The new Orange Android phone (San Francisco) £99...but a Question??

Soldato
I've been looking at this. Might buy one and just sell my pulse. I'm going to wait til after the new year as there is a white version coming out then,i'll be able to unlock it and there should be a custom rom up on modaco for it(hopefully a 2.2 one as well!).

Soldato
OP
Ive a smartsim on the way (well, 2 actually) anyone want to try it out and see if it unlocks ok?

Deal is, if you honestly try it out and give me (and the others on here) a proper account of the unlock..... then you can keep the smartsim.

Any taker?

Soldato
You may be amazed to know that the gpu on this phone may be better than first generation snapdragon chips. That includes the nexus one, htc desire/evo4g/incredible/hd2, xperia x10, dell streak etc. Run neocore 3d benchmark to confirm, remember unlike cheaper phones this isnt getting an advantage because of a low resolution. The MSM7227 was designed in 2009 compared to the old snapdragon QSD8250/QSD8650 chips in 2007, so this is entirely possible.

http://www.qualcomm.com/news/releas...phones-versatile-high-performance-chipset-sup

snap20100927_030430.png
snap20100927_030530.png

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the quadrant benchmark score? Didn't realise it has the same SoC as the HTC legend!
This phone is looking better everyday.

Edit:
it seems the gpu is the same Adreno 200 found in the 1st gen snapdragons.

Last edited:
No stores had the San Francisco in stock where I live so I ordered it via the Orange online store instead, I got an email entitled "Thank you for your Orange order‏" that says that my phone should be with me by tomorrow but I'm am dubious tbh as I had rang Orange previously and they said that the phone was out of stock but I thought I'd take a gamble, order tracking says "Order Being Readied For Dispatch" at the moment, fingers crossed that it actually gets dispatched.

Soldato
No stores had the San Francisco in stock where I live so I ordered it via the Orange online store instead, I got an email entitled "Thank you for your Orange order‏" that says that my phone should be with me by tomorrow but I'm am dubious tbh as I had rang Orange previously and they said that the phone was out of stock but I thought I'd take a gamble, order tracking says "Order Being Readied For Dispatch" at the moment, fingers crossed that it actually gets dispatched.

Let us know how you go because I'm having no luck getting one of these ordered at all.

Soldato
Edit:
it seems the gpu is the same Adreno 200 found in the 1st gen snapdragons.

So why is it getting much better neocore scores? I think sites saying Adreno 200 are guessing.

As for quadrant, I don't have the professional version to get just the gpu score. Quadrant tests everything and benefits a lot from froyo.

Soldato
No idea, maybe they sneaked a underclocked 7230 under the hood :D

The 7227 is found in a lot of mid range Android phones eg, x10 mini, legend etc so the performance should be similar to those (not far off the 1st gen snapdragons)

Maybe running a stock version of android has boosted performance?

How many texture units/max lights does it have? (The adrino 200 has 2/8)

Soldato
No idea, maybe they sneaked a underclocked 7230 under the hood :D

The 7227 is found in a lot of mid range Android phones eg, x10 mini, legend etc so the performance should be similar to those (not far off the 1st gen snapdragons)

Maybe running a stock version of android has boosted performance?

How many texture units/max lights does it have? (The adrino 200 has 2/8)

Apparently it may just be a case of optimisation. It did cross my mind, but I was just confused as to why that would be the case. Someone on modaco has posted on my thread and said Neocore was designed with the MSM chips in mind. I guess thats the explanation.

Soldato
^ Nice

Apparently it may just be a case of optimisation. It did cross my mind, but I was just confused as to why that would be the case. Someone on modaco has posted on my thread and said Neocore was designed with the MSM chips in mind. I guess thats the explanation.

Ah, that explains it. Still what a cracking phone for price!

Soldato
So essentially this is a Legend with a better screen and cheaper casing? Maybe a few cheaper controller/wireless chips here or there but still, how the hell is it so cheap?

And also - i'm rather tempted to sell my i5700 for one of these, just two things:

• I'm on a T-Mobile contract, so what's the crack with unlocking?
  • Having a look around phone recycling websites the i5700 only seems to go for around £40-£50, which really isn't worth it considering you can still get over £100 for an N95. So what would be the best way to sell it?

Thanks, and not that anybody's interested, but the Pulse (which i think has been updated?) is now exactly the same price as this.

Back
Top Bottom