The new military landrover replacement "The Hawkei"

Soldato
I am Australian. I came to the UK in 2004 and currently reside in the Widlands. I am flying back home to Australia next Wednesday.

:)

LOL you answered my next question, no offence but you dont seem to have a lot of respect for GB so dont let the door bang you on the arse on the way out will ya :)

Man of Honour
What gets to me - even 10 years ago R&D were playing with shear thickening and nanofiber armor hybrids which could significantly reduce the penetration from RPG penetrators/sabot rounds, etc. and diffuse the energy from explosives, maintaining integrity over multiple hits - relatively inexpensively and relatively easy to implement... yet we still see none of it used in the field...

Caporegime
LOL you answered my next question, no offence but you dont seem to have a lot of respect for GB so dont let the door bang you on the arse on the way out will ya :)

If you read my other posts on this forum you will discover that (a) my father was English, (b) my mother's father was English, (c) I have British citizenship and a British passport, and (d) I have a great deal of respect for GB (I came to this country as a dyed in the wool Anglophile) and I will be sad to leave it for quite a number of reasons.

Will you be staying on OcUK ?

Of course. :)

Associate
As the name suggests they are improvised and theres no pattern to the design/build - as above many are remote detonated, but they can use all kinds of trigger mechanisms... if they started using flails regularly the insurgents would just adjust the triggers for a slightly longer delay before detonation.

Back in 2005/6 the insurgents in iraq stared using an iIRbeam across the road to trigger the ied when the front wheels came and broke the beam, so the americans added a piece of a tyre attached to the front of the vehcile on a long pole, within a few weeks, the insurgents added a timer to the beam trigger.

The V shaped hull design originated from Africa, as the place is strewn with land mines, so yet again we brought out the v shaped hull designs, the insurgents start using shaped charge weapons mounted at shoulder height, that will go through almost any armour.

It does not matter what we do, the bad guys always find a way to defeat our counter measures, and usually in a very simple way.

Associate
I've often wondered where they get the explosives from? Do they make them locally or have a way of importing/smuggling them in?

Afghanistan is literally full of old russian weapons and ammo dumps, many of which are known only to the locals/taliban. When the russians pulled out of Afhgan they left pretty everything behind, weapons, ammunition even vehicles and other equipment. The rockets and mortars they fire at us and our bases are all old russian kit.

To make matters worse there are still limited amounts of equipment supplied by the US (and others) to the Afghans, including Man Potable Air Defence Systems.

Man of Honour
I used to work in materials science and while not an area I was involved in seen testing of carbon nanotube/shear strengthening armor hybrids that gave adequate protection against IEDs... ~10 years ago... and I don't see any easy way to compromise it... yet its not used in the field hardly at all if at all.

There are ways to "soften" it up before the IED detonates - but none that are practical in guerilla war scenarios.

Man of Honour
Afghanistan is literally full of old russian weapons and ammo dumps, many of which are known only to the locals/taliban. When the russians pulled out of Afhgan they left pretty everything behind, weapons, ammunition even vehicles and other equipment. The rockets and mortars they fire at us and our bases are all old russian kit.

To make matters worse there are still limited amounts of equipment supplied by the US (and others) to the Afghans, including Man Potable Air Defence Systems.

End of the first gulf war the Americans ditched a serious amount of hardware in that part of the world... a good amount of which is probably used against them (and us) in afghanistan.

Soldato
What gets to me - even 10 years ago R&D were playing with shear thickening and nanofiber armor hybrids which could significantly reduce the penetration from RPG penetrators/sabot rounds, etc. and diffuse the energy from explosives, maintaining integrity over multiple hits - relatively inexpensively and relatively easy to implement... yet we still see none of it used in the field...

I understood that we had fielded a fabric "armour" on many of our APC's over there and that the Americans were interested in using it too. Read about it a few months ago...

Soldato
I love how people jump in to say "It won't stand up to a blast".

Can I ask are you an engineer with experience in blast mechanics? Or have you been given information on the type of materials to be used to build this, the picture there is a design sketch for the newspapers/tender and I do think that before this will be implimented they will be tested to destruction.

KaHn

:D:D

I can hear the faint echo of an 'OWNED'

Soldato
I think the Germans or Italians (or some other European country) are buying these too. They look funky but to be honest I'd rather not be in anything but a Mastiff if I were hit with an IED and that would have to be a small device at that.

Man of Honour
I understood that we had fielded a fabric "armour" on many of our APC's over there and that the Americans were interested in using it too. Read about it a few months ago...

Ah

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/25/tarian_cloth_armour/

and

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/06/darpa_buys_british_armour/

Its not quite the same tho - its just one layer that detonates the RPG at a less than optimal distance...

Stuff I'm talking about was layered directly ontop of the normal armor - along with the above tech would give vehicles great protection from IEDs, RPG and sabot rounds.

If you've watched bang goes the theory (euk) they had another form of it on there.

Back
Top Bottom