The new Samsung Odyssey G9 Mini Led

Associate
My Neo was delivered yesterday with next day delivery. set it up straight away .. Damn that Curve .. the Curve is just insane .

1) Dual monitor No Good for me , all settings greyed out No gsync on any of the PBP, No HDR in PBP, Pretty useless as this was bought for a dual monitor set up .
2) Local Dimming stopped working when in and out of dual Screen (PBP) , Have to switch to 1 main screen and then turn monitor off for 5 minutes to Local dimming to start working again .
3) I like ultra wide but this made me feel sick in racing games .
4) Intermittent flickering in 240hz mode
5) Going back to the dual screen issue another issue is that if you have PBP on and don't have anything on the other side the terrible No display icon flashing is annoying , its not exactly small either . sometimes i would have just wanted 1 half of the screen lit up .

So regarding all this monitor was back in its box the same night and collection now arranged .

I wouldn't buy this monitor for £600 .Even out of the box the curve is just far to much ..its not even immersive . oh and you really do need a GPU to handle it .

Just not worth it .. even if it was problem free i would still send it back.

Associate
I would buy it for 800 GBP to sell it for 1500 - 1700 GBP :D. But considering the bugs and the features i wouldn't by it for myself :D. I had 4. I'm done with it. No improvement by hardware or software (firmware updates).

As you said the curve is too much, its flickering, the hdr, local dimming is broken and it has a huge list of other big failures:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366513-g9-odyssey-neo-problems/?do=findComment&comment=14985587

You won't pay anything for complete garbage.

Associate
I would buy it for 800 GBP to sell it for 1500 - 1700 GBP :D. But considering the bugs and the features i wouldn't by it for myself :D. I had 4. I'm done with it. No improvement by hardware or software (firmware updates).

As you said the curve is too much, its flickering, the hdr, local dimming is broken and it has a huge list of other big failures:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366513-g9-odyssey-neo-problems/?do=findComment&comment=14985587

You won't pay anything for complete garbage.

After seeing all your comments about the monitor i did wonder if you were just scare mongering (you clearly wasn't) . but seeing it first hand its a waste , its a waste of money and such a horrid gimmick . the 2x 27 - 2560x1440p screen what got me interested but even that don't work as all settings are greyed out. I've sent my AW38 back too but i will order another once i have my refund as dell wouldn't exchange . its a very nice screen and as you said you can get a AW38 and C1 . I have a C9 in my living room as main tv and its faultless , and amazing . i will get another AW38 and wait for the New 42in OLED next year that was a delayed release for this year . that way i got best of both worlds and cost me a little more than the Neo G9 .

I would buy it for £600 too and then sell on lol .. i just wouldn't buy it for myself like you said .

I can see a recall coming on ..

Associate
Could you imagine what kind of people are engineering the G9 and G9 Neo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5mJ1Xlochk

(activate sub titles for english translation :D)

First sentence of the Korean Samsung guy:

"If a monitor doesn't deliver proper picture quality, immersion is impacted, and gamers will eventuall lose their interest in playing."

Wow, he is discribing the G9 Neo :D

"Quantum Matrix is delivering worlds best picture quality."

"Gamers can easily see the advantage of higher contrast."

"Contrast ratio is very important for us!"

He is clearly delusional :D. The washed out picture has very high contrast for sure :D.

And the talk about their complete broken dimming, is making me more laughing. It's a complete farce.

They must be very unskilled if they release such a broken product with a lot failures from the previous gen.

They are kidding themself. The G9 Neo is a rotten zombie of the G9 :D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0U0ZeTmsKU

The best thing you can do is to buy the AW3821DW and C1 or next year C2 :D. I have tested all relevant gaming monitors/mini led and oled tv's, i know which is the best option. A lot of wasted time. But i can help people with their decision, which the 0815 reviews out there couldn't.

Last edited:
Associate
Man I am so sorry to hear you guys are having HDR issues on your panel.

My Neo G9 looks incredible in HDR, very vibrant, no washed out colors, heaps of brightness, sometimes too much. And I do have a CX48 rite next to it to compare it to, so I am not trying to blow smoke here.

Very unfortunate for lots of people who do not get the same HDR image I do, I rekon it may vary from panel to panel.

But I do get scanlines unfortunately. They don't bother me though, hardly noticeable for me in game.

Associate
Lol, i had 4 G9 Neo. Last with newest firmware 1006.1. Incredible with this low brightness and dimming algo?
For sure. CX48 has also no high brightness, but it looks much better as a broken hdr400 edge led like G9 Neo.

You could make a video about your "incredible hdr", i would really like to see it

Scanlines are hardly noticeable :D. If you would use a proper panel, like ips, you would be very bothered by the scanlines and also the fuzzy pixel rendering caused by sva. I see the huge difference instant. Because im using ips since years for daily use.

You could make a video about your "incredible" hdr performance. You could see dimming and brightness performace partially also within a sdr video. If you are able, you can also make a hdr video.

Btw this post is describing your situation:

"I'm seriously starting to think that no Neo is "good", it's just people's experience and their expectations about HDR content that varies. Being someone who works with content creation and has experience with $10K+ HDR10 Reference monitors, I know what to spot looking at a borked HDR implementation, vs supposedly good HDR output (but not really) vs a real, functional one."

whrl.pl/RgjFmI

Extra for you, proper hdr vs. trash hdr (G9 Neo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfN2Xmk7cho

Last edited:
Associate
According to Tim (hwub):

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf&context=3

“Update: I've been provided an early firmware file from Samsung that seems to have made progress towards fixing the HDR gaming problem on my Neo G9. I think my extensive feedback to Samsung helped (at least I hope it did). It's not 100% perfect but it's obviously better than firmware 1006.1, though I am still testing it thoroughly before I include it in my video later this week. Samsung tells me the final version of this firmware will be ready and made public before the end of the month”

and

“I've tested a few games where it can reliably do over 850 nits pretty easily now, but it's still not as bright as some of the IPS-based G-Sync Ultimate displays I've tested. Scanline issue still present, suspect it's a hardware issue

Back
Top Bottom