****The Nintendo 3DS Thread****

Soldato
Its just staggering. There is literally NO reason for this. The 3DS plays Nintendo 64 games without the slightest problem. So it plays 64 bit games..... but it can't play 16 bit ones?!?!

Nintendo. What the hell happened to you? You used to be the gods of video games. Now your just a joke! :(

It doesn't play N64 games it plays games from the N64 which have been ported to the system (ie. re-engineered specifically for the hardware in the 3DS).

If you don't believe Nintendo, then look at the homebrew scene. They were unable to get SNES emulation working well on the original 3DS hardware. Do you really think they would actively exclude a userbase of around 50 million? That's a lot of sales they'd be missing out on to try and sell a few extra new 3DS units.

Soldato
It doesn't play N64 games it plays games from the N64 which have been ported to the system (ie. re-engineered specifically for the hardware in the 3DS).

If you don't believe Nintendo, then look at the homebrew scene. They were unable to get SNES emulation working well on the original 3DS hardware. Do you really think they would actively exclude a userbase of around 50 million? That's a lot of sales they'd be missing out on to try and sell a few extra new 3DS units.

To add, the homebrew scene also tried operating the n3DS under clocked to 3DS core clocking. The results weren't great :). It was like playing a slide show.

Soldato
To add, the homebrew scene also tried operating the n3DS under clocked to 3DS core clocking. The results weren't great :). It was like playing a slide show.

Weird how the original 3DS has problems emulating the SNES yet phones released around the sametime like the iPhone 4/4S or Samsung S2 had no problems emulating the SNES.

Associate
The luigis mansion 3ds XL bundle is £99 at the gamecollection
Is that reasonable or too much for the older 3ds?

Well despite me not wanting an XL nor the older one
I have bought that luigi bundle

Sort of new to the ds range..
Loved luigis mansion on gamecube (still got it) so looking for other games
What other must have games are there - preferably cheap haha

Soldato
I got Links Awakening from the Virtual Console. First thing I've ever bought from it. I still have the original game along with my old Gameboy in a cupboard somewhere. Good game.

Associate
May of been asked before, but playing my 3ds xl tonight and my thumb keeps coming off the analog pad.
Anyone else have this issue and if so how you resolve it?

Other than that, im loving it
Amidst all the shooters etc in the world, there is something magical and feels right playing a nintendo game

Soldato
Hyrule Warriors Legends seemed alright, from the demo.
I've not got a Wii U, so hadnt played it before.

The enemy pop in, is horrendous though... Not sure if this is just an "old 3ds" issue though?

Associate
May of been asked before, but playing my 3ds xl tonight and my thumb keeps coming off the analog pad.
Anyone else have this issue and if so how you resolve it?

Other than that, im loving it
Amidst all the shooters etc in the world, there is something magical and feels right playing a nintendo game

Yeah its a bit of a pain in the bum, it's my one minor gripe about the system. I usually combat it by by using the edge of my thumb on the edge of the circle pad, if that makes any sense (i.e. if i'm moving right i push the left hand edge with the side of my thumb rather than place it on top).

Associate
I just found out about the SNES games getting released on the 3DS. Which I was very happy about.

Then I found out MY 3DS won't play the games. So I need to buy ANOTHER 3DS even though mine still works perfectly fine?! What fresh madness is this?

Modern Day Nintendo. I feel like I've been the only one criticising them and shouting doom and gloom about their handhelds (even though I've avidly been playing Pokemon on 3DS again the past couple of weeks). But...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-a1IaNX2Ls

I'm not even going to bother arguing here. One of the biggest reasons for rampant piracy and modding of 3DS is because of Nintendo screwing over legit users with lack of solutions or features that just aren't good enough. Example: Region-lock. Want to play a US game on your EU 3DS? Too bad, you can't do it legit cos region-lock. You can if you hack your 3DS.

I feel like a broken record, but the best way to combat piracy is to provide a better service or product. I know an awful lot of folks that would have just bought a game instead of pirating it if there weren't archaic restrictions like region-lock.

Its Nintendo trying to get you to buy a console you already own so you can play a very few selected games. Im disappointed in this strategy, the company seems to be divided in there sales tactics right now, all this Day One DLC, staggered releases of games and Gated content on consoles ****es me off.

Im almost done with Nintendo as a customer, im waiting on the EU release of Fire Emblem and thats about it for me.

+1 (I'll admit I hate n3DS with a passion)

Don't forget micro-transactions in full-priced games! I felt disgusted that an amazing game like Bravely Default had micro-transactions, despite the fact that the particular game mechanic was never used, was pointless and that it was easy to get the stuff without micro-transactions. But I've adopted a hard-policy on such games after refunding my pre-order of MGS5 last year (luckily OCUK sent me a free code in a GPU promotion). If it is not a free-to-play game, costs more than £20/$30 (cheaper games with cosmetic-only is fine) and has micro-transactions... I will not buy it. Thus I am sad to admit that I won't be buying Bravely Second, which retains the micro-transactions like it's predecessor. A shame since I've heard the game itself is even better than the original. And people thought Konami were bad...

I also won't be buying Fire Emblem because of the BSery surrounding the release of that game. Splitting the game up kinda works with Pokemon. Not in the least because they actually add significant content to their remakes/3rd games. But I just don't see it being a good thing with Fire Emblem. Story-driven games on other systems also offer major choices, but at least they don't make you pay extra to play both/multiple paths.

yep old 3ds just not as new, the New 3DS offers more memory, a beefier processor, improved 3D visuals, and a built-in right analog stick

Doesn't mean jack when they games play essentially the same between old and new 3DS (framerate of MHX is 30 on both old and new 3DS). The resolution remains the same archaic 400x240 (AKA slightly worse than original PSP), even the cheapest smartphones don't have such low resolutions. But here's the funny thing, the new 3DS can give you a performance boost and you can play with overclocked CPU ...if you hack your 3DS that is. Yet another example of Nintendo failing where the pirates save their bacon... that's not healthy for a video games company.

Apologies for the long post. I don't think I've been on the forums for like half a month. So I'm getting a lot out at once.

Last edited:
Soldato
Amazon.de currenty has the Fire Emblem Fates: Special Edition up for pre order if anyone is looking for it, this was up on the france amazon and sold out quick.

Soldato
Would i regret buy a *new*3DS XL with all this talk about the NX and potential portable counterpart?

Basically i have the original 3DS and it hurts my hands playing because it's far too small so i'm going for the XL as it feels much nicer and i figured i may as well get the new 3DS.

Caporegime
I picked up a 3DS XL for like £28 on a local FB group. Don't see the point in the New one unless I want one of the specific games for it.

Associate
Anyone getting Fire Emblem Fates Special edition on here? I'm thinking it'll be in the £90 ball park figure, worth it? or shall I just get the regular version? I loved awakening and went from there onto the GBA releases (loved that pixel art!)

Back
Top Bottom