****The Nintendo 3DS Thread****

Associate
Anyone getting Fire Emblem Fates Special edition on here? I'm thinking it'll be in the £90 ball park figure, worth it? or shall I just get the regular version? I loved awakening and went from there onto the GBA releases (loved that pixel art!)

I am definitely planning on getting it I'm just waiting for someone to put it up for order and I'm worried I will miss out as it sold out quickly in the US.

Associate
Anyone getting Fire Emblem Fates Special edition on here? I'm thinking it'll be in the £90 ball park figure, worth it? or shall I just get the regular version? I loved awakening and went from there onto the GBA releases (loved that pixel art!)

Been waiting a really long time for it. £90 is probably a safe bet although I'm hoping Amazon will offer it for £10-20 cheaper. If the official Nintendo shop can offer a bundle with the New 3DS then I'll probably jump on that deal.

If you're interesting in the Special Edition, these links might be of interest to you:

https://www.nowinstock.net/uk/videogaming/games/fireemblemfates/

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/49eona/the_big_european_preorder_thread/?sort=new

Associate
£90 is probably a safe bet although I'm hoping Amazon will offer it for £10-20 cheaper.

I probably shouldn't post on this thread given my tendency for...

Anyhow, £90 for something that should be £40-£60 at best (other Nintendo special editions have been priced so)? I liked the first game mostly, but no thanks. (especially since my eyes are on a new mouse)

Heads up for folks looking forward to Pokemon Gen 7 (Sun and Moon), next Sunday some info and game footage will be released. It'll be aired in Japan, but it'll probably be translated. Here's one source:http://gematsu.com/2016/03/first-pokemon-sun-moon-gameplay-footage-april-3

Oh, and I also found this poll concerning 3DS usage. I think it would be appreciated if as many 3DS users answered it for the most accurate results.

http://strawpoll.me/7198318

Associate
Anyhow, £90 for something that should be £40-£60 at best (other Nintendo special editions have been priced so)? I liked the first game mostly, but no thanks. (especially since my eyes are on a new mouse)

http://strawpoll.me/7198318

That's exactly how I feel despite people on Reddit insisting it's 3 games in 1. If two Pokemon games were installed on one cartridge I'd expect them to sell it at a discount, not charge a bloody premium for it.

Soldato
MSRP in the US was $80 so it should be around £60 here IF you can get one at that price.

The difference between Fire Emblem games and Pokemon games seems as lot bigger though. So whereas I don't feel as though I'm missing out by only buying one version of Pokemon, I would feel as though I'm missing out if I only picked up one version of FE.

Last edited:
Associate
Been waiting a really long time for it. £90 is probably a safe bet although I'm hoping Amazon will offer it for £10-20 cheaper. If the official Nintendo shop can offer a bundle with the New 3DS then I'll probably jump on that deal.

If you're interesting in the Special Edition, these links might be of interest to you:

https://www.nowinstock.net/uk/videogaming/games/fireemblemfates/

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/49eona/the_big_european_preorder_thread/?sort=new

Thanks I'll keep a look out, I know they charge a lot for the SE but fire emblem is a game I can sink so much time into plus I'm hoping it will have amibo support to unlock characters and extra chapters for them.

Associate
That's exactly how I feel despite people on Reddit insisting it's 3 games in 1. If two Pokemon games were installed on one cartridge I'd expect them to sell it at a discount, not charge a bloody premium for it.

The Nintendo subreddit is not a nice place, take my word for it. Sounds to me like fanboys being very protective of Nintendo's decisions. I bet they must be loaded with cash to accept paying more money for less.

MSRP in the US was $80 so it should be around £60 here IF you can get one at that price.

The difference between Fire Emblem games and Pokemon games seems as lot bigger though. So whereas I don't feel as though I'm missing out by only buying one version of Pokemon, I would feel as though I'm missing out if I only picked up one version of FE.

£60 sounds much more reasonable, but that's still iffy. And the Pokemon analogy is sound. While I've always been iffy about it (2 sequel games was one reason I disliked gen 5), it makes sense there since you don't actually miss out on much by not buying the other game. The version exclusives can be traded for. That and the sequel games usually combined both into one.

Whereas with Fire Emblem, there's no 'trading for content' from the other game. They've effectively monetised multiple paths in games. Instead of choosing in the middle of playing, one must choose before purchase. I look at the likes of Witcher 2, that had multiple paths but there was no paying extra for those. The '3rd game' for Fire Emblem doesn't even combine the other 2, it's completely seperate content. This sort of thing makes me not want to buy the game at all.

This recent stingyness and overpricing of games is one reason why I'm upset at Nintendo these days. And what's worse are the folks that accept/defend it, they're the same folks who'll complain about EA season passes and cut content in other games. Talk about double standards.

I apologise if I've annoyed folks with my constant Nintendo hate. I'll just get back to playing Pokemon OmegaRuby on my 3DS right now.

Soldato
The Nintendo subreddit is not a nice place, take my word for it. Sounds to me like fanboys being very protective of Nintendo's decisions. I bet they must be loaded with cash to accept paying more money for less.
That sub is absolute poison.
They defend every decision that Nintendo makes.

Someone pointed out that Sony pretty much won this generation and they refused to admit it. I seem to remember one poster even saying what do sales matter.

I almost crapped myself with laughter

Soldato
Just grabbed it thanks to the now on stock site alerts. I may end up swapping to Amazon if they end up being a bit cheaper but I'm relieved as hell to actually get one. Knowing Game though they'll end up cancelling it...

Associate
Just grabbed it thanks to the now on stock site alerts. I may end up swapping to Amazon if they end up being a bit cheaper but I'm relieved as hell to actually get one. Knowing Game though they'll end up cancelling it...

£69.99 is a great price considering all pre-orders for Birthright and Conquest are priced at £34.99. Don't forget it'll be coming with Revelations as well.

Soldato
£69.99 is a great price considering all pre-orders for Birthright and Conquest are priced at £34.99. Don't forget it'll be coming with Revelations as well.

Yeah I'm more than happy to pay the price, Amazon are often a few quid cheaper than the rest though and with GAME's sketchy past with Pre-orders I'd prefer to buy from Amazon.

Associate
Yeah I'm more than happy to pay the price, Amazon are often a few quid cheaper than the rest though and with GAME's sketchy past with Pre-orders I'd prefer to buy from Amazon.

Game is claiming exclusivity for the Special Edition (on their website and on Twitter). We'll see how long this claim remains true.

Edit:

Nintendo UK retweeted Game's announcement
"GAME.co.uk ‏@GAMEdigital *PRE ORDER* #FireEmblemFates Special Edt. has LANDED. Your battle. Your future. Your fate: http://bit.ly/1Ry0ntM "

https://twitter.com/GAMEdigital/status/715086684367491072

Last edited:
Associate
Regardless of whether the game is appropriately priced (I still think £70 for something that should cost £40 is a ripoff), regardless of whether you'll actually enjoy the game, just don't pre-order. You aren't even missing out on anything by not pre-ordering, there's no pre-order bonus. If there's issues with stock, that's the retailer's problem. I understand that it's unlikely there'll be any day 1 issues since it's a Nintendo game (*cough* Hyrule Warriors 3DS *cough*), even so you don't miss out on anything by just buying on launch/post-launch instead. If you're concerned about supporting the game, the stats that matter are release week/weekend sales, not pre-orders. I will also take this opportunity to post my favourite gif right now:

hz2PYe4.gif

Here's a small story about not pre-ordering: Around about this time last year, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was released. Despite being very excited for the game and knowing that I would buy it no matter what, I decided not to pre-order. Especially since there was something dodgy going on with reviews (embargo was day before release). Release day Friday came, reviews were good, so I ordered my copy online from game.co.uk. Since I ordered on a Friday, I expected it to arrive on Monday. Sunday morning, I go to the front door and see that it had been delivered the previous day (Saturday). What's more, it included the pre-order bonus (a cheap, tacky 3DS case I ended up using as a temporary mousemat) despite me not having pre-ordered it. That was the best experience 'not-preordering' I've had recently.

GAME's exclusivity claim is a bit iffy to me, not even the Official Nintendo Store has not listed any of the 3 games. I will say, look out for prices on Amazon or especially European Amazon, since the prices can be much better. Currently, not in stock though. And if you're buying digital, you can buy the extra stuff as DLC, apparently it costs roughly the same.

That sub is absolute poison.
They defend every decision that Nintendo makes.

Here's a glimmer of hope, however small. I got this reply after having the balls to say a few things about how Fire emblem is being sold:

MBuOplA.png

If you're sick of hearing my own repetitive opinion on the matter, here's a quote from the Polygon review of the game for a neutral stance:

If that three-way split were purely superficial, it could be dismissed as a damning, crass business tactic, one that takes the Pokémon generational split to new extremes. That argument is compounded by the fact that Fates' full story unfurls across all three versions, meaning players must complete each one to follow the plot to its true end.

But Fire Emblem Fates' divided campaign isn't a superficial facet of the game at all; it's its raison d'être, and it makes for a captivating story within each game that will leave you constantly wondering how the other thirds live.

TLDR It's worse than I thought... it sounds like one must literally play all 3 to get the full story. There goes the argument that buying the other 2 paths is optional...

Enough negativity, here's some solid and helpful info to make up for it. Some info to help you choose which game to get/start with.

The actual differences between each version:

-Plot, obviously. The games are identical up until chapter 6 where the split occurs
-Due to the above, there's a different cast of recruitable characters in each version
-Birthright is the newcomer friendly version, Conquest is the more 'classic' version
-Missions are replayable in Birthright, not replayable in Conquest
-Simpler mission objectives in Birthright, more complex objectives in Conquest
-Items and and money have higher drop rates in Birthright, much rarer in Conquest
-It's possible to grind levels in Birthright, not in Conquest. Every kill counts in Conquest, thus a need to manage unit xp gain through kills
-Revelations (the 3rd game) combines aspects of both games and allows all of the characters from Birthright and Conquest to be recruited

One player of the Japanese version mentioned that Conquest was so hard, they got stuck in chapter 10 and ended up buying Birthright, which they ended up enjoying more. Long story short, Birthright presents more options and customisation, whilst Conquest is the hard as nails version. It's more than simply a choice of plotline.

I should probably stop posting in this thread, but as the one (and possibly only) nice person from /r/Nintendo put it, I complain cos I care. And that's true. I enjoyed Awakening, so I'd like to be able to enjoy this game too.

Last edited:
Associate
GAME finally has the pre-order up for Fire Emblem: Fates SPECIAL EDITION (since 10:00PM last night). Get it before it's gone!!

And the scalpers are already cashing in ... looking on the Jungle site someone is selling his pre-ordered copy, when it is released, for £250.

Sigh :rolleyes:

Caporegime
I guess one could look at it that way however I personally never continued the game after completing the story.

Dang your missing iut. Completing the badges just unlocks the game really so you can breed, train, compete and collect. I have a couple of carts with 300 hours plus! Gotta get those iv perfect, ideally shiny egg move pokes and taje them online for battling! Or battle tower to get points for battle items to then take online!

Pokemon is so simple yet so beautiful in its implementation. I feel that it truly is one of the best ever rpg series. Sure it doesn't have the story depth of say ffvii, but the variation of moves, pokemons, iv's, ev's, nature's etc it's actually very complex underneath.

Back
Top Bottom