The New European Super (borefest) League

Soldato
Well that’s proof that points deductions and other punishments against clubs would be wrong. It’s not the players or fans fault the owners are greedy turds.

The only other solution would be to have the government step in under the competition law, initially buy 51% of each club, then look at selling those shares back to the fans.

Soldato
The only other solution would be to have the government step in under the competition law, initially buy 51% of each club, then look at selling those shares back to the fans.
They wouldn't need to buy anything. If they did introduce legislation that didn't allow certain groups to have ownership there would just be given a time limit to dispose of the excess share.

Soldato
Well that’s proof that points deductions and other punishments against clubs would be wrong. It’s not the players or fans fault the owners are greedy turds.
So we shouldn't punish the club? plenty of precedents of that - Bolton's point deduction for example. Who did that hurt most? The owners can only be hurt by hurting the club which in turns hurts the players and the fans, but that is not a reason to hold back, just a sad but inexorable consequence.

Soldato
They wouldn't need to buy anything. If they did introduce legislation that didn't allow certain groups to have ownership there would just be given a time limit to dispose of the excess share.

Exactly. This talk of the gov paying out is nonsense. They don't buy half of a company when the competition committee demands it is split up. This would be no different

Soldato
That would be my ideal scenario, but how does investment work? Rich owners can afford to inject millions into their clubs, the fans can’t ready for that.
Companies can have tiered shares, where cost and voting right are weighted differently, so fan shares can be issued without having to cost the same as investment shares or whatever, but the ownership and voting rights are equal.

Share rights can be made such that only fans may hold them, only to a certain total quantity per person/per household, and preventing other entities (owners, board, staff, companies, investment banks etc) from being able to buy or accumulate fan shares

Then with a legal mandate to ensure 51% min fan ownership the club would also be prevented diluting fan shares/voting rights in future offerings, or forcing buy-backs

Soldato
So we shouldn't punish the club? plenty of precedents of that - Bolton's point deduction for example. Who did that hurt most? The owners can only be hurt by hurting the club which in turns hurts the players and the fans, but that is not a reason to hold back, just a sad but inexorable consequence.

What rule are you punishing them for?

fez

fez

Caporegime
That would be my ideal scenario, but how does investment work? Rich owners can afford to inject millions into their clubs, the fans can’t ready for that.

Look at the german league model. If rich owners want to plough money into the club and they can skirt FFP (which lets be honest, they can) then they should be allowed to. Fans owning 51% could only be a good thing though.

Soldato
What rule are you punishing them for?

It wouldn't be me punishing them. It would be the premier league et al and it would be their rules that dictate it. For example:
0_Screen-Shot-2021-04-19-at-080309.png

Also in the premier league principles https://www.premierleague.com/about/statement-of-principles
Fair: Being objective, responsible and trustworthy. Safeguarding the integrity of the game. Thinking of tomorrow when making decisions for today...

1. Integrity
We expect all Premier League Personnel to conduct themselves with integrity and in a manner that reflects positively on the image of the Premier League and football in general. We expect all Premier League Personnel to be reliable, professional, honest and trustworthy both in dealings with each other and third parties. This guiding principle informs the others that follow, and encompasses all aspects of our activities....

5. Compete Fairly
It is the policy of the Premier League to conduct all of our business in an honest and ethical manner. We take a zero-tolerance approach to bribery and corruption and are committed to acting professionally, fairly and with the utmost integrity in all our business dealings and relationships...

I don't have access to the full PL rules the clubs signed up to but I imagine there are clauses for punitive measures and compensations where the principles are not upheld, the image of the PL and the game brought into disrepute, and for breach of conditions. Such as fines and/or automatic points deductions for FFP breaches, club bankruptcy etc.

Soldato
I see most have been asked to resigned from their roles at the PL or they getting removed.

The other 14 CEO's have a whatups group and all are fed up of the Big6 BS.

I don't think we see point deductions or fines but their power must be removed from the PL. They have abused it for to long.

Soldato
I see most have been asked to resigned from their roles at the PL or they getting removed.

The other 14 CEO's have a whatups group and all are fed up of the Big6 BS.

I don't think we see point deductions or fines but their power must be removed from the PL. They have abused it for to long.
As a non-united fan I am dismayed that Ed Woodward has resigned. His replacement could be half decent in the role, help them build a more solid squad, and not give us £80m for another Maguire!

Soldato
As a non-united fan I am dismayed that Ed Woodward has resigned. His replacement could be half decent in the role, help them build a more solid squad, and not give us £80m for another Maguire!
That was just about their special roles and powers at PL meetings etc. Broadcasting, finance etc.

fez

fez

Caporegime

I think EW was simply doing what he was told. I don't think he was the best transfer negotiator but I also think he was brilliant at the commercial side of things and people are going to be surprised how little changes with him gone.

Don
Have we punished the smaller clubs for trying to block the restart of last season and then their attempts at scrapping relegations & promotions?

Nobody bites the hand that feeds them. There might be a token gesture punishment to make it seem like something has happened, like this idea of members being removed from advisory groups but nothing meaningful.
That was just about their special roles and powers at PL meetings etc. Broadcasting, finance etc.
What powers do they (or anybody on these committees) have? They're just little discussion groups on certain topics, with the final decision being made, on whatever the topic, by the entire League. Spurs, for example, don't have a single person in any of these groups.

For example, one of these groups raised the prospect of Richard Scudamore being given a £5m golden goodbye but the final decision was made by a vote by all clubs.

Soldato
“The last 40 PL meetings - at which the six would brief the PL ceo the day before that they want x or if not they will leave - are now a thing of the past. No more big six ******.”

Don
I know but the Sheffield UTD owner is starting to speak out about it and other clubs are fed up.

He be in the championship next year guess he have to deal with Perry.
It's been said 1000 times before and look at the reality of the situation we now find ourselves in. The big 6 lost but still ended up far better off than they were last week and the PL (the other 14 clubs) are worse off.

Unless there is a fundemental change throughout football, with proper regulators or fan ownership (or voting rights) then everything that nearly happened will remain a threat and could (possibly will) happen in 5 or 10 years time. Unfortunately not one PL owner wants a regulator because all PL clubs will lose and it will hurt the othe 14 more than the big 6 - PL money will start being spread more evenly throughout the pyramid, meaning European money, matchday revenue & commercial revenue will become an even more important factor.

edit: The whole Project Big Picture stuff was centred around more European football - they wanted a smaller League to allow them to play more European games. Those extra European games have happened now - it's not ideal for them if the PL remains with 20 teams (because of the congestion) but space is going to be made in the calendar to fit these games in. They've got what was most important to them.

Back
Top Bottom