The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
A7R2 is here. The immediate thing I noticed was the difference in weight and thickness of the body. The A7R really is a compact thing. But the IBIS, quieter shutter (and silent shooting) with the AF system is a massive upgrade. I've already shot handheld down to 1/10 and got pin sharp images compared to needing 1/100 or risk it being blurred.

Last edited:
Soldato
I need to stop looking at the Leica Q3....

I really need to get back shooting. I have 2x 5D Mark IV with a plethora of other kit just sitting there doing nothing. I need to get that spark back! I love a rangefinder and without going full M11 the Q3 seems absolutely perfect for my uses. 28mm fixedF/1.7 summilux. 60MP and can be cropped to 35/50/85. It's be left in 35mm!

I'm not sure I could face selling off all my kit again.I regretted it last time but then again it's sat there doing nothing and could fund the Q3.

Anyone has any experience with it?

I would love an update to the Fuji GFX 50R....

Last edited:
Soldato
Fuji X100 no good? Must it be FF?

Yep, must be FF. Had an X-Pro1 way back when that was first released and loved it but needs to be FF for me really. The release of the X100 VI was what has got me seriously looking again. Crazy how these cameras has shot up in price since their first iterations!

Caporegime
Yep, must be FF. Had an X-Pro1 way back when that was first released and loved it but needs to be FF for me really. The release of the X100 VI was what has got me seriously looking again. Crazy how these cameras has shot up in price since their first iterations!

Fair enough, I have the X-Pro1 still but if you have an itch for the Q3 then Q3 it is. Personally I think that is a lot of money but they do hold their value well.

Re: the price of the X100..adjusted for inflation, £1299 in 2010 is like £1700 today so the price hasn't really changed.

p.s. sell the Canon if you are not using it. Canon has stopped making EF glass, meaning DSLR's road has finished. Slowly stopping support of their gear too and the price is just going to devalue. If you must, sell both 5DIV, get an R8 (FF, £1400), and and adapter for your lenses. Then at least you can use the lenses with a modern AF system.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair enough, I have the X-Pro1 still but if you have an itch for the Q3 then Q3 it is. Personally I think that is a lot of money but they do hold their value well.

Re: the price of the X100..adjusted for inflation, £1299 in 2010 is like £1700 today so the price hasn't really changed.

p.s. sell the Canon if you are not using it. Canon has stopped making EF glass, meaning DSLR's road has finished. Slowly stopping support of their gear too and the price is just going to devalue. If you must, sell both 5DIV, get an R8 (FF, £1400), and and adapter for your lenses. Then at least you can use the lenses with a modern AF system.

Yeah, that is part of the reason! I was looking at Q2 prices and they are still very strong. I don't think any other camera (apart from an M11) will give me what I want in a camera. As an EDC it's perfect...I just need to qualify the man maths!

As soon as Canon created the mirrorless R5 and the flange distance being different I knew that this was the end of the road for me. Think it's time to flog it all! :(

EDIT - Was looking at my emails from when I bought my X-Pro1 and I got it for £949 from jessops with a XF 18mm lens. I'm sure I had a deal with this where I got a free or very cheap lens as well. Lot of camera for the money!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, that is part of the reason! I was looking at Q2 prices and they are still very strong. I don't think any other camera (apart from an M11) will give me what I want in a camera. As an EDC it's perfect...I just need to qualify the man maths!

As soon as Canon created the mirrorless R5 and the flange distance being different I knew that this was the end of the road for me. Think it's time to flog it all! :(

EDIT - Was looking at my emails from when I bought my X-Pro1 and I got it for £949 from jessops with a XF 18mm lens. I'm sure I had a deal with this where I got a free or very cheap lens as well. Lot of camera for the money!

A little story.

When I was in Kyoto last year, I had on me X100, A7R3 and Olympus OM2. I was at The Philosopher’s Path using the OM2 and all of the sudden a Westerner came up to me to strike up a conversation due to my OM2. An older chap, 60’s may be and he had on him a Sony A74 and we got talking for about 10mins about photography. About half way through he pulled out from his bag a Leica Q2 and the 1 thing he mentioned that the Leica does best is its sensor able to capture gradients in the clouds, especially on an overcast day that no other cameras can. He then went and show me some photos he took on the beach of some surfers and he was right. Of course, there wasn’t any back-to-back photos with the Sony in the same time to compare, but there were texture to the gradient in those files that looked great, even on his phone, in the middle of the day.

Soldato
An older model but was looking to get back into photography so thought I’d start off with this.

Got the 50mm F1.8 to go with it but want to get myself a nice wide angle too.
MjCT3PVm.jpeg
89dC3UOm.jpeg

Soldato
A little story.

When I was in Kyoto last year, I had on me X100, A7R3 and Olympus OM2. I was at The Philosopher’s Path using the OM2 and all of the sudden a Westerner came up to me to strike up a conversation due to my OM2. An older chap, 60’s may be and he had on him a Sony A74 and we got talking for about 10mins about photography. About half way through he pulled out from his bag a Leica Q2 and the 1 thing he mentioned that the Leica does best is its sensor able to capture gradients in the clouds, especially on an overcast day that no other cameras can. He then went and show me some photos he took on the beach of some surfers and he was right. Of course, there wasn’t any back-to-back photos with the Sony in the same time to compare, but there were texture to the gradient in those files that looked great, even on his phone, in the middle of the day.
It's definitely a heart over head decision. I look at it and it reminds me of what made me get into photographing. Throughout my Photojournalism degree I predominantly shot medium format colour film on a Mamiya C330s or a Mamiya 7. I loved every second of the approach to capturing images. Considered, slow, methodical and far more satisfying. People were less bothered by them. The feel you got from the images is hard to qualify. I know there is some Leica magic going on with their processing and when viewing more reviews everyone says the same thing, it reminds them of what got them into photographing and it also makes me hark back to shooting whilst at Uni. I can't shake that itch. Will mull it over and see if I can handle one in a shop somewhere...may be fatal doing so!

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's definitely a heart over head decision. I look at it and it reminds me of what made me get into photographing. Throughout my Photojournalism degree I predominantly shot medium format colour film on a Mamiya C330s or a Mamiya 7. I loved every second of the approach to capturing images. Considered, slow, methodical and far more satisfying. People were less bothered by them. The feel you got from the images is hard to qualify. I know there is some Leica magic going on with their processing and when viewing more reviews everyone says the same thing, it reminds them of what got them into photographing and it also makes me hark back to shooting whilst at Uni. I can't shake that itch. Will mull it over and see if I can handle one in a shop somewhere...may be fatal doing so!

I went back to the hotel and started look at the Q2 that night! It made that much of an impression on me.

Then about a week later the Q3 was announced.

One thing I am put off by is that it is 28mm, I am a pure 35mm shooter at heart.

Soldato

Nothing too exciting, a stack of SD cards and yet another camera bag. Got an easyJet flight coming up and none of my bags were suitable, needed something small but useful so picked up a Lowepro Slingshot SL 250 AW III, for such a small bag I'm impressed. It comfortably holds my A73, 3 lenses, Drone & Controller, Insta360 x3 and all needed accessories for each.

Soldato
I went back to the hotel and started look at the Q2 that night! It made that much of an impression on me.

Then about a week later the Q3 was announced.

One thing I am put off by is that it is 28mm, I am a pure 35mm shooter at heart.
Indeed! The saving grace is the 35mm crop while still having quite a high MP count.

I would prefer a 35mm on it but I guess 28mm gives you more flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom