The next James Bond could be...

Associate
Why is there this belief that anything a "white" person can do, a black person must also have access to also? The likes of bond, is a fairly obvious character with a long uk family history, mentioned as white in one of the books, why would there be a need to change his ethnicity/race? I think people get so obsessed with equal rights they forget that some things need not change. Would that mean that an Asian, oriental, female Bond would have to follow? Imagine if they made a remake of the colour purple and used a white cast, extreme but same premise, the story is built around a set of similarly unmovable underpinnings.

Yes and how dare they make him a blonde - clearly an attempt of the poisoned entertainment industry to perpetrate the superiority of the aryan race!

Soldato
Yes and how dare they make him a blonde - clearly an attempt of the poisoned entertainment industry to perpetrate the superiority of the aryan race!

Hair colour is somewhat different to race.

Bond as a character is the son of a Scottish father and a Swiss mother. He's not written to be black.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think he would make an amazing Bond. About time the films got a decent reboot!

A fantastic actor who could bring something new to the table.

I thought all of the Bond films, where they change the Bond actor were essentially reboots, I think of "Bond" as more a code name assign to the 007 role, one guys dies, and is replaced, he becomes 007 - James Bond, the only thing that discounts is a female Bond rather than a black/white/yellow Bond...

Associate
Hair colour is somewhat different to race.

Bond as a character is the son of a Scottish father and a Swiss mother. He's not written to be black.

But thats not canon because the book specifically said he had black hair.... and of course you'd never find a Black Scott or Swiss person today!

Caporegime
Bond was written and intended to be white, are we really going to change all this just to play the PC card and "shake things up" a bit?

If we cast a black bond they may as well reboot Bond full stop and keep him as black for the next series of films, because switching the opposite ethnicity of actors within the same continuation is just ridiculous.

Caporegime
Still waiting for some evidence that that would be what they were doing.

Ok maybe that's not their intention, but the point remains that to have a black bond would be to change every book and story every written.

It's not about denying racial equality, it's just about not changing something well-established (concretely, even) in lore just for the sake of it.

EDIT - Not mention half of his arch nemesis and lovers are Russian, and we all know that Russians aren't exactly tolerant or respectful of blacks in general.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ok maybe that's not their intention, but the point remains that to have a black bond would be to change every book and story every written.

It's not about denying racial equality, it's just about not changing something well-established (concretely, even) in lore just for the sake of it.

Not really. I doubt his skin colour is ever actually concretely mentioned in the books, though as said it can be inferred. However, it's still hardly relevant. It's not like it would change the arc of things.

And still I have to ask... Why is it ok that Bond is blonde now? Why is it ok that he has been of varying nationality? Why is it ok for his age to vary wildly? Why is it ok for M to be a woman? Why is it ok for Q to be very old or very young? Why is it ok for Moneypenny to vary wildly in age, appearance, skin colour? Why is it not ok for bond to be black? Why is that the one thing that has to be rigidly adhered to?

Soldato
If a white actor was cast today in a Hollywood version of Othello it wouldn't go down well at all. (as Othello)

I like Elba, I like him a lot, but James Bond is a white man.

I don't want to see Morgan Freeman as Henry VIII. I don't want to see Benedict Cumberbatch as Martin Luther King. I really don't want to see a woman as Dr. Who.

Back
Top Bottom