The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Caporegime
It's a Benro GH2

Not quite a Wimberley maybe but it seems pretty decent and smooth so far! Only had it a month or two though.

I thought it was.
I have h1

My two recent purchases in one
Head
Lens

This also demos why I wanted a camera with articulating screen
And
A tripod with negative angled column
WzwUe7Zl.jpg
onf5ZbFl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I think I'll miss the touch sensitive articulated screen when I get the 7d2 :( I can kinda do without the touch although I'd always prefer it if possible but the lack of articulation on the screen isn't really something you can 'work around' sometimes :/

Guess it's a good job the rest of the features should compensate for that! Who knows, if I'm feeling rich I might keep the 70d as well.

Caporegime
Yeah I think I'll miss the touch sensitive articulated screen when I get the 7d2 :( I can kinda do without the touch although I'd always prefer it if possible but the lack of articulation on the screen isn't really something you can 'work around' sometimes :/

Guess it's a good job the rest of the features should compensate for that! Who knows, if I'm feeling rich I might keep the 70d as well.

Yeah the 7dmk2 unfortunately isn't for me.
I was hoping to get it next year.
Yep, touch doesn't bother me. WiFi is interesting. but particularly the screen is extremely useful. Particularly for macro (as I have written before). If I had never had it I would never miss it

Last edited:
Soldato
Ordered my first ever flash :D lol

Ordered one of those new YN600EX-RT jobbies so when they've finished making the damn thing, some guy in Hong Kong will be sending it to me :D

Whilst looking on FlashHavoc for where to buy the Yongnuo flash I also spotted these:

http://flashhavoc.com/fstoppers-flashdisc-now-available/

It looks quite handy and isn't too expensive so I thought I'd order one too! Bit of a pain in the ass since you can't order directly to the UK (something about them not having a European bank account). Instead I've signed up with a service that lets you order something and get it delivered to an address in the US and then they'll arrange for international shipping.

Should be fun when I get it :D

Soldato
My new D750 and 50mm 1.8. Very pleased with my choice for jumping to FX.

141021_1.jpg

Soldato
Yeah, it's not cheap but there's nothing else like it :D I'm sure I'd love a 500mm F4 or a 400mm F2.8L etc but I love the versatility.

Were you handholding? hehe

Did handhold it a little, mainly when lying down prone though so you can rest your elbow on the ground which makes it a lot easier. Rest of the time was on my monopod.

Was going to nab a 400 2.8 for the day until I saw they had three 200-400s so I decided to go for that instead :)

5D3_7383.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Did handhold it a little, mainly when lying down prone though so you can rest your elbow on the ground which makes it a lot easier. Rest of the time was on my monopod.

Was going to nab a 400 2.8 for the day until I saw they had three 200-400s so I decided to go for that instead :)

It's far from impossible to handhold but it's not easy to do for any length of time.

Did you compare the IQ between having the extender in and out?

Soldato
From an ergonomic pov, the grip is bloody excellent and very comfortable even with my large hands, so much deeper than any other DSLR I've held (never held anything that cost more than £1000 new though).

Associate
Gitzo GT3541 Mountaineer/Manfrotto 332RC2
DSCF6105 by gsharp14, on Flickr

I bought the above combo used in mint condition for £330, though I am looking to replace the Manfrotto head with a Markins Q20i in the near future.

Soldato
It's far from impossible to handhold but it's not easy to do for any length of time.

Did you compare the IQ between having the extender in and out?

Yeah, there's surprisingly little in it really. The loss of a stop is by far the biggest "issue" using the extender, not the reduction in image quality.

Soldato
We'll see what 5D Mk4 brings ! I'm not loyal to any brand, because of the long life cycle, it would be an advantage to swap earlier rather than later.

I presumed as you have such an investment in Canon (at least three bodies, four flashes, eight-ish lenses?) it'd be a non-starter to switch at this point?

Soldato
Yeah, there's surprisingly little in it really. The loss of a stop is by far the biggest "issue" using the extender, not the reduction in image quality.

Yeah I often don't see any clear difference in the images themselves. I've even tried it with an additional 1.4x converter to make it 784mm and it's still not too bad :)

Back
Top Bottom