The next James Bond could be...

Permabanned
If i were in charge i'd make the next bond purple with yellow polka dots. White man, black man, brown man, somewhere in between man, all men.

Caporegime
Bond was written and intended to be white, are we really going to change all this just to play the PC card and "shake things up" a bit?

That was sort of my first reaction, but I've been won round by this sort of argument:

And still I have to ask... Why is it ok that Bond is blonde now? Why is it ok that he has been of varying nationality? Why is it ok for his age to vary wildly? Why is it ok for M to be a woman? Why is it ok for Q to be very old or very young? Why is it ok for Moneypenny to vary wildly in age, appearance, skin colour? Why is it not ok for bond to be black? Why is that the one thing that has to be rigidly adhered to?

Soi I questioned myself and my only thought now is that Elba is a brilliant actor and would make a thoroughly enjoyable and excellent Bond. That's all that really matters. Try not to look upon him as a black man, he's just a really good actor and that's it.

Caporegime
Soi I questioned myself and my only thought now is that Elba is a brilliant actor and would make a thoroughly enjoyable and excellent Bond. That's all that really matters. Try not to look upon him as a black man, he's just a really good actor and that's it.

Ok a question from another perspective... could Jason Statham have played Stringer Bell?

Soldato
Of course, apart from breasts :confused: , it was just better. White or black shouldn't make any difference, this is 2015 not 1915.

Exactly, so Starbuck could have still been male, there were other things that made it better all round and the sex of the character made no difference in the grand scheme of things.

Soldato
Not really. I doubt his skin colour is ever actually concretely mentioned in the books, though as said it can be inferred. However, it's still hardly relevant. It's not like it would change the arc of things.

And still I have to ask... Why is it ok that Bond is blonde now? Why is it ok that he has been of varying nationality? Why is it ok for his age to vary wildly? Why is it ok for M to be a woman? Why is it ok for Q to be very old or very young? Why is it ok for Moneypenny to vary wildly in age, appearance, skin colour? Why is it not ok for bond to be black? Why is that the one thing that has to be rigidly adhered to?

M isn't the same person. It's a codename for their job title and he or she can be replaced at any time by a person of any colour or sex like any other boss. The same goes for Q.
Moneypenny is or was just the secretary and was mainly there for banter/eye candy until they gave her something to do and fleshed her out a bit.

Bond being blonde actually did cause a bit of a fuss when Craig was first announced. Most people got over it as it isn't really a fundamental change to the character, despite it not totally matching up to his description.
All the rest is pretty much semantics.

Do I think Idris could play a brilliant Bond type of character? Without doubt.
Do I think making Bond black would be true to the character? No.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No I don't care about colour, I'm not racist. I just don't think James Bond fits being played by a black person.

Because he is not white?

Not sure if serious.

He's not blonde, either. Nor is M a woman. Nor is Q both an old and a young man.

I was not being serious :).

I just found it funny that Clov!s makes those two statements 'I do not care about colour, but James Bond should not be played by a black person.'

Anyway.

Actors. They act. Ibris is a good actor :) he could quite easily play James Bond. Acting yo.

Soldato
I was not being serious :).

I just found it funny that Clov!s makes those two statements 'I do not care about colour, but James Bond should not be played by a black person.'

Anyway.

Actors. They act. Ibris is a good actor :) he could quite easily play James Bond. Acting yo.

What i said isn't racist. If i was racist i would have said 'No black person should appear on TV in films or shows'. ;)

But my opinion (focus on the word MY) is that i don't think he would fit the role.

I'm not saying he isn't good enough (he's one of my favorite actors tbh) i just don't think he can pull off the 007 charm.

Caporegime
Haha, if you say so.

Ibris is a good actor. Actors pretend to be people, if an actor has to pretend to be a charmer, then he will try his best.

Anyone saying that they think he 'cannot pull off the charm' or anything to that effect is making a very silly statement, you would need to see the actor in the role (audition, rehearsals) to assess how well they can perform the role.

'Heath Ledge cannot be the joker'.

Soldato
I agree Petey, nice one.
Changing hair colour is hardly a biggie, changing skin colour of the MAIN CHARACTER surely is.
Lol at those even slightly hinting at racism from those who suggest Bond should NOT be anything other than white.
Elba is a cracking actor, but i really like Daniel Craig. And as others have said i'm not convinced that Elba could portray the suave and charm that Bond has. He always seems to play rough and edgy characters.
What if Elba was 5ft3in? Would he still be in with a shout? I doubt it.

Soldato
If a white actor was cast today in a Hollywood version of Othello it wouldn't go down well at all. (as Othello)

I like Elba, I like him a lot, but James Bond is a white man.

I don't want to see Morgan Freeman as Henry VIII. I don't want to see Benedict Cumberbatch as Martin Luther King. I really don't want to see a woman as Dr. Who.

Your examples are stupid because they're both actual people.
James Bond is a fictional character

Soldato
What if Batman was black?

Its not a racist thing imho, its just that back story and everything else for a character is prewritten to be of a colour, we might not be racist now but when the books were written they were done in a way, and a time that was more so and certain races just didnt play certain characters.

If Bond was entirely new and made up now then theres no reason he couldnt be black.

It is what it is..

Soldato
What if Batman was black?

Its not a racist thing imho, its just that back story and everything else for a character is prewritten to be of a colour, we might not be racist now but when the books were written they were done in a way, and a time that was more so and certain races just didnt play certain characters.

If Bond was entirely new and made up now then theres no reason he couldnt be black.

It is what it is..

Big Batman fan here, I have no issue with that either!
What would be different?

J.T

J.T

Soldato
I have no issue with this at all, what I can't understand however is why Comics/Films feel the need to change Characters from White to Black or Male to Female when they could instead create a new character/franchise and put the effort into making it great/popular in its own right.

Surely all this really shows is people are lazy and lack imagination.

Back
Top Bottom