The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
Yes the eye tracking AF and 40fps electronic shutter is immense - But that alone isn't enough to sway me when just the fundamental things like battery life and price are not where I feel they should be. £1500 for a brand new 5D4 vs £2879 for an R5 is a massive difference for what would be some notable advancements, but not enough to warrant £1379 extra cash really, and then you have to buy more batteries at £120 each because you're only gonna get half the battery life!

For the rest of the AF though, I've got so used to the AF system on the 5D series that it's second nature now, DOF preview button is remapped to be instant hold AI servo, so tracking is no problem although it's not as precise as R series which uses 100% of the sensor as AF points lol.

If I bought right now into mirrorless, only the R3 fits all of my needs, and that is £4294 lowest brand new price :cry:

I'll save up over this year extra cash from shoots and get one I reckon if there's no new news about the R5 mark 2.
Damm is the battery life that bad on the mirrless Canon?

I know that the battery life on my Sony are better than my old 5d4.

Price wise it's not a fair comparison really. Ones a old dlsr and the other a mirrorless.

Of course the old dlsr will be way more cheaper than a mirrorless!

What did you gain from upgrading from the mk 3 to the mark 4?when I did that, I did not see much of a difference imo. The mk3 was already a great camera

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think the biggest step up in the Mk4 is more focus points, more phase detect, and when using live view to focus, you can basically do Eye-AF, or something just behind it. The problem is the lack of flip out screen so can't use it hip height to sneak in photos.

Apart from that...Still UHS-1, and compact flash so needed 2 types of memory cards.

Oh, and more mega pixels, it's like 30 ish.

Man of Honour
Still 61 AF points on the mk4, same as mk3. The accuracy and zones have been revised though and low light AF is better because of the increase DR.

Damm is the battery life that bad on the mirrless Canon?

I know that the battery life on my Sony are better than my old 5d4.

Price wise it's not a fair comparison really. Ones a old dlsr and the other a mirrorless.

Of course the old dlsr will be way more cheaper than a mirrorless!

What did you gain from upgrading from the mk 3 to the mark 4?when I did that, I did not see much of a difference imo. The mk3 was already a great camera

They are still comparable, they are pro category bodies and the 5D4 is still in use today by working professionals all over the world for example. The prices I quoted above are all digitalrev prices, the UK prices are even higher for both systems though. The mirrorless tech isn't new, it's been out for years, just so happens that Canon have been keeping the prices high last few gens.

At £1500 to have the last DSLR Canon will ever make seemed like a nice time to go for that really as they are still available brand new.

Immediate improvements over the 5D3:

• Better high ISO noise with no intrusion of colour banding noise at extremely high ISO thanks to the increased dynamic range. The 5D3 could do 6400ISO but you'd need to use some noise reduction in post. 5D 4 seems to be able to do 12800 without any noise reduction needed and the noise profile is fine grain, so in some shots this would enhance the image as it has that "35mm film noise" aesthetic.
  • AF system revamped/improved, lots of little things like the additional AF zone select button, zoning itself is revamped too
  • More info displayed in the viewfinder meaning no need to look at the top LCD any more to change some settings on the fly
  • Faster buffer flushing for both SD and CF card slots
  • GPS built in, don't have to manually geotag my location shots any more
  • WiFi - Can send images to Lightroom Mobile on location and upload teasers etc with my same LR presets without having to wait to get back home
  • Built in interval timer and Timelapse video mode. You can get this by installing Magic Lantern on the 5D3, but not something you'd want to be installing on a production use body just for data integiruty/reliability - At your own risk basically
  • AF in video is proper now, 1080p 60fps with proper AF and tracking. 4K crps the image in and it's only motion jpeg which is crap, but 1080P is no issue
  • More robust and expansive lens corrections for all Canon lenses:
YffIXNS.jpg

Various other small things too that just add up to a better overall package vs the 5D3.

Edit*
just tried the Yongnuo commander and just like the speedlites, can control it through the camera menus now too!

7t0mGfA.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah didn't realise they were so low 2nd hand, I was set on selling the 3 for like £700 lol but then saw what they go for and decided that it doesn't really make sense and just kept it as backup as it's still a great camera.

Caporegime
I was looking for a new Fuji body for travel, was even contemplating a X-T5 for more mega pixels...then came across this A7R3 yesterday at a below market rate due to some wear on the edges but only 13k shutter count.

Cleaned it up, changed all the settings to my liking, cleaned sensor, put on screen protector and Smallrig base to make it taller to my liking.

42 mega pixels baby with IBIS and eye-AF at 1/3rd of when it came out, don't you love depreciation? :D

8KPo2Yg.jpg

VIIctTn.jpg

Used the flash for a photo to make sure the hotshoe still works

2kZr6h6.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nice, the metal bits that have wear marks showing the silver underneath, you can cover that up with sating touch up car paint pen and it will be basically perfect.
Like this?

Could give it a go I guess. I don't really mind the wear look tbh. Kinda cool.

All together.

U07y8BEl.jpg

Associate
WeMarco rail arrived yesterday, really happy with it and fraction of the price compared to some other firms.

52612117757_e3e01e4c57_c_d.jpg

Super happy with the first run

Man of Honour
That's gloss, would work but you'd get glossy finish over the painted area whereas that body looks like satin finish? basically you want a matte paint pen not glossy. I had to do the same with my phone which has a satin finish metal frame which I scratched so had to use a pen the same way.

Caporegime
That's gloss, would work but you'd get glossy finish over the painted area whereas that body looks like satin finish? basically you want a matte paint pen not glossy. I had to do the same with my phone which has a satin finish metal frame which I scratched so had to use a pen the same way.
This one then?

Soldato
How much did you pay for the R3? Seen one with 29k shutter count online a few weeks ago that went for £1100 but the body was quite beaten up for such a short amount of use.

Caporegime
How much did you pay for the R3? Seen one with 29k shutter count online a few weeks ago that went for £1100 but the body was quite beaten up for such a short amount of use.

This, but I had a few bits and bobs not doing much that i traded in and for £100 towards it. It's also boxed with all the bits as well.

The screenshot was taken before i bought it.

xu8XnDH.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice price, next cheapest one is just over £1200 from MPB which is kind of stupid as you can get them brand new for £1400 for the newer A model too.

I’ve been using the R4 for a while but I’m tempted to move back to the Canon R5 as I just prefer the feel of a DSLR body.

Caporegime
Nice price, next cheapest one is just over £1200 from MPB which is kind of stupid as you can get them brand new for £1400 for the newer A model too.

I’ve been using the R4 for a while but I’m tempted to move back to the Canon R5 as I just prefer the feel of a DSLR body.

Yeah, I think there is one on LCE on Friday that is £1150 in Chicester. No box but comes with a cable release and a Smallrig base L-Bracket. That was in a better condition than mine but it's still quite expensive. Like you said, why would anyone pay that when a new one is like 15% more? Also, I got mine from a LCE that is within driving distance so it was nice to off load a few bits and bobs knocking some money off.

I thought you had a Canon R5?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yep I could never adjust to the ergonomics of a non DSLR shaped body, especially for a long sessions shooter, even if I'm not shooting a paid gig, my personal projecvts and learning sessions can last a good few hours, or just wandering the streets, so ergonomics and back of the hand layout of just buttons helps massively.

It's my only fear once I do go mirrorless though, lack of buttons for key things that currently have buttons so you have to mish mash around menus and button combos. Thankfully with Canon at least, the VFD shows everything useful that the LCD does anyway, so technically you could use an R series by feel alone and watch the info in the VFD. Not used a Sony/Fuji though but logically I would expect them to be the same although I know the button ergonomics are not anywhere near Canon level.

Soldato
Yeah, I think there is one on LCE on Friday that is £1150 in Chicester. No box but comes with a cable release and a Smallrig base L-Bracket. That was in a better condition than mine but it's still quite expensive. Like you said, why would anyone pay that when a new one is like 15% more? Also, I got mine from a LCE that is within driving distance so it was nice to off load a few bits and bobs knocking some money off.

I thought you had a Canon R5?
Even better then if within driving distance as you can see it before you buy too.

I did yeah but swapped back to Sony as I wanted to use the 24GM again and the Tamron 35-150 but the size of the 35-150 just made it a chore to carry around.

We’ll see, I’m not set on moving back but I do miss using a Canon body.

If Sony would put their internals in something similar to a Canon body then I’d stick with them but that’ll never happen.

Back
Top Bottom