no proof of ownership or paper trail, there is a meter in the loft but they can't do anything with it.
Lots of little things, the "refurb" has been done quick and dirty lots of issues in all rooms with cracking and pealing away.
Also the size, felt claustrophobic, take 3 steps and your from the front wall right into the narrow kitchen.
Back to the hunt :(

Okay so yeah no to that small 2 bed.
The owners have no idea who owns the solar panels, installed by a friend and the company went bust. They have tried calling energy companies but there is no proof of ownership or paper trail, there is a meter in the loft but they can't do anything with it.
Lots of little things, the "refurb" has been done quick and dirty lots of issues in all rooms with cracking and pealing away.
Also the size, felt claustrophobic, take 3 steps and your from the front wall right into the narrow kitchen.
Back to the hunt :(

Biggest investment of your life, best to get something you're happy with for sure.

A smaller place like that would actually likely be better with a more open plan approach, but I'm used to having a bit of room :)

Solar panels were probably installed on one of those lease schemes where you get the generation as it comes in, but the FIT money goes to some company (even if they go bust, someone else usually buys those FIT contracts out).

Essentially you don't own the panels on your own roof in that arrangement, which makes it an awkward sell.

Back
Top Bottom