The **Now Drinking** Thread

Soldato
Been pretty quiet in here of late, where are all the drunks at?

I'm having a Duvel.

It's relatively quiet everywhere of late :confused::(

Anyway, my favorite drink of all:

OldFashioned.jpg

An Old Fashioned.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Been pretty quiet in here of late, where are all the drunks at?

Sorry, I was away for the weekend :p
Was at a friend's 40th birthday celebrations over the weekend - had some cans of Greene King IPA, Hobgoblin and Directors with me. Also had a bottle of the 16yo Jura (which is lovely) with me and a bottle of 15yo single barrel Balvenie (IMO, the best of the Balvenie range - including the considerably more expensive 17yo and 21yo).

Got home last night and went out for a beer with Von Smallhausen. Had a couple of pints of Arbeia's X in my local (The Maltings - which is a Jarrow brewery pub). It's a special beer to mark their 10th anniversary and is very good indeed. Had a couple of pints of Steam Porter in the Steamboat after that, which was also very good.

Having a night in tonight with a bottle of Castillo Catadau Gran Riserva 2005. A very smooth and tasty red made from Tempranillo grapes.

Soldato
Flare, awesome drink. Must make more of them at home.
Stan, sounds like a great couple of days. Bar the Greene King. Such a boring and crap beer. An insult to the IPA name!

Duvel, second (and last) bottle.

Soldato
Getting badly addicted to brew dog drinks, had one of the 3am saint one dead pony club and now on a bigger punk ipa after a couple of dinner wines...

Need more brew dog drinks down here

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Stan, sounds like a great couple of days. Bar the Greene King. Such a boring and crap beer. An insult to the IPA name!

Was a fantastic couple of days.

I disagree about the Greene King. Admittedly it's far from being the best IPA but I wouldn't call it crap - boring, yes; crap, no - it's no worse than Deuchars which is one of the most overrated beers ever.
I wanted to take cans with me as bottles would have been too much hassle for a whole weekend's drinking and, from the choices available in Morrison's, the 3 I took were the best available (it was either that or Old Speckled Hen which is even more overrated than Deuchars :p).

That aside; if you haven't tried the 16yo Jura, do so, it's very nice indeed.

Soldato
Getting badly addicted to brew dog drinks, had one of the 3am saint one dead pony club and now on a bigger punk ipa after a couple of dinner wines...

Need more brew dog drinks down here

You're making me want to go to my local Brewdog bar.

Definitely not trying to make you jealous here :p

Soldato

Mmm, makes me want to go back and work for them. Free beer, straight out of the fermenter you say? Oh go on then.

PS. Pingwing, it's 5 A.M. Saint, not 3.

Was a fantastic couple of days.

I disagree about the Greene King. Admittedly it's far from being the best IPA but I wouldn't call it crap - boring, yes; crap, no - it's no worse than Deuchars which is one of the most overrated beers ever.
I wanted to take cans with me as bottles would have been too much hassle for a whole weekend's drinking and, from the choices available in Morrison's, the 3 I took were the best available (it was either that or Old Speckled Hen which is even more overrated than Deuchars :p).

That aside; if you haven't tried the 16yo Jura, do so, it's very nice indeed.

Yea, don't rate Deuchars either. I don't mind Speckled Hen though. :p

I have certainly tried the 16yo Jura, but it was a night of heavy drinking and can't remember it awfully well. I'm spending all my money on beers atm, don't have any left to be buying any whisky atm. However, it is my birthday at the end of November. I'll accept gifts from the La Cuisine regulars. :D

Soldato

:eek: might have to get the train to one... Probably worth it...

Mmm, makes me want to go back and work for them. Free beer, straight out of the fermenter you say? Oh go on then.

PS. Pingwing, it's 5 A.M. Saint, not 3.

Haha iv been referring to it as the red good one and guessing at the name. I'll learn after having more.

Plus sounds like you win in the best job stakes!

Associate
Got home last night and went out for a beer with Von Smallhausen. Had a couple of pints of Arbeia's X in my local (The Maltings - which is a Jarrow brewery pub). It's a special beer to mark their 10th anniversary and is very good indeed. Had a couple of pints of Steam Porter in the Steamboat after that, which was also very good.

You're a lucky man having The Maltings as your local, quite often take the metro down to Shields to visit it. I would love a local like that but living in the west end of Newcastle there is not one single bar for miles.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
You're a lucky man having The Maltings as your local, quite often take the metro down to Shields to visit it. I would love a local like that but living in the west end of Newcastle there is not one single bar for miles.

I know. I lived in Jesmond for 3 1/2 years and was dismayed by the lack of decent pubs in the area. I had to walk miles to get a decent one. So glad I moved to Shields, there are quite a few good pubs here.

If you come through to the Maltings, you might want to try the Steamboat and the Alum House as well - they're both excellent real ale pubs. Give me a shout if you're coming through sometime and we could have a pint or two :)

Back
Top Bottom