The New European Super (borefest) League

Caporegime
I see most have been asked to resigned from their roles at the PL or they getting removed.

The other 14 CEO's have a whatups group and all are fed up of the Big6 BS.

I don't think we see point deductions or fines but their power must be removed from the PL. They have abused it for to long.

The cartel forces people out of their jobs in a show of power designed to punish those and send a message to anyone who tries to discent will lose their heads.

Message sent. Don't mess with the mafia.

Soldato
There was a chance here to start a reset of football, but sadly the clubs are too fearful, and I will predict there will be either no punishment or a unmeaningful punishment.

The next question is will there be at least reform to prevent a future occurrence? I think its not going to be 50+1 reform, too many challenges. What about a fans veto? I think thats more doable but I think there wont be a drive for that, most owners I expect wont like the thought of having to get their fans say so on football governance policies. Most likely if there is reform there will be something government side to add legal barriers for things like breakaway leagues. But expect it to go to court's if any reform has teeth to it.

Caporegime
I think oversaturation was certainly part of the concern for the neutral viewer.

Watching an English club like Man Utd play Barcelona is all the more of an event for everyone because it hasn't happened often - I think a couple of years ago and then near enough a decade before that? It becomes something far less special if they're playing each other 2 or 3 times a season year in year out.

Nobody ever complains when a Merseyside or Manchester derby comes along 2 every season (sometimes 3-4 times depending on cup draws), so why would it be an issue seeing an English team play a European rival 2-3 times a season? I don't see how it can be any more boring than the Champion's League group stages where teams like Bayern finish with 15 points out of 18 playing in 2nd gear.

Soldato
There was a chance here to start a reset of football, but sadly the clubs are too fearful, and I will predict there will be either no punishment or a unmeaningful punishment.

The next question is will there be at least reform to prevent a future occurrence? I think its not going to be 50+1 reform, too many challenges. What about a fans veto? I think thats more doable but I think there wont be a drive for that, most owners I expect wont like the thought of having to get their fans say so on football governance policies. Most likely if there is reform there will be something government side to add legal barriers for things like breakaway leagues. But expect it to go to court's if any reform has teeth to it.
Punishment for what ? Disrepute sure...can't be a huge punishment for that

Don
God I would be so happy. If it happened I think Usmanov would cut his ties with Everton and stump up for the club.
This is not specific to you rob, it's a general problem but this post and this mentality is a massive part of the issue football faces.

I've never known a group of people that want to have their cake and eat it quite like football supporters. The biggest complaint you see from football supporters, on here, twitter and pretty much everywhere else, is around transfer spend or the lack of it. Supporters constantly want more and more - it doesn't matter how much a club spends (see Utd supporters), they still haven't spent enough. And then we act shocked and offended when clubs put ticket prices up or broadcasters put subscription costs up or when clubs try to launch a super league or refuse to give money to the EFL.

We've helped create the monster that PL football has become and when we're really upset with the owners, we demand they sell-up and the alternative (we hope) is an Usmanov or some backwards state that decapitates people on a daily basis? Another individual, group or state that has no pure intentions and are only interested in exploiting the club and sport for their personal gain, whether that be financial or political.

I've seen Liverpool supporters call for FSG to sell-up after this, not me though. Nobody that's now willing or capable of buying the club will have any better intentions than FSG so why the desperation to jump out of the frying pan, into the fire? Particularly in our case where, on the whole, they've run the club incredibly well.

We've benefited hugely from allowing private ownership of our clubs but this set-up has risks (if clubs fell into the wrong hands) and the constant pressure from supporters on clubs to keep spending and spending has driven driven the relentless drive to create more and more revenue and led to vultures entering the game.

Soldato
This is not specific to you rob, it's a general problem but this post and this mentality is a massive part of the issue football faces.

I've never known a group of people that want to have their cake and eat it quite like football supporters. The biggest complaint you see from football supporters, on here, twitter and pretty much everywhere else, is around transfer spend or the lack of it. Supporters constantly want more and more - it doesn't matter how much a club spends (see Utd supporters), they still haven't spent enough. And then we act shocked and offended when clubs put ticket prices up or broadcasters put subscription costs up or when clubs try to launch a super league or refuse to give money to the EFL.

We've helped create the monster that PL football has become and when we're really upset with the owners, we demand they sell-up and the alternative (we hope) is an Usmanov or some backwards state that decapitates people on a daily basis? Another individual, group or state that has no pure intentions and are only interested in exploiting the club and sport for their personal gain, whether that be financial or political.

I've seen Liverpool supporters call for FSG to sell-up after this, not me though. Nobody that's now willing or capable of buying the club will have any better intentions than FSG so why the desperation to jump out of the frying pan, into the fire? Particularly in our case where, on the whole, they've run the club incredibly well.

We've benefited hugely from allowing private ownership of our clubs but this set-up has risks (if clubs fell into the wrong hands) and the constant pressure from supporters on clubs to keep spending and spending has driven driven the relentless drive to create more and more revenue and led to vultures entering the game.

This 100%

Football fans for the most part moan about many aspects regarding the money, if they want a club to keep spending they have no right to then moan if ticket costs go up, shirts go up etc, if a club keeps spending and increases its wage budget continually they have to recoup the money somewhere, the easiest source for that is the fans. Similar if a club builds a new stadium or adds to it, that cost wont just get covered by sponsors and other means entirely. Take Spurs for example or us when we added to Anfield, the owners had improved it so if they wanted to they could have increased the ticket prices, ours tried but back down due to fan pressure.

John Barnes summed it up quite well in his TalkSport video, supporters and fans want all of the money to be spent, all of the world class players, whilst keeping it all as it is now which from a business point of view is impossible.

Regarding Arsenal if they sell and out of all the Top 6 it would be them id bet on being sold, i doubt it would suddenly mean you improve, weather Arsenal fans feel they have invested enough or not, the fact is they have signed players, at some stage players need to take more blame when they dont deliver, yet a supporters answer will always be "sell and buy more" when in reality it just isnt that easy or simple.

The rumour prior to that tweet was that it may of been us, however for the few mistakes FSG have made, I dont want them gone, over all they have done a very good job. They have expanded our reach as a club, invested in Anfield itself, re-invested money from players where as some owners dont even do that. They also brought us back from the brink of collapsing and our debt is long gone.

It wont ever happen but for me one way to fix the spending when it comes to transfers and wages would be to bring in a wage AND Transfer fee cap that all clubs of any league have to follow, however were at the stage now its impossible to do fairly.

fez

fez

Caporegime
This whole SL has been a great exercise in hypocrisy. From owners, to fans, to ex-players, to pundits etc.

The fans would still watching their team in the SL. The owners would continue to only care about money. Ex-players and pundits would be the first to accept lucrative contracts to commentate and analyse the games.

If people really cared about the crazy money in the game they would have stopped watching it a long time ago. Its been pay to win and a largely closed shop for a long time now. The SL just put that in writing.

Soldato
This whole SL has been a great exercise in hypocrisy. From owners, to fans, to ex-players, to pundits etc.

The fans would still watching their team in the SL. The owners would continue to only care about money. Ex-players and pundits would be the first to accept lucrative contracts to commentate and analyse the games.

If people really cared about the crazy money in the game they would have stopped watching it a long time ago. Its been pay to win and a largely closed shop for a long time now. The SL just put that in writing.

I wouldnt have continued watching Liverpool at Anfield or otherwise. I agree about the pundits bit though. I called Neville out at the time and called him a hypocrite.

Caporegime
a wage and transfer cap would destroy our league, clubs wouldn't be able to compete in Europe and all the big players would just leave. Unless a cap is introduced across all the leagues it is doomed to fail.

Soldato
The media also spun it ad the fans winning, we as supporters won nothing. All its done is put us back as we were.

The rich clubs including my own will stay that way, its still harder on the lower clubs and the lower leagues will still suffer

Soldato
a wage and transfer cap would destroy our league, clubs wouldn't be able to compete in Europe and all the big players would just leave. Unless a cap is introduced across all the leagues it is doomed to fail.
Which is why I said all leagues.

It won't ever, happen anyway if it was going to be done it had to be done from the start

fez

fez

Caporegime
Wasn't this what financial fair play was meant to solve...

No, it was meant to in theory stop clubs from running business models that were completely unsustainable long term when their revenues were not keeping up with expenses. Some people might suggest that it was to stop things like City and Chelsea happening again but who knows. A wage cap is usually a definite figure regardless of your spending power. FFP was simply designed to protect clubs from getting into monetary trouble by overspending. Uniteds overspending looks very different to Burnleys.

Back
Top Bottom