The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
Really pleased for those that have just completed, congrats.

Just been told the new build for the owners of the house we are buying wont be ready until October (was end Aug, then mid September) not much fun or us slumming it in a small caravan (myself, pregnant Mrs and one large Rottweiler)

This buying a house malarky is a pain in the backside!

Associate
Hi guys,

We have started the buying and selling game this week.

07/09 - Offer accepted on ours
07/09 - Offer accepted on house we are buying
08/09 - Application completed online for mortgage (waiting for telephone interview next week) - Agreement in principle accepted.
08/09 - Solicitor informed and initial paperwork completed.

Hopefully will get this moving fast. We already had a property we wanted to buy so as soon as we accepted the offer on ours we started the offers on it.

Mortgage agreed in principle but a little nervous about having it offered as read a lot of bad stuff with people being declined for no apparent reason but I suppose you only ever read the bad stuff. We are getting a 80% mortgage as we have equity in ours and savings. Also we are asking for 40k less than the maximum Santander would lend us from the principle agreement anyway.

Our seller has no chain and our buyer is completing on their sale in 4 weeks but moving in with family as relocating to Southport. Hopefully this should keep things moving and the only real hold up should be Santander dragging their feet with the offer.

Also the seller is "still taking viewings until we have had our survey done" which I feel is just a make sure you keep everything moving quickly move.

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm dealing with 1st property lawyers and they've just updated my case status for the searches requested 10/9/2015 but under expected received date of these searches it's 8/10/2015. Does it normally take 4 weeks for searches to take place?

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm dealing with 1st property lawyers and they've just updated my case status for the searches requested 10/9/2015 but under expected received date of these searches it's 8/10/2015. Does it normally take 4 weeks for searches to take place?

Less than 10 working days for us.
Maybe there are queries

Soldato
Were due to complete next Fri. However the vendors are moving into rented accommodation and they still haven't found anywhere........

We exchanged 2 weeks ago and they accepted our offer on the 9th July so this hasn't just crept up on them......

Soldato
Hi all,

If you go for the cheapest bidder in terms of a solicitor then............yes.

Soldato
Had the mortgage valuer round yesterday, all fine apart from he asked about the chimney being removed and if it was done correctly. Ive no idea as it was like that when i bought it. Home buyers report next, see what they bring up

Associate
Got notification from mortgage provider yesterday its been approved by the underwriters pending valuation. Managed to get a cancelation for the interview on Thursday so kept that moving along. Should have the valuation booked early next week.

Not bad for a weeks work!

07/09 - Offer accepted on ours
07/09 - Offer accepted on house we are buying
08/09 - Application completed online for mortgage (waiting for telephone interview next week) - Agreement in principle accepted.
08/09 - Solicitor informed and initial paperwork completed.
10/09 - Phone interview with mortgage adviser.
11/09 - Approved by underwriters pending valuation.

Will be booking a home buyers report but this shouldn't slow it down at all.

Soldato
I'm in now and just have to check out of my rented property on Monday before my house gets my full attention. Last few days have been hectic and stressful with trying to sort everything including move, utilities, urgent work needed things required to get me comfortable and finding time to clean up the rented property before Monday. Moving out of a 2nd floor flat with no lift wasn't fun. My target to do that was Sunday but have managed to get everything out and the place completely scrubbed by 4pm today so I can now relax for a few days before going back to work middle of next week. I say "relax" but next few months likely to be pretty busy. For 2-3 weeks I have nothing in the wndows until the quotes come in (no blinds or curtains) and only one leather chair until I get more and broadband not fitted for a few more weeks either. Aerial not fittted (new build) so need that and need lots of things doing including quite a bit of bathroom items like cabinets, towel rails, bog roll holders. Need to get boiler serviced and a minor overflow leak sorted that i have spotted and have found the taps in the en-suite sink are wrong (cold = hot) so will look at sorting that although I could live with it if it requires removal of tapes (not just handles).

Most iimportant task is done.My bed might still be in pieces (using mattress on the floor :) ) but my study is now the focus of my attention. Desk is built and am able to use the laptop with 3G connection until when my PC will also share the 3G connection temporary until the fibre line is up and running in a few weeks.

Congrats to the others who have all completed this week and hope you are all as happy as I am :). I've owned flats before and never had any outdoor space that wasn't communal so the joy of having a detached house with some outdoor space, although not too much as I have no need for it, is great. Need to get a gardener at least temporarily to maintain the couple pieces of grass and deal with the weeds in the block paving.

Don't drink these days but have cracked up a bottle of red that the estate agent gave me when I collected the keys (one red, one white), so any typos down to that :)

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

Took a couple of weeks for me using them. Said 4 weeks originally. normal.

Soldato
After my buyers had their mortgage valuation done last week, i received an email from my agents today saying their "mortgage valuation has gone to offer". I guess that means it was all approved? Fingers crossed they are happy with the building survey also done and we can get things moving.

Associate
Looking for some help guys, have put an offer in on a house, it was accepted yesterday. I've got a AIP with Nationwide and have made the formal mortgage application.

Should i now go out and get myself a solicitor to sort conveyancing or do i need to wait until the mortgage has been approved? First time buyer and to be honest, despite reading many different guides I'm still struggling to get my head around it all. Can someone give me a bullet point, step by step to get things moving as quick as possible please?

Transmission breaker
Don
You can approach some conveyancers and get some quotes, and sometimes it can be advantageous to use a conveyancer close to the mortgage provider (provided their costs stack up against the others)
So the more leg work you do now, the less you have to do later.

Soldato
Looking for some help guys, have put an offer in on a house, it was accepted yesterday. I've got a AIP with Nationwide and have made the formal mortgage application.

Should i now go out and get myself a solicitor to sort conveyancing or do i need to wait until the mortgage has been approved? First time buyer and to be honest, despite reading many different guides I'm still struggling to get my head around it all. Can someone give me a bullet point, step by step to get things moving as quick as possible please?

I'm in the process of buying my first house too.

Got an offer accepted on the Saturday.
On the Monday I went and got my mortgage applied for as well as getting the solicitor sorted.
Thursday the surveyor got sent to the property as well as receiving my solicitors documents in the post.
Monday I returned the required documents to the solicitor.
Now I am just waiting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom