The next James Bond could be...

Soldato
Personally i don't think it would work, it would be like a white person playing Obama or a slave, doesn't fit.

What?.. Slightly different though isn't it.

Obama and slaves are real. (There are also white slaves... so don't know what you're going on about there).

Whereas James Bond is a fictional character... It really doesn't matter to the story whether he is black or white. If you think colour matters, then i really pity you.

Soldato
Why is there this belief that anything a "white" person can do, a black person must also have access to also? The likes of bond, is a fairly obvious character with a long uk family history, mentioned as white in one of the books, why would there be a need to change his ethnicity/race? I think people get so obsessed with equal rights they forget that some things need not change. Would that mean that an Asian, oriental, female Bond would have to follow? Imagine if they made a remake of the colour purple and used a white cast, extreme but same premise, the story is built around a set of similarly unmovable underpinnings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why is there this belief that anything a "white" person can do, a black person must also have access to also? The likes of bond, is a fairly obvious character with a long uk family history, mentioned as white in one of the books, why would there be a need to change his ethnicity/race? I think people get so obsessed with equal rights they forget that some things need not change. Imagine if they made a remake of the colour purple and used a white cast, extreme but same premise, the story is built around a set of similarly unmovable underpinnings.

You're looking too far into it. There is no MUST or NEED to change the fictional character's "ethnicity or race".
The fact of the matter is, why should this matter at all? He's a great actor, why can't he be Bond?

Don
I like Elba but I can't see him pulling off the charm, wit, accent, etc that the Bond characters usually possess no matter how good of an actor he is. The cockney Luther in him will always come out. :)

Soldato
I like Elba but I can't see him pulling off the charm, wit, accent, etc that the Bond characters usually possess no matter how good of an actor he is. The cockney Luther in him will always come out. :)

Yeah I'm not sure whether he can pull of the slightly posh "British suave" necessary, I've only seen him in the Wire though, which of course he was excellent in.

Soldato

I think he'd pull it off fine. When i first watched The Wire, i didn't have a clue that he was a Londoner.

Soldato
What?.. Slightly different though isn't it.

Obama and slaves are real. (There are also white slaves... so don't know what you're going on about there).

Whereas James Bond is a fictional character... It really doesn't matter to the story whether he is black or white. If you think colour matters, then i really pity you.

No I don't care about colour, I'm not racist. I just don't think James Bond fits being played by a black person.

Back
Top Bottom